share a usb disk traveling on network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javeree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: share a usb disk traveling on network Reply with quote

i have a usb disk that is attached to different pcs every now and then. However, I would like to easily share (nfs) this drive. Yhis would mean having to reconfigure /etc/fstab and /etc/exports on all pcs whenever the disk is attached to another pc.
What I would like is to have some way to do this:
When the pc starts and the disk is attached, or whenever the disk is added, /etc/eports and fstab should get matching entries, the disk should be mounted and exported. This should be possible with udev rules.
The main problems is on the other pcs that would need and nfs entry in fstab This entry should somehow refer to ,whereever the share is,. Is there a way to indicate mounting an nfs drive without explicitly naming the hot?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling this might be easier if you're able to configure a server to act as a common mount point for the client machines, and have a script that triggers the server to remote mount the drive and begin sharing it. At least then clients don't need to be notified of changes.

In addition to nfs you could consider sshfs via fuse for the drive <-> server connection - it may be easier to work with security wise.

Just some ideas... good luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: