Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
I was able to make it work, though you'll need some files for generic postscript printer driver from a windows install in addition to the ones mentioned in the above link. And for some reason I couldn't get the cupsaddsmb command to work with the smb.conf supplied in the guide. I used a generic one I found elsewhere and started adding in a couple tweaks to be more like what's in the guide. YMMV.

that's my problem too, when calling cupsaddsmb, it gets caught up in an endless loop
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
I was able to make it work, though you'll need some files for generic postscript printer driver from a windows install in addition to the ones mentioned in the above link. And for some reason I couldn't get the cupsaddsmb command to work with the smb.conf supplied in the guide. I used a generic one I found elsewhere and started adding in a couple tweaks to be more like what's in the guide. YMMV.

that's my problem too, when calling cupsaddsmb, it gets caught up in an endless loop
I think you have to have cups running (/etc/init.d/cupsd start) for it to work. And if you do have it running, I'm thinking you need to start samba via the same route. I had the same thing happen.

But getting rid of the loop didn't fix things for me, since that only let me hit a bunch of other errors. :(
Ahnilated
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread still active? I have some questions/issues I would like some assistance with if it is.

TIA
zoula
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: My Experiences with your howto Reply with quote

First, thanks a lot for your howto !

Here are my experiences:

Samba:
- installing and configuring samba without any error messages :-)

Cups:

- cups mentioned that there is a "listen" or "Port" declaration necessary to start the daemon:

I did it the following way:

Code:
Listen localhost:631
Listen 192.168.178.66:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

the line with the ip-adress of the server is only necessary, if you want to configure cups with the webinterface from another machine in your LAN.

- very important to say for me here is that you have to use the samba-root-password when you use the cupsaddsmb script !!!
zelycorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to automatically provide the printer driver for windows clients. It doesn't work actually, im in work for this since 3 days.

I have a red hat server (I know this forum is for gentoo, but the how to here concerns my issue) 5 64bits which is a domain member server. samba and domain junction is OK.

Now i have to share printers.

An USB HP P3005 is plugged. The hplip driver is ok.

I have a HP3005 printer declared on cups web interface.

I can print from the server shell. I can print from windows clients by adding a new printer directly from the samba share and select the correct driver or via a new network printer with a http://ip:631/printers/hp3005

My goal is to automate the driver step. Unfortunately for me, no one how to help me for the moment.

I had follow some tutos like the one in the first post : i copied the ps files form a windows client in a /usr/share/cups/drivers/W32X86 path. I also copied the ps files from cups.

The cupsaddsmb command never work en there was a infinite loops. It's rely on the server NT domain member role. As an ADS security is in place, a user security statement doesn't work at all.

Is someone have a tips to help me ?

[printers]
printable = yes
writable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = yes
public = yes
browseable = no
[HP3005]
printable= yes
printer name = HP3005
public = yes
writable = yes
path = /var/spool/samba
print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s
[HPRAW]
printable= yes
printer name = HPRAW
public = yes
writable = yes
path = /var/spool/samba
print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s
[print$]
browseable = yes
path = /usr/share/cups/drivers
create mask = 700
directory mask = 700
valid users = @"domain+Domain Users"
jozefk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello :)
I setup samba and I am able to connect to windows machine. I setup the CUPS as well. Still can't print.
The printer which is shared from Windows machine is connected to that PC by USB cable. It is not a network printer.
I don't know if problem is the driver I am trying to use or something else. But it seems I am very close to the solution :D
If anybody else is using a shared printer from USB on Windows machine, it would be nice to hear some idea or suggestion.
Thanks.

Best,
Jozsef
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: