Resetting the Portage DB (I think)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Resetting the Portage DB (I think)? Reply with quote

My server's harddrive filled up during an emerge last night, and I didn't realize until it was too late (the emerge had died due to lack of space).

I cleaned up the harddrive, moved some partitions around, and have plenty of room, but now when I try to do anything with portage, I get this...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2133, in ?
mydepgraph.display(mydepgraph.altlist())
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1103, in display
elif (not "--emptytree" in myopts) and portage.db[x[1]]["vartree"].exists_specific_cat(x[2]):
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 3469, in exists_specific_cat
self.invalidentry(self.root+"var/db/pkg/"+a[0]+"/"+x)
AttributeError: vartree instance has no attribute 'invalidentry'

Is there some way to fix this, while keeping my system intact?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug 31901 on https://bugs.gentoo.org
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks a bunch Genone. I didn't think to look at bugzilla, gotta start doing that more I guess...

Is there any discussion on making a special function for portage, in the case that it does fill up the harddrive in the middle of a merge? It might be something worth considering, or at least something to determine how much space will be used, so it can alert you to a lack of space. Although, reverse dependencies is a bit higher up on most people's wishlists, I would think :P.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that would be possible is to check at the beginning of emerge if there is a reasonable amount of free space available, we can't check that (in an acceptable way) while the emerge is running as the control lies in the ebuild/Makefile/... at that stage, not in portage itself.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be pushy, but would it be possible to maybe check for a reasonable amount of space at the beginning of each emerge, and warn the user that it may not work due to the harddrive being full, and then somehow determine if the emerge failed, put a line in that points to that bug, so it's easily fixable?

One of the problems I noticed, on a server that's been running Gentoo for a while, I tend to forget about how much space is left, which, yes, is bad practice, but it happens. Doing something to alert the user to a lack of space could be a nice little addition to portage, I think.

Then again, I could just be talking out of my ass, because everyone else actually checks how much space they have on their drives, but eh, maybe if I get motivated enough I'll try to learn python to do that myself :P.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: