NFS - startup problem.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coRpTitan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: NFS - startup problem. Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to set-up server for diskless clients, I'm following this tutorial: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml .
Everything goes fine, but I'm stuck at step, where I'm supposed to install and run NFS service.

I did exactly according to HowTo, unfortunately I'm not able to run that service. This is what I got, when trying to start it:

Code:
# /etc/init.d/nfs start
Authenticating root.
Password:
 * Exporting NFS directories ...                                                                                                                                           [ ok ]
 * Starting NFS mountd ...                                                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * Starting NFS daemon ...
rpc.nfsd: Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)
rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd                                                                                                                               [ !! ]
 * Starting NFS smnotify ...                                                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * ERROR: nfs failed to start
#

When I checked init.d script I found out it's trying to run it by using following: /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8 .
When I tried to run it directly from bash via strace, to see where it's getting access denied, then I found out following:

Code:

open("/proc/fs/nfsd/versions", O_WRONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
write(3, "+2 +3 +4 \n", 10)             = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy)
write(2, "rpc.nfsd: ", 10rpc.nfsd: )              = 10
write(2, "Setting version failed: errno 16"..., 58Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)) = 58
write(2, "\n", 1
)                       = 1
close(3)                                = 0

open("/proc/fs/nfsd/portlist", O_WRONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
write(3, "4\n", 2)                      = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
write(2, "rpc.nfsd: ", 10rpc.nfsd: )              = 10
write(2, "writing fd to kernel failed: err"..., 57writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)) = 57
write(2, "\n", 1
)                       = 1
close(3)                                = 0

So now it's clear that for some reason it can't write data into /proc/fs/nfsd/versions & /proc/fs/nfsd/portlist .
I'm SeLinux user, but my SeLinux is in "SELINUX=permissive" so it should not be blocked by SeLinux.

My TIP is that I forgot to enable some option in kernel, but I can't figure out which one :(

Thank you for any hints.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to want to 'write' it's version? Did you check you enabled the correct nfs options? (v3 vs v4?)
coRpTitan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexilion wrote:
It seems to want to 'write' it's version? Did you check you enabled the correct nfs options? (v3 vs v4?)

Sorry for long delay,

In kernel I don't have compiled support of NFSv4, and nfs-utils I have in last version, installed from portage with following:
USE="-nfsv4" emerge -av net-fs/nfs-utils
So it's also without NFSv4 support, only version 3 is enabled.

But I would say It should be able to write into that files, but can't for some reason, even when it's mounted with rw option:

Code:
# mount | grep nfsd
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
#

cerise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coRpTitan wrote:

But I would say It should be able to write into that files, but can't for some reason, even when it's mounted with rw option:

The reason it fails is from the kernel, but I haven't been able to figure out why it happens just yet. It has nothing to do (apparently) with any kernel options or SELinux.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: