View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Watch out for the libpng 1.4 update Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that a new major version of libpng appeared in portage today, and if you update mindlessly, you will have massive breakage since libpng is used by practically all graphical packages.

So, if you choose to update to it, you will need to either:

- Rebuild a whole lot of major packages (51 in my case) with revdep-rebuild. (Portage 2.2 won't save you due to the block)

- Or, you would need to have both versions installed. Here's what I did:

Code:

update to version 1.4.2; 1.2.43 gets removed due to a block
# emerge -u libpng

install the 1.2 version (1.2.43-r1) in a slot
# emerge libpng:1.2

a lot of packages are linked against libpng12.so.0, but a symlink is not installed with 1.2.43-r1
# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libpng12.so.0.43.0 libpng12.so.0

Hope it helps! :)
Jorgo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Warning: Will break system! Reply with quote

Most of the necessary packages can't be rebuild. Some packages like wxGTK etc. don't find necessary packages. pkgconfig gives a lot of errors that it can not find some libs.

Big warning! You can not even start most of the gnome programs like gnome-terminal etc. All files claim libpng12.so.0
Using AMD64 unstable revdep-rebuilt wants to rebuild 177 files but fails instantly.
I masked libpng-1.4.2 locally and downgrade to libpng12 ...
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Watch out for the libpng 1.4 update Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that a new major version of libpng appeared in portage today, and if you let portage update mindlessly, you will have massive breakage since libpng is used by practically all graphical packages.

So, if you choose to update to it, you will need to either:

- Rebuild a whole lot of major packages (51 in my case) with revdep-rebuild. (Portage 2.2 won't save you due to the block)

- Or, you would need to have both versions installed. Here's what I did:

Code:

update to version 1.4.2; 1.2.43 gets removed due to a block
# emerge -u libpng

install the 1.2 version (1.2.43-r1) in a slot
# emerge libpng:1.2

a lot of packages are linked against libpng12.so.0, but a symlink is not installed with 1.2.43-r1
# cd /usr/lib

Hope it helps! :)

fixed

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list (revdep-bebuild) is 56 packages, and it's going fine (on 25 of 56 now).

~amd64, portage <2.2. Only wm installed is e17 but I do use many gtk apps. ATM, terminal is refusing to launch a new instance, so I'll need to wait a bit before I know if anything is actually broken or just needed to be built against the new pnglib.

Last edited by Muso on Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now you can just put
Code:
=media-libs/libpng-1.4.2

into /etc/portage/package.mask since no package requires it so far.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unK wrote:
For now you can just put
Code:
=media-libs/libpng-1.4.2

into /etc/portage/package.mask since no package requires it so far.

Putting exact versions into the world set is a silly idea. When something does come along in 6 months that requires 1.4.3 or higher, you'll get a fun block to deal with. The most specific level you should use in the world set is slots.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Watch out for the libpng 1.4 update Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
AM088 wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that a new major version of libpng appeared in portage today, and if you let portage update mindlessly, you will have massive breakage since libpng is used by practically all graphical packages.

fixed

I, for one, am glad that portage does not have a mind of its own :wink:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup big b0rkage

revdep-rebuild would list a load of applications needing a rebuild BUT the rebuild would fail early on (pygtk in this instance, it kept trying to -lpng12 EVEN tho 14 was installed
lafilefixer didn't fix it

I had to manually emerge libglade to get alot of things to rebuild (against libpng14)

Next set of blockages associated with imagemagick (need to find out which one of its deps is being a PAIN!).
Mangler doesn't work either due to it still gets linked against libpng12 during emerge oO which makes no sense

Key package deps and their *.la files have libpng12 coded in them and its a job to find out which ones are causing hte problem...

this is a nasty lib bump :(
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Watch out for the libpng 1.4 update Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
erm67 wrote:
AM088 wrote:

fixed

I, for one, am glad that portage does not have a mind of its own :wink:

You mean it could do its job even poorly? Anyway it doesn't have a mind of its own like every program it just reflects the minds of its programmers, if technology to prevent this has been already implemented, albeit with some touchable problems, it might time time to give it to the masses :-)

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted here. revdep-rebuild finished and a running it again showed consistency.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one have only one problem left with net-misc/nxclient-3.4.0.7 which absolutely insists on libpng-1.2.
The other blockers, x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.4.0-r1 and dev-python/pygtk-2.16.0-r1 just played nicely after I did a lafilefixer --justfixit.
Any ideas on nxclient?
niick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it was me or portage that was mindless is kind of irrelevant - things are kind of fucked.

I had ~50 packages that needed rebuilding after revdep-rebuild and 25 of those still won't. These are;

pygtk, libgnomeprintui, gnome-media, libgnomecanvas-python, libgnomeui, libbonobo-python,
glade, dia, libgnome-python, teg, eel, celestia, anjuta, goffice-0.4.3, goffice-0.6.6, notification-daemon,
grip, evolution-data-server, evolution, gnome-mount, nautilus-actions, abiword, gnome-panel, gdm and
gnome-applets-python.

This is gentoo and I'm running unstable but this is the biggest breakage I've had in ages, something in eselect news
might have been nice... but it's a Sunday so what else should I do but worship at the altar portage, 25 "hail portages"
seems a bit of steep price for absolution though.

Quote:
# cd /usr/lib

I'm going to try this now, hopefully it will clear some of these remaining issues.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niick wrote:
Whether it was me or portage that was mindless is kind of irrelevant - things are kind of fucked.

I had ~50 packages that needed rebuilding after revdep-rebuild and 25 of those still won't. These are;

pygtk, libgnomeprintui, gnome-media, libgnomecanvas-python, libgnomeui, libbonobo-python,
glade, dia, libgnome-python, teg, eel, celestia, anjuta, goffice-0.4.3, goffice-0.6.6, notification-daemon,
grip, evolution-data-server, evolution, gnome-mount, nautilus-actions, abiword, gnome-panel, gdm and
gnome-applets-python.

This is gentoo and I'm running unstable but this is the biggest breakage I've had in ages, something in eselect news
might have been nice... but it's a Sunday so what else should I do but worship at the altar portage, 25 "hail portages"
seems a bit of steep price for absolution though.

Quote:
# cd /usr/lib

I'm going to try this now, hopefully it will clear some of these remaining issues.

emerge libglade
then revdep-rebuild

there is a bug or something I can't figure it out but pygtk got blocked for me and I had to manually emerge that to fix it
you might need to emerge libtools manually as well since you will prob run into issues with that later
niick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Naib, I did what you suggested, ran
Code:
lafilefixer --justfixit

and installed libpng-1.2 slotted as first poster suggested and I'm all sorted now. Well, all the apps I've tried are working again.
gregool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it didn't go as i expected :cry:

i ran emerge libpng:1.2 as suggested, the symlinks are ok but revdep-rebuild never returned any broken package.

so my problem is that a bunch of packages are still asking for libpng12 ! i tried to emerge libglade as Naib suggested but it quiclky failed asking for libpng12 as well.

lafilefixer didn't do the trick

any ideas?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregool wrote:

i ran emerge libpng:1.2 as suggested, the symlinks are ok but revdep-rebuild never returned any broken package.

so my problem is that a bunch of packages are still asking for libpng12 ! i tried to emerge libglade as Naib suggested but it quiclky failed asking for libpng12 as well.

lafilefixer didn't do the trick

any ideas?

either slot libpng12 or fix rebuild. you cant do both

if you go for rebuild

#1 make sure you dont have libpng12 install
#2 revdep-rebuild
it will eventually fail
#3 emerge libglade libtools
revdep-rebuild
gregool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx naib

well let's try to rebuild :?
gregool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't work :(

after i removed libpng12 revdep-rebuild found 99 broken packages, and the rebuild crashed on the very 1st package which was cairo so i tried so to rebuild libglade with no luck :(

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng12
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [test-libglade] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4/work/libglade-2.6.4'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4/work/libglade-2.6.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4 failed:
 *   compile failure
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   54:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 2953:  Called gnome2_src_compile
 *   environment, line 2294:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "compile failure"
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4/work/libglade-2.6.4'

>>> Failed to emerge gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4/temp/build.log'

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc I had to emerge cairo by itself.

what is the error when you try to emerge cairo by itself?
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to make a similar post. 71 packages had to be rebuilt on my system, which made my PC basically unusable for 5 hours. revdep-rebuild fixed everything without problems, though.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread, I'm gonna try tomorrow morning :P
sumerman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: I take that back Reply with quote

gregool wrote:

if you go for rebuild

#2 revdep-rebuild
it will eventually fail
revdep-rebuild

This procedure seemed to work for me after struggling much of the day with this problem. Although I successfully emerged packages that I couldn't before I used this procedure (pygtk, libgnomeprintui, and libxfcegui4), it failed on xfce-base/xfce4-panel. I'll keep trying and let you know if I get further along.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll wait a week or two before upgrading. I remember all the problems this caused in the past on Arch. Particularly Cairo but also for a lot of custom built apps.
sumerman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Successful update to libpng:1.4 without slotted libpng:1.2 Reply with quote

sumerman wrote:
gregool wrote:

if you go for rebuild

#2 revdep-rebuild
it will eventually fail
revdep-rebuild

This procedure seemed to work for me after struggling much of the day with this problem. Although I successfully emerged packages that I couldn't before I used this procedure (pygtk, libgnomeprintui, and libxfcegui4), it failed on xfce-base/xfce4-panel. I'll keep trying and let you know if I get further along.

It seems if you don't want to go the slot route, then you have to rebuild everything that was built with libpng:1.2. This will vary depending on what you have installed. My approach was to use the above procedure until a package wouldn't build under revdep-rebuild. Then use
Code:
equery depgraph PACKAGE
and see what the dependencies are, and, in my case, guess which ones depend on libpng. Then rebuild those packages, and do the same procedure if some of those packages don't build successfully.

For example, I executed
Code:
equery depgraph xfce4-panel
and saw dependencies on cairo (which I had already rebuilt after install libpng:1.4), libxfce4util, libxfcegui4, and exo. I then emerged these (using --with-bdeps=y) and they emerged except for exo. Then I did the same procedure for exo and guessed at libnotify and dev-perl/URI (rightly or wrongly), then after emerging them, I successfully emerged exo, and then I successfully emerged xfce4-panel. And on and on.

After doing this recursion about three or four times, I successfully emerged all packages found by revdep-rebuild.

Last edited by sumerman on Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i emerged cairo by it self and it worked, but it seems every package has a different work around.

the 2nd on the list is libgnomecanvas-python-2.28.0, and it fails due to gtk+

Code:
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.6.0... no
 *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
 *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
 *** that the run-time linker is not finding GTK+ or finding the wrong
 *** version of GTK+. If it is not finding GTK+, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> configure: error: maybe you want the gtk-gnome-1-2 branch?
>
> !!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
> !!! /var/tmp/portage/dev-python/libgnomecanvas-python-2.28.0/work/gnome-python-2.28.0/config.log
>  * ERROR: dev-python/libgnomecanvas-python-2.28.0 failed:
>  *   econf failed
>  *
>  * Call stack:
>  *     ebuild.sh, line   54:  Called src_compile
>  *   environment, line 5142:  Called gnome2_src_compile
>  *   environment, line 3103:  Called gnome2_src_configure
>  *   environment, line 3117:  Called econf '--disable-allbindings' '--enable-gnomecanvas'
>  *     ebuild.sh, line  544:  Called die

but when i tried to emerge gtk+ by itself it fails asking for libpng12 :?

so i installed libpng12 again in a slot, so that i can use my desktop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: