Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SLIP/PPP over null modem cable to Win 3.1 box--can it work?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evaner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: SLIP/PPP over null modem cable to Win 3.1 box--can it work? Reply with quote

Okay, here's an oddball question for everyone. I've been trying to figure out how to do this (I _KNOW_ it can be done), but to no avail. Maybe some of you have successfully done this, or know someone who did, or can telepathically connect to somewone who has!

Anyway, this is what I want to do:

I have an older laptop that for some reason has NO NETWORK CARD :evil: and no PC Card slot :twisted: , so I'm stuck with either a modem or a serial connection.

I have a null modem cable connecting my Gentoo Linux box to this Win 3.1 box (not WfW 3.11, but Windows 3.1). My current network connection goes like this:

(Internet) :arrow: (Router [192.168.0.1]) :arrow: Gentoo Box [192.168.0.2] (and other boxen)

What I want to do is connect my Laptop to my internal network VIA my Gentoo Box USING a null modem serial cable.

My questions are:

1) What program(s) do I need on the Linux box?
2) What program(s) do I need on the Win 3.1 box and where can I find them?
3) Would the Win 3.1 box need to be on a different subnet (then have the Gentoo Linux box as the gateway and all that messed up stuff that I'll never understand) -OR- can it be on the same subnet as 192.168.0.5 or whatever?

Thanks in advance for ANY input you can give on this, and if you need clarification, just post it to the forum and I'll be sure to help clarify it!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: