Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part III<Closed. Please use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I understand.
I like vanilla and gentoo souces.
Maybe try tuxonice someday, hibernation is a new concept for me.

Funny how new hardware, incurs a learning curve.

Later dude.

MH
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Not really. The big claim to fame of tuxonice is that it's fully set up to handle hibernation. Along with tuxonice sources, you also get some scripts to make this happen as well. If the ability to hibernate is important, then by all means, use tuxonice sources. If it isn't, then stay where you are.

Other than the ability to hibernate, tuxonice sources are vanilla. For that reason, I can say that you really won't gain much if you switch sources unless hibernation isn't working for you under Gentoo sources.

Cheers,
Pappy

even still, with zen including the tuxonice patchset, i see no compelling reason to use the latter over the former given the other goodies zen brings. Unless there's a problem with a new version of said patchset

isnt gentoo-sources nothing more than vanilla + fbcon patch?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are one or two more options that are added along with fbdecor...but not a whole lot more. The zen sources with tuxonice would definitely have much more to offer. That is if zen sources go back into production again. I'm still waiting for a .34 zen version.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just when you and I thought that there wouldn't be another hardened-sources for another six months or so, another one appears on the scene. I have uploaded the .configs for 2.6.32.15 and 2.6.32-hardened-r8 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Could this be a sign of the apocalypse?

Cheers.
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Bob A. for his most generous donation to the site. His name has been added to the Above and Beyond page. My most deep and sincere thanks for your support of Linux Kernel Seeds.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r11 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I discovered with my laptop, a fully encrypted disk is incompatible with hibernation, at least the tuxonice way.

What I would like to see is hibernation that worked by making the system state snapshot on a disk file, followed by a manual shutdown. This would be like the old IBM OS/360 checkpoint/restart feature: you manually say you want to capture a restartable state, but then you can either continue, or shut down, at your option. If you shut down, then to pick up where you left off, you boot your system the usual way (called IPL back in those days), and then run the restart utility to restore the saved state.

This would work under encryption, since you would be restarting a saved state from a running system, so the disk would already be decrypted. It is also useful for long running programs, such as simulations, finding Mersene primes for cryptographic keys, etc., as the long running program could checkpoint every so often, and if there was a crash, power failure, etc. the work could resume where it left off, instaed of having to start over at the beginning.

----- edit -----

If the command to save state, which is what hibernate does, took a filename, then the state could be saved to that file instead of a well known filename. This would permit the taking of machine snapshots ala after the manner of a virtual machine such as vmware.

Come to think of it, I could just boot Linux and then run vmware to run another copy of Linux. I could do all my actual work in the linux in the vm. Then when it was time to hibernate, I could suspend the vm, then halt the real machine. When I reboot, I would just start vmware and resume the suspended vm running linux. Its a little klunky, but it would do the trick! 8)

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the hardened source gnomes have been working their magick in hollow trees, and have released the fruits of that work. I have taken that fruit and written .configs for it in both x86 and x86_64 flavors.

:lol:

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while I'm at it, I'd like to thank Garamszegi Tamás for pointing out that I had placed one of the .configs into an incorrect directory. If anyone else sees something along these lines, don't hesitate to draw my attention to it, or any other page issues.

For cases of this nature, please put "bug report" in the heading of the message. That way, I know it's something that needs immediate attention.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.33-zen3 and 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Also note that make xconfig fails with 2.6.34-gentoo-r1. Make gconfig and make menuconfig work, but no make xconfig. This is the bug report for those who wish to follow it.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like another big old run on tuxonice sources...and at long last, 2.6.34-zen1 is out. JOY!

Because of this source bounty, I've uploaded the .configs for 2.6.31-tuxonice-r12, 2.6.32-tuxonice-r10, 2.6.32-tuxonice-r11, 2.6.33-tuxonice-r3, 2.6.34-tuxonice, and 2.6.34-zen1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

It's a bit out of place, but I would like to say goodbye to Mike Hunt in this thread. He was very helpful, even to me. I was considering asking him to come aboard the project. Rest in peace, friend.

Cheers,
Pappy
jody
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pappy: thanks for the kernel-seed project!
For a long time ihave used genkernel (and the very bloated systems)
because i could not figure out what to set in menuconfig.
I used it now on a new intel machine (Core i7) and worked flawlessly.

@cach0rr0: Thanks to you to, because your signature had the links to the seeds!

Jody
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome.

When I began the project, I had no idea that it would become as popular as it is. I guess there was a serious need for making kernel configuration less mystical. If so, who better than I do demystify?

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time for the Fourth, a new hardened-sources version. Of course, that means it's time for some new .configs. I've just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.30-tuxonice-r12 and 2.6.32-hardened-r10 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors.

Cheers!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another source dump at kernel.org has resulted in lots of new .configs. I've uploaded said .configs for 2.6.27.48, 2.6.31.14, 2.6.32.16, 2.6.33.6, and 2.6.34.1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!
Surely, there's a little something in there for everyone.

Cheers,
Pappy
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the kernel seed for 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 is really unstable in combination with my KMS driven intel GMA 4500 grafics cards. The graphics drivers are known to be unstable, but with this kernel, it is horrible. The correct resolution is not detected automatically, and after booting, it is so slow I cant even move the mouse smoothly. After 5 minutes, it freezes for sure. So my question is, if there is any known option that has to be (de)activated to let the system run fast and stable for at least 1 day or so?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, 2.6.34 wasn't more unstable than 2.6.33 for GMA4500, but also not more stable.

The resolution bug indeed is a regression that is still not fixed in recent 2.6.35 commits.
On my X200s:
- Internal LVDS: Resolution gets detected correctly
- External VGA & Displayport: EDID info seems to be read out, at least the higher resolution modes are available - but initially any external screen is run with the native resolution of my LVDS screen.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, KMS is crap. It has been crap since the outset, and it remains crap, even now, as they try desperately to make KMS work as it was *proposed* to work.

I know that will wind up limiting your options as far as X drivers, and so on, but I'm more interested in a computer that works than a computer with the latest, greatest bit of crap...ie. KMS.

I've tried KMS on this machine at least three different times. Each time, KMS made this system incredibly unstable, especially in X. So, I have no other thought left except that KMS is unstable, and has been since the outset. I don't know how some people can claim that it works when I see so many others who continue to have issue after issue with KMS.

Cheers,
Pappy
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so true :?

Unfortunately, it is not only the KMS option in the kernel config and the xf86-video-intel driver which you can't update above version 2.9.X. If you try to run this configuration with xorg-server-1.8, you will find out that this is instable as well. And I would like to contribute to solving this bug rather that wait for years until someone else does. That's why I want to use the recent kernel with KMS. I can honestly understand that you, pappy, don't want to give a support for this buggy feature. I am only asking if you (or someone else) know how to change the config that it at least runs almost stable with KMS.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me of that. I am stuck at xorg-server-1.7.7.

Of course, I don't feel too bad about that because the only machine I have that runs xorg-server-1.8.x is core-too. That's only because nvidia-drivers-19x work with that version of xorg-server. No other machine I own can go there yet.

Cheers,
Pappy
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
... I am stuck at xorg-server-1.7.7. ...

Me weeps uncontrollably.

:D :D :D

Actually, I've got xorg-server-1.8.0 running on all my boxes at the moment.

I'm limited, however, to vanilla-sources-2.6.33.X, xorg-server-1.8.0 and xf86-video-ati-6.13.0 at the moment on all my radeon based boxes.

With kernels 2.6.33.6 and 2.6.34.1 now available, I'll try the upgrade to xorg-server-1.8.1.902, kernel-2.6.34.1 and xf86-video-ati-6.13.1 this weekend and see how it goes.

Was there anything in the kernel release notes you might want to point out as pertinent before I start?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't generally read them...preferring to see what happens as I play. The only thing I've noticed that's a bit off is the fact that some sources (2.6.34-gentoo-r1) are using a modification of make xconfig that moves from using qt3 to using qt4.

As for functionality, I've been using the .34 family since it came out, and haven't really noted a lot of issues with my machines. There are ALSA issues, but those have been around since .32, and they only cause issues with my pro-level sound card...which is fine since I only use Windoze on that machine for audio work.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my tardiness, but I've been in rehearsals in my roomie's church's production of Oklahoma!. I'm running a follow spot. It's actually pretty frickin' cool. That, and the fact that I'm finally giving up after three days of trying to figure out what killed boinc on all my machines has kept me busy.

That said, there were a lot of sources dumped to me today, and that means it was time to set up some new .configs. I've just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r12, 2.6.32-tuxonice-r12, 2.6.34-hardened, 2.6.34-gentoo-r2, 2.6.34-tuxonice-r1, and 2.6.34-zen1-r1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Never underestimate the fun that can be had listening to the chatter on the production headsets. When the stage manager has an evil sense of humor, it is hard not to bust out laughing. I have to be careful. My voice carries like you wouldn't believe in a decent acoustic structure...and even in the great outdoors.

Ok, enough rambling. I'm turning in early. BOINC be damned...at least for tonight.

Cheers,
Pappy
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Thanks for reminding me of that. I am stuck at xorg-server-1.7.7.

Of course, I don't feel too bad about that because the only machine I have that runs xorg-server-1.8.x is core-too. That's only because nvidia-drivers-19x work with that version of xorg-server. No other machine I own can go there yet.

Cheers,
Pappy

You may want to experiment now with the combination of 2.6.34.1 and xorg-server-1.8.1.902. This seems to have fixed my problems with the xorg-server segfaults combined with xf86-video-ati-6.13.1. The combinations of the new versions seem a lot more stable. I'll be doing some additional testing by bringing up vmware clients and virtualbox clients.

The last time I tried this combination, the versions were vanilla-sources-2.6.34, xorg-server-1.8.1.901 and xf86-video-ati-6.13.0. At these versions, vanilla-sources-2.6.33.5 worked better, but I still had to drop down to xorg-server-1.8.0.

I don't currently use the Intel graphics chipsets so I don't yet know if there are any improvements in the related kernel drivers there. Hope so though. I have a couple of basic PCs to set up that use those GPUs and I'd rather not scrounge for graphics cards.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:
You may want to experiment now with the combination of 2.6.34.1 and xorg-server-1.8.1.902. This seems to have fixed my problems with the xorg-server segfaults combined with xf86-video-ati-6.13.1. The combinations of the new versions seem a lot more stable. I'll be doing some additional testing by bringing up vmware clients and virtualbox clients.

Additional testing done.

Nope. xorg-server-1.8.1-902 is still not yet ready for prime time. I pushed xorg-server back down to 1.8.0. I'm going to leave vanilla-sources at 2.6.34.1 and xf86-video-ati at 6.13.1.

So far, that seems stable enough to use.

Oh well.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: