Okay, why did you ban the account?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cnectd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Okay, why did you ban the account? Reply with quote

"Multiple accounts - Each person should have only one account. If you get banned for some reason and simply create another account, it might get banned the minute the moderators become aware of it. "

Whatever.. I'm aware of that but as far as I'm concerned my account 'inflow' got banned and nobody told me why.
I came in here because I wanted to learn Linux/Unix. Is there other threads out there explaining how? likely a million.. you know what makes this
one different though? Because I wanted peoples PERSONAL opinions on books I could follow. Each individual is different, each has a different point of view
or paradigm of the world. I just wanted peoples opinions, I have that right don't I?
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not like it's a permaban, get over it. many of us here have been banned once or twice.
inb4 you get banned again
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave a link to a "get rich from home" site. Maybe you didn't intend anything bad, but it was perceived as bad. You should have done more to assure people that it wasn't just spam. One potential give away is that it was also your first post, which makes it seem even more like spam.
Cnectd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You gave a link to a "get rich from home" site. Maybe you didn't intend anything bad, but it was perceived as bad. You should have done more to assure people that it wasn't just spam. One potential give away is that it was also your first post, which makes it seem even more like spam."

Yea well now that you mention it, I can see how that would give off that impression, thanks.
Well I'm assuring everybody now that I'm not a Xrumer bot and am not here affiliated with marketing.
I just genuinely want to start getting into learning about linux and the whole shell scripting.

"it's not like it's a permaban, get over it. many of us here have been banned once or twice.
inb4 you get banned again"

Get over what? This thread wasn't about me being angry, it was about me understanding why I was banned to begin with.
I post a thread asking for guidance after being maliciously attacked and wanting to learn how to secure my stuff
only to be returned with a banned status. Next time if it happens to you I hope some jerk comes up and says
"inb4 you get banned again" when trying to work things out.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: you came into the OTW forum to shout about your ban. since it very clearly says you should contact a moderator about bans instead of a public place (especially OTW) this is clearly a mechanism to get attention (i.e. complaining). so I was just trying to convey that this sort of thing happens all the time, and that you should calm down.

so kidnly take your comments to a moderator, as they have the power to do something and to answer questions.

if you want conversation, then post the thread in which you got banned and we can walk through it play by play. it'll be fun.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated above your first post looked like spam, we get a lot of spam here and it's often disguised in an attempt to prevent us from recognising it as spam. Someone obviously thought that this was the case with your post which is why your account was banned. Normally we don't bother informing spammers why they were banned unless they ask us specifically.

Now that we know that you are not a spammer we can either unban your original account (and ban this one due to the one account per person policy) or you can keep this account, it's up to you.

Moved from Off the Wall to Gentoo Forums Feedback.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: