Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
booting with 32MB RAM on a 486
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: booting with 32MB RAM on a 486 Reply with quote

first~ wow, this is an excellent project. i'm impressed as it's exactly what i was looking for in linux. great work.

i would like to install under a system with minimal resources, namely 32mb RAM, 486, 32MB flash disk (i can increase this if neccessary). unfortunately, i cannot increase the amount of RAM available (this is an embedded project).

upon boot of the 16MB ISO, i get a kernel panic (out of memory) after USB is detected. any ideas?

i'm targeting the prometheus board from http://diamondsystems.com.

thanks!
tag,jakd
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,
taken frmo the official gentoo install guide

"To install from the build CD, you will need to have a 486+ processor and ideally at least 64 Megabytes of RAM. (Gentoo linux has been successfully built with 64MB of RAM + 64MB of swap space, but the build process is awfully slow under those conditions.)"

so maybe 32Mb is just not quite enough :(
Blaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm not out of line for say this, but if you do a A+N install of slackware, you can get it done on a 486 with 32 megs of ram. I've done it, and have it running as my router.

Due to the slow CPU, doing a compile from scrach based distro will probably be painfully slow, what may work better is build everything on another machine, and copy it over. One thing you will need to do, is make a wrapper for uname so that it will report the system your building it on as a 486 instead of what ever it really is, if you check the linux from scrach site, I think they may have what your looking for.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
hey,
taken frmo the official gentoo install guide

"To install from the build CD, you will need to have a 486+ processor and ideally at least 64 Megabytes of RAM. (Gentoo linux has been successfully built with 64MB of RAM + 64MB of swap space, but the build process is awfully slow under those conditions.)"

so maybe 32Mb is just not quite enough :(

There is always a way, I've done it on both laptop with 48MB RAM and a desktop with 40MB RAM.

jakd: I think you problems lies in the creation of a ramdisk. I think Gentoo is making one tooo big, and not leaving you enough room to play with till you can turn on your swap. Try editing the kernel parameters to "ramdisk_size=20000," I'm not sure if that will be enough though, but it will give you a spot to start.

Once you do get in to Gentoo, before doing anything else, get the swap up. Let me know how this works.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
jakd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitro wrote:
Once you do get in to Gentoo, before doing anything else, get the swap up. Let me know how this works.

thank you nitro! i will try this first thing tomorrow morning. i'll also take a look at the suggested linux from scratch site. i'll post my results here.
jakd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried a few settings altering ramdisk_size, but nothing seems to work reliably. i either hang or panic right before gentoo is ready to ask you for the keymap.

is there a way to disable usb and other device drivers through kernel parameters? that might lessen the amount of memory needed.

thanks,jakd
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my two cents:

don t install gentoo

that is right, gentoo is not the distro you want to use like this, how will you compile on that less space?
Whell, anyway, what you should do: intall gentoo on a different system with only the bare minimum you want on your embedded compu, make sure you target the compiler for your little platform. Then afterward you simply copy the files to the embedded thingy.
I would suggest using tar -p to preserver permissions together with netcat and the slackware bootdisks or something like that. Or just really forget about gentoo and use slackware with a + n like suggested.

greetz Ozy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: