tiff trouble with emacs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: tiff trouble with emacs Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm running emerge -e world to get a clean start but several packages are failing looking for an old tiff version.

cedet and matlab being the first to show.
Code:

>>> Compiling source in /back/tmp/portage/app-emacs/matlab-3.3.1_pre20100121/work/matlab-3.3.1_pre20100121 ...
 * Compiling GNU Emacs Elisp files ...
/usr/bin/emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

the cedet error was also from /usr/bin/emacs

If I google, libtiff.so.3 is years old, like circa 2006. Why the hell is emacs trying to dig that up.

Currently tiff-4 installs libtiff.so.5 :?

What is going on?

TIA, Gentree. 8)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/bin/emacs has a load time dependency on that version of libtiff. When was the last time you rebuilt emacs? What does revdep-rebuild think needs to be done?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to wait a couple of days to finish my 923 package emerge -e world to run revdep. I still have 600 to go...

Emacs? Well it was more recently than 2006 !!

Code:
ls -ail /usr/bin/emacs
84686 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jun 10 01:57 /usr/bin/emacs -> emacs-23
ls -ail /usr/bin/emacs-23
84687 -rwxr-xr-t 1 root root 6505728 May 13 21:22 /usr/bin/emacs-23

ldd /usr/bin/emacs-23|grep tiff
        libtiff.so.3 => /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 (0xb76ca000)

Why on Earth is it linked to so.3 ??

:?

thx
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libtiff3 may have been available back then, but it is still relatively current. On a system which has =media-libs/tiff-3.9.2-r1 installed, which was current as of a few weeks ago, I still have a /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.

According to the ViewCVS scripts, tiff-4* is still ~arch on x86 and amd64, so you must have pulled it in either via package.keywords or by running an unstable system. Although it is a bit strange that tiff-4* installs a .so.5 instead of a .so.4, there is nothing inherently wrong with it. This looks like a typical soname change problem solved by the typical use of revdep-rebuild. The only weird part is you decided to run an emerge -e world either while you had a broken dependency or while you were sufficiently out of date that sonames are changing as part of the emerge. tiff-4* appeared the day after you rebuild emacs, so this may be your first big build since it was available to you.

You need to emerge emacs as soon as possible after upgrading to tiff-4*, similar to how you must rebuild out of tree kernel modules when you upgrade your kernel. Considering emacs is often an operating system unto itself, this seems like an apt comparison. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: