View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Made the Switch to XFCE4 Reply with quote

I tried XFCE4 for the first time this week and it is now my window manager of choice. As a long time kde user (4+ years but using a lot of gtk aps), I'm impressed with the combination of speed, features, and eyecandy XFCE has to offer. I've tried a lot of the lightweight wm's out there but it seems to me that XFCE has the perfect balance between speed and eyecandy.

One thing that the XFCE folks need to do is get the word out. A lot of people, including me before last week, are unaware of what XFCE has to offer. If you haven't tried XFCE yet:
Code:
emerge xfce4

and take a look at XFCE.
DefconAlpha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

I am right there with you man :)

Was a hardcore GNOME user until the horrid 2.4 release. Now i have XFCE4 and i don't see myself going back.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I'm running Gnome 2.4 right now and I love it! I also have XFCE4 emerged, and it's great too! I'll use pretty much anything other than KDE, though I may have to try 3.2 when it comes out... (I doubt I will change from being a Gnome/XFCE user though...)
Anyway, XFCE really kicks ass. Nice piece of work, and many thanks to its authors.
Zeitgeist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was GNOME 2.4 a "horrid release?" It is nothing but better than 2.2, that statement makes absolutely no sense at all
slimsam1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using XFCE4 for about 2 months now.

It's sweet. Only thing is, I wish I could figure out how to make custom key bindings...

Anyway, I miss the swallowed app thing in gnome 1.x... when it wasn't there in 2.x, I cried. Like a baby.

It was really cool because I put my buddy list in it, and could see who signed on by moving the mouse over to the side of the screen.

But I digress.

Xfce4 is great.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist wrote:
How was GNOME 2.4 a "horrid release?" It is nothing but better than 2.2, that statement makes absolutely no sense at all

And what if 2.2 was an even more horrible release? 2.4 may be better, but it can still be a horrid release.

Erik
heavyt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am testing XFce4 now and it seem to be a perfect fit between Gnome 2.4 and KDE. Small, fast, some nice eye candy (but not too much), and somewhat easy to configure. 3 1/4 stars out of 4! Keep up the good work Xfce. :D
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist wrote:

gnome 1.4>gnome 2.4>gnome 2.2>gnome 2.0

I'd have to say that gnome 2.0-2.4 can be catagorized as "horrid". It's become increasing less horrid however. That doesn't mean it still isn't. 8)

xfce4 is pretty solid release however. It's ___worlds___ better than xfce3. The first time I ran it, I was expecting another CDE-like environment. What I got was something completely different. On my old computer (p3-orig 500), I even made the switch from blackbox to xfce4 (still running redhat 7.1.. gonna have to switch it to gentoo soon)
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:

I'd have to say that gnome 2.0-2.4 can be catagorized as "horrid". It's become increasing less horrid however. That doesn't mean it still isn't. 8)

I have to agree, to a certain extent. I like the newer incarnations of Nautilus, and some of the more full-featured userapps, but overall it feels unfinished. KDE is great but sometimes when you want to open a can, you want a canopener instead of a Swiss Army knife. :D

I first tried XFCE when the 'XF' still stood for XForms. 8O It's changed a lot! I just installed XFCE4 yesterday, and I'm impressed! As other people have said, it's got just enough features. I'd like to see the long-promised ROX integration happen, myself, but things look great without it! :D
Zeitgeist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:

gnome 1.4>gnome 2.4>gnome 2.2>gnome 2.0

Why?
Zephaniah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsam1 wrote:
Only thing is, I wish I could figure out how to make custom key bindings...

You probably want to change the XFce4 keybindings (not sure how), but there is a program called xbindkeys that can bind shell commands to a key.
emerge -p xbindkeys
and here's the webpage
BlueEar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Trivial questions Reply with quote

OK, so I tried XFce and I like it. But I have two, hopefully trivial questions: is there something equivallent to .gnomerc, where I can place commands that are run every time I start Xfce? And where can I find a documentation on how to make my CUPS printer visible to Xfce. Pointers, links and references are greatly appreciated!
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a notebook with a pentium mmx 233 and 128 mb edo ram and tried xfce4. performance is great, about 80 mb of memory are in use when X + xfce4 is running. i really didn't expect things to work that great. :D
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Xcfe on my laptop (300MHz P2, 128MB RAM) and it works quite nicely :).
heavyt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

BlueEar wrote:
OK, so I tried XFce and I like it. But I have two, hopefully trivial questions: is there something equivallent to .gnomerc, where I can place commands that are run every time I start Xfce? And where can I find a documentation on how to make my CUPS printer visible to Xfce. Pointers, links and references are greatly appreciated!

You may find ans in the Xfce4 manual. If the manual fails to open because you do not have mozilla, go in the script and put your browser name in or go to http://members.home.nl/xfce4/documentation/
Zephaniah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

heavyt wrote:
If the manual fails to open because you do not have mozilla, go in the script and put your browser name in

or set default browser for XFce. I put
Code:
export BROWSER="MozillaFirebird"
in my .bashrc

Change it to your favourite browser.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

BlueEar wrote:
OK, so I tried XFce and I like it. But I have two, hopefully trivial questions: is there something equivallent to .gnomerc, where I can place commands that are run every time I start Xfce?

you add scripts (probaby just links work) to ~/Desktop/Autostart. Which is annoying but it does work. I would rather it be a folder in .xfce4

Quote:
And where can I find a documentation on how to make my CUPS printer visible to Xfce. Pointers, links and references are greatly appreciated!

I don't use xfprint, but my printer is visible through cups to all my apps.

I run a gnome/xfce4 hybrid. I hate xffm and I need a tabbing terminal. So I run nautilus and gnome-terminal. It works fine. I also keep gnome around. One issue though is nautilus by itself doesn't seem configured, when you install gnome it tends to configure it self (mimitypes and whatnot)
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

noff wrote:

you add scripts (probaby just links work) to ~/Desktop/Autostart. Which is annoying but it does work. I would rather it be a folder in .xfce4

The freedesktop.org way (the one true way) is ~/Desktop/Autostart
asv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

shm wrote:
noff wrote:

The problem with this is that it dosn't work if you load XFCE from GDM.
BlueEar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

shm wrote:

Without getting into the "one true way" discussion :wink: thanks for the tip. It worked. I needed to run a script that sets up my Logitech MX700 with imwheel. The printer ... well, that's a different matter. I could not find anything helpful in the manual and even though lp FILE works from the command line, instructing Xfce4 that my printer is lp results in ... nothing ... ah, well, I'll dig some more.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

asv wrote:
shm wrote:
noff wrote:

That is odd, because /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/XFce4 just calls startxfce4 which in turn is what runs the startup scripts.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
zenz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's sweet. Only thing is, I wish I could figure out how to make custom key bindings...

Took me a while to figure out too:)
The file to edit is /usr/share/xfwm4/themes/default.keys/keythemerc
OR
/usr/share/xfwm4/themes/custom.keys/keythemerc

If you use the custom.keys, make sure u tell xfce4 to use it in the settings. I usulaly just edit the default.keys to save me the trouble. Make sure you make a backup copy of the original though... The wm doesn't load properly if u make a mistake in the file.

Good luck.
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what's funny?

The biggest reason I've been using XFCE4 is that I can swicth desktops with my mouse wheel and have GTK2 themes at the same time :P
raylpc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

asv wrote:
shm wrote:
noff wrote:

It works for me. Sometimes, the symbolic link doesn't work, then you have to put it into a shell script.
crowbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

BlueEar wrote:
shm wrote:

Without getting into the "one true way" discussion :wink: thanks for the tip. It worked. I needed to run a script that sets up my Logitech MX700 with imwheel. The printer ... well, that's a different matter. I could not find anything helpful in the manual and even though lp FILE works from the command line, instructing Xfce4 that my printer is lp results in ... nothing ... ah, well, I'll dig some more.

If you use xfrpint, you just have to put in the CUPS name for the printer, the xfprint will automtically add the lp for you (almost too simple isn't it?)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: