bootable HD-Images avaible? / resetting firmware password
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huehnerhose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: bootable HD-Images avaible? / resetting firmware password Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to know if it is possible to get a working HD-Image of an solaris-installation for a Sun Blade 100. Or if gentoo has an /usr/sbin/eeprom command like solaris.

My problem is the following:
I have an old Sun Blade 100 and don't know the Firmware password and can't boot the system caused by empty HDs :(
As far as I read my only hope is to get a working System on my HD and setting the password with /usr/sbin/eeprom. I can't boot from any CD caused by the firmware password.
I thought I can copy a working HD-image to first boot device and use this to call the command...

Do you think this might work? Or are there other solutions to reset the NVRAM. I also thought about writing the NVRAM manualy (using my Atmel-Equipment) but I'm not sure if this will work or break the NVRAM completly :oops:

Thanks for reply
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Googling, I found that: http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
huehnerhose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: Thanks...
but :) I allready read this site. Bad thing on it is, it is dealing with the Sun Sparc 4c models. So the version of OpenBoot is 2 or 3, mine is 4. That's why I don't think I can use the Hex-Codes anyway.
The tips there concerning reset may be good, but won't work for me, too cause: I can't boot without the chip nor do I have a second "good" one to do the hotswapping trick.

If anyone here has to much spare time (and lives somewhere in germany) and has a blade 100 working, I would be more than happy to send her/him my NVRAM :twisted:
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huehnerhose wrote:
The tips there concerning reset may be good, but won't work for me, too cause: I can't boot without the chip nor do I have a second "good" one to do the hotswapping trick.

Does the Blade 100 really not boot without an NVRAM? My Ultra 60 does.
Your box should take the same NVRAMs as mine (M48T59Y and compatibles) and I have some spares. As I also live in Berlin, dropping one off at your place or mailing it should not be a problem. The memory contents shouldn't really matter, as the Suns I have owned so far would happily boot from an empty one (dead battery).

ad

P.S.: I missed half your question: Yes, there is an eeprom binary for linux -- it should do what you want, I have never tried it though. Gentoo has it in sys-apps/sparc-utils.
huehnerhose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I send you a PM :)

Concerning booting without NVRAM. As I wrote i tried to do so, but the monitor stayed black. The RS232/tty messages looked like confusing hex-codes. But I will try it again tomorrow, maybe I just have to wait longer...
huehnerhose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

thanks to aderesch I am able to boot my Blade :D
He gave me a NVRAM and the Hotpluggin and setenv security-mode worked

But will try to reset my second Blades NVRAM with a HD-image I install on my first. Maybe it is possible to create an image for downloading and reseting...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: