Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!

Finally, a WM that does what X doesn't!

I would sooooo use this if it was easier to configure.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to use it, but it is just so damned hard to configure.
is there a way to set it so it will use the default X way of moving resizing windows with the alt key + mouse click?
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Trying to configure fvwm has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. It's harder than c++. The documentation is there but it's like its just describing more of what it can do instead of how to do it.

And the config files don't seem to work either. Maybe im just doing it wrong.
For example, I tried the fvwm95 setup and read through the generated fvwm2rc file. It had a line "read Bindings" so I checked out the Bindings file but none of them worked. One of the examples in the bindings file was something like hold shift plus an arrow key to move windows around or hold alt to resize them.
I also tried the fvwm-themes-start and its a bit better, but still ugly. I especially like the CDE look(well not like it, but I'm impressed with how configurable it is). Now, what if I want a new theme? I'll have to write it myself and back to the config files..

Am I right or what? Please tell me there is an easier way.
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried configuring it also... I betcha the F means "fucked-up".
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

st. anger wrote:
is there a way to set it so it will use the default X way of moving resizing windows with the alt key + mouse click?

mabey your looking for:

Mouse 1 WTFS M FuncFvwmRaiseLowerX move
Mouse 2 WTFS M FuncFvwmRaiseLowerX resize

?

if you want to write a new theme put it here: ~/.fvwm/themes/<theme name>
You dont have to back up any thing, If you just want to create your own binding or other personal config stuff, put it in a file here: ~/.fvwm/themes/personal/startup and then select it to be used through the themes menu. I might be weird but i think fvwm is easy to configure :twisted:
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, where in the docs does it explain how to do that?
endgamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant... resist... Must post my screenshot and config (which is totally unoriginal, may those who initially made it live forever):

http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~fasiha/FVWMcollage.png (let's try this link)

http://tangledweb.ath.cx:8000/files/fvwm2rc.ahmed (updated Jul 9 2004)

Long live all gentoo and fvwm users!

Edit: lol, thought about it, the screener doesn't really show any Fvwm-specific coolness, but fooey. I love it, the config explains all.

Last edited by endgamer on Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried those mouse bindings, but they didnt work :(

i plugged them straight into the default fvwm2rc.
must be Im doing something wrong...??
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some time to read through the manpage. I know it's big, but it's pretty much required reading if you want to do any serious config file editing :) The configs can look horrendous at first, but after you've done some reading you'll begin to recognize more and more. My config is here if that helps anyone.

fizz: try setting $SHARE_DIR to the absolute path to your home dir, or use $ENV{HOME} as the $USER_FILE setting does.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, just for the hell of it I tried the config you posted and the keybindings still dont work. there must be something wrong with my fvwm. I can't think of anything else.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check you don't have NumLock turned on, I read in the FAQ that it can stop keybindings from working.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:?
well, that did the trick. thank you.
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
fizz wrote:

A.) fvwm-themes program doesnt work properly, when i do fvwm-themes-config --show-themes it seems to work fine, however if i do fvwm-themes-config --theme e17 it returns an error ' try --help for more info.. blah blah'

I only tried that program once, but it gives me the same message when I run it now. Must be broken or something

Sorry about that, I dont use fvwm-themes, but I'll speak to the maintainer and ask if he minds me taking over (I happen to know there was a new release yesterday).

fizz wrote:
alright, I give up, this is to damn agrevating, and i cant make it work. All it does it put background= into .fvwm-theme

Hold on! Give me a chance to take a look at fvwm-themes, If its broken, I'll get it fixed.

endgamer wrote:
Cant... resist... Must post my screenshot and config (which is totally unoriginal, may those who initially made it live forever):

Very nice!

st.anger wrote:
well, that did the trick. thank you.

Its just that with num-lock enabled is a different binding, which you can bind to the same thing, or something else..if you look in the manpage there is an IgnoreModifiers command that makes Num-Lock do nothing. :)
fizz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know why, but i cant seem to step away from fvwm, even after getting seriously aggrivated yesterday. Ill try to be more patient and understanding. I saw 0.7.0 was released for fvwm-themes yesterday and compiled that but it does the same thing 0.6.2, and there is no documentation on how to actually use it even when you do exactly as --help tells you to.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a look at the readme under /usr/share/doc/fvwm-theme-x.y.z? It's been a while since I'd tried it, and it looks like you actually have to start fvwm through one of the scripts that comes with fvwm-themes. This is the section we might be forgetting:
Quote:
How to Start
------------

Make sure you use one of the latest versions of fvwm >= 2.4.8.
Replace the last line of your ~/.Xclients (or ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession):
fvwm (or fvwm2)
with:
fvwm-themes-start
and rerun X. See the fvwm-themes-start manual page for more details.
You should get the default theme, which you can change using the root menu.

Maybe it isn't broken :)

Edit: I just tried it and it worked fine.
fizz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just gonna report back and say i figured out how to get that working, however i want just the few style lines for window decorations, im still reading. I dont like the other stuff that fvwm-themes does, i like my current setup -decors :)

Ill post a screenie in a bit when i have it tweaked to my liking..
fizz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bomb.net/woo.jpg

Im reasonably happy with my current setup, ive learned a lot lately, however there are a few things im stumped on.

http://bomb.net/fvwm2rc

Here are my current problems.

* When i minimize a window, it goes to window shade, which unshade will NOT put it back, cant it go somewhere in the pager i have there on the left?

* My Dockapps using FvwmButtons (Swallow ( do not update unless i put the mouse in that window. The 4 % cpu is still like that even after runnning glxgears, however if i click on it and put my mouse there it works

* Can i steal someone's code to add to my fvwm2rc file for the e17 or brushed metal window decorations, or point me to something that i can look at for reference, because fvwm-theme is ok, but doesnt work 100% properly for me, and fvwm-themes project makes fvwm very unpleasant IMHO

* How can i remove the two blank spots (top, botton) from my pager on the left (my fvwm2rc file is above for reference,

Congradulations taviso! Im now a fvwm zealot :)
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st. anger wrote:

Oh yea, you ar right about that. I am just now starting to understand some of it. I spent a lot of time in the manpages and looking thru other peoples configs and spent quite a bit of time on the mailing list.

My current configuration is borrowed from someone else...mostly because it was similar to what I wanted and clean. Now I can add things to it little at a time to see what happens with each option.

Here are my screenshots:

http://home.comcast.net/~luedchic/menu.png
http://home.comcast.net/~luedchic/logout.png
http://home.comcast.net/~luedchic/current.png

The LogOut button is made from a FvwmButtons Module that pops in the center of the screen when I log out from the start menu

Still working on my configs. I like many of the ideas that others have had. Like Suzanne Skinners site.

Take a look at the screenshots at fvwm.org and the links. Some people have cool setups.

Here is who I borrowed from (and there are others too.):
http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~artursc/fvwm/xp.png

Good Luck
endgamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just looking over the various screenshots and must say... wowzers. You can really make it look like anything you want, from a Winxp-esque theme to anything else that's totally cool.

The one other thing about Fvwm is that there's so much in it, you have to look at other people's screenshots and configs from time to time to find some of the features one's missing and might find useful. You all have tried using the FvwmPager right? You know, that thing that lets you manage 2x2 or 18x6 virtual desktops pretty easily? (I quote from the manpage: "The total number of distinct desktops does not need to be specified, but is limited to approximately 4 billion total.") That's probably one of the the biggest reason I use Fvwm and absolutely can't stand using Windows or Mac (forced to though). I can't remember who was the initial innovator of that virtual desktop deal, centered around the Pager-like device... I think Fluxbox and Sawfish have it too, Openbox, etc. (?). That way (with the pager), one can completely get away with all the advantages of multiple desktops and not have to have any remnant of a Windows-inspired taskbar.

Please everyone continue to post your screeners and configs!
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endgamer wrote:
Was just looking over the various screenshots and must say... wowzers. You can really make it look like anything you want, from a Winxp-esque theme to anything else that's totally cool.

The one other thing about Fvwm is that there's so much in it, you have to look at other people's screenshots and configs from time to time to find some of the features one's missing and might find useful. You all have tried using the FvwmPager right? You know, that thing that lets you manage 2x2 or 18x6 virtual desktops pretty easily? (I quote from the manpage: "The total number of distinct desktops does not need to be specified, but is limited to approximately 4 billion total.") That's probably one of the the biggest reason I use Fvwm and absolutely can't stand using Windows or Mac (forced to though). I can't remember who was the initial innovator of that virtual desktop deal, centered around the Pager-like device... I think Fluxbox and Sawfish have it too, Openbox, etc. (?). That way (with the pager), one can completely get away with all the advantages of multiple desktops and not have to have any remnant of a Windows-inspired taskbar.

Please everyone continue to post your screeners and configs!

Had to quote your whole post because you brought up a few reasons I started using fvwm....I dont necessarily need the taskbar stuff but my husband was absolutely lost when trying to use fluxbox, waimea or kahakai (since they are so similar) but when i put up the fvwm with a taskbar (my taskbar is actually fvwmbuttons vs the actual FvwmTaskBar) he was in familiar territory and i have actually been able to get him to use Linux. It was less intimadating for him to use some that LOOKED familiar.

Plus, my windows are animated when they close. They flip and zoom. The only thing I miss (being a pure eye candy freak) is having a taskbar like in OSX. gdesklets starterbar just doesnt work in fvwm but all the other desklet applets do.

I am still working on my config and it gets easier and easier when you figure out what different options do...I am glad other people share.

so keep 'em comin guys.
endgamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
The only thing I miss (being a pure eye candy freak) is having a taskbar like in OSX.

Hehe, and I'm the exact opposite, wanting as little moving and flashing and squirly eyecandies as possible. Pretty cool, we both use Fvwm :lol:. Although XDirectFB and full transparency is sooo awesome... besides being so functional... Wish those dudes good luck.
fizz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for anyone running into the problem i was having with dockapps standing still, instead of being animated.
Add -bw to the flags (i.e. wmclockmon -bw ) and it will fix the problem.
BW stands for Compatibility with broken window managers :)
hatem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around in the manpages for some clue on how to change the apearance of the titlebar but to no avail.

It would be great if someone could comment the section in their .fvwm2rc dealing with the menus and explain what each line does, but if that's too much to ask could you at least tell me where in the manpages it describes the different things you can do to the titlebar?

Thanks in advance.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizz wrote:
Just a heads up for anyone running into the problem i was having with dockapps standing still, instead of being animated.
Add -bw to the flags (i.e. wmclockmon -bw ) and it will fix the problem.
BW stands for Compatibility with broken window managers :)

I use gdesklets and ran into that problem...I used StaysOnBottom style and it worked fine. I am guessing the -bw switch is something that is built into dockapps?
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatem wrote:
I've been looking around in the manpages for some clue on how to change the apearance of the titlebar but to no avail.

It would be great if someone could comment the section in their .fvwm2rc dealing with the menus and explain what each line does, but if that's too much to ask could you at least tell me where in the manpages it describes the different things you can do to the titlebar?

Thanks in advance.

It is called TitleStyle and it is in the manpages....under the section named "OTHER COMMANDS CONTROLLING WINDOW STYLES"

MenuStyle is also in the manpages.

It can be a little frustrating to configure this puppy....I have been working on it for several months...It just started to click one day.

The man pages are a great resource. I think what could be done better is if theygave more examples and better explanations of what some of the options do. They are improving.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 3 of 67

Jump to: