postfix won't deliver mail?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: postfix won't deliver mail? Reply with quote

I installed postfix... edited the /etc/postfix/main.cf... restarted the service... I want to be able to receive mail from anywhere on the net. I will worry about spammers right after I get this thing working. :)

:?: I can send mail just fine, but I can't recieve mail. The mail is received by postfix... I can see it using mailq. It just won't deliver it to my mailbox. :?:

First thing I noticed is telnetting to my port 25 is very slow. I read something about making sure the hostname is right and all, I checked everything and it looks right to me... dunno. I just thought I'd mention it in case that symptom rings a bell.

When I try to flush the mail queue, I run mailq to check it out, and I see: (unknown mail transport error) under some of the emails.

syslog.conf says:
Code:
mail.*                          /var/log/mail.log
mail.info                       -/var/log/mail.info
mail.warn                       -/var/log/mail.warn
mail.err                        /var/log/mail.err

But I see no mail logs in /var/log. I assume that finding the log, or fixing it so that it does log the error is the first step to figuring out my problem. :?:

As a side note, I did search the forums, found some notes on replacing the master.cf, tried it... it didn't work for me.

Let me know what config items I should post, and I'll do so.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure postfix knows your domain is local to it, see the mydestination parameter in postfix:

# The mydestination parameter specifies the list of domains that this
# machine considers itself the final destination for. That does not
# include domains that are hosted on this machine. Those domains are
# specified elsewhere (see sample-virtual.cf, and sample-transport.cf).
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: mydestination Reply with quote

right now it is:

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain

and I have myhostname set specifically to www.myname.com and mydomain set to myname.com
Kilian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean litterally or figuratively? If litterly, your problem is that myname.com exists and receives it's own mail... heh. Do you have your own registered domain name? Also, if you have something like dyndns or similar and are using a subdomain on that (mverrilli.iname.net, mverrilli.dyndns.com, etc) keep in mind that you may only receieve mail for your subdomain, and make sure postfix knows this in your local destinations setting.

If that's confusing, just smack me. :P
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hiding the real domain name since it isn't mine. :P The machine is on the internal network, port 25 is forwarded from the router to this machine. The ip of the router is the domain name... figuratively, myname.com :p
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: solved Reply with quote

Kilian helped offline. Thanks! :P

1. I noticed my syslogger wasn't running... that would cause my mail log not to show. How I managed that, I have no idea. :P (I do remember uninstalling a logger and installing a different one. I might have messed up that way somehow).

2. After the logger was active, I reviewed mail.err... and sure enough... Permission denied on /etc/mail/aliases.db. chowned those files to the postfix group, and all is well.

Thanks for the replies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: