Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Changing processor. System remerge required?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modsRule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Changing processor. System remerge required? Reply with quote

I currently have a athlon64x2 processor on a nforce4 based motherboard. All of my current gentoo installation has been compiled for this, with the -march flag set to athlon64.

I have ordered the components to upgrade my computer to a phenom ii based system on an nvidia 750a based motherboard.
Presumably, the first stage would be to use the minimal install cd to rebuild the kernel.
I will need to change the -march flag to barcelona to enable the new processors features, will I then need to remerge world before it will run properly on the new system?

Thanks.
Ali
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not changing down the model range, or changing make i.e. Intel, then you should be ok.... you'll soon know if it won't work as it won't boot 8)

Once its booted, you can change your flangs and then emerge -eav system, emerge -eav world a few times like you would if you'd updated GCC.

Rich.
p.s. the only thing you can't do with a system rebuild like this is go from 32bit -> 64bit... that needs a total re-install.
modsRule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I will post what I had to do, once I get the bits.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have a problem with that. It's a good time to set -march=native instead. Strictly speaking, you don't need to recompile anything unless you are paranoid about that. The system will eventually catch up if you use "native".
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Changing processor. System remerge required? Reply with quote

modsRule wrote:
Presumably, the first stage would be to use the minimal install cd to rebuild the kernel.

How is booting to minimal CD different from booting to existing system. :roll:
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd only need to boot from a minimal cd if your current kernel won't start.
You would then pick a minimal CD for your new CPU type and then re-compile the kernel to support that CPU.
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I would second the -march=native usage as that will automagically utilize the correct optimizations for your cpu. You will only need to recompile kernel if your new motherboard requires different drivers for things like LAN, Sound, etc...
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use -march=native -pipe and you will be good to go :P
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please, if you value your money, stay away from nvidia based chipset mb, they are pure crap.
modsRule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobspencer123 wrote:
yeah I would second the -march=native usage as that will automagically utilize the correct optimizations for your cpu. You will only need to recompile kernel if your new motherboard requires different drivers for things like LAN, Sound, etc...

Yep, they will all change for the new chipset, so I think that I wlll need to use the minimal cd to recompile the kernel.

DaggyStyle wrote:
please, if you value your money, stay away from nvidia based chipset mb, they are pure crap.

Care to provide any evidence for this? Without any, this statement is a little weak.
Besides, having already paid for my new motherboard, it is a little late to change. ;)
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modsRule wrote:
Care to provide any evidence for this? Without any, this statement is a little weak.
Besides, having already paid for my new motherboard, it is a little late to change. ;)

1. check tomshardware's forums, ask there... I won't answer you there ;) I promise
  2. my previous hp laptop has nvidia chipset, the mb was replaced 6 times in 3 three years, now after the warranty expired guess what happened...

modsRule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
modsRule wrote:

1. check tomshardware's forums, ask there... I won't answer you there ;) I promise
  2. my previous hp laptop has nvidia chipset, the mb was replaced 6 times in 3 three years, now after the warranty expired guess what happened...

Hmm, well given that I have been using my current motherbaord (nforce4 chipset) for over 2 years without problems, and I have just bought another nvidia based motherboard, I would rather not tempt fate by looking up other peoples crashes beforehand. :)

Anyway, this is slightly off the threads topic.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modsRule wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
modsRule wrote:

Hmm, well given that I have been using my current motherbaord (nforce4 chipset) for over 2 years without problems, and I have just bought another nvidia based motherboard, I would rather not tempt fate by looking up other peoples crashes beforehand. :)

Anyway, this is slightly off the threads topic.

it's your call, I've just wanted to help out.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
modsRule wrote:

Your laptop died the next day ?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
modsRule wrote:

Your laptop died the next day ?
\
couple of days after.
modsRule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Upgrade carried out.
Kernel rebuilt from minimal cd.
This enabled booting into old system, where I then changed to march=amdfam10 (not native, see below)
I then did a rebuild of system + nvidia-drivers.

Now I am back to a working system, and am carrying out a full world rebuild.

NB: I chose not to use native because I use distcc and the gcc manual stated that using native with distcc was known to cause problems particularly when compiling across different architectures (which I do, since I compile with some core2s).
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
couple of days after.

I feel your pain.

It happened to me once.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modsRule wrote:
Ok. Upgrade carried out.

Well, I see my advice to build new kernel for your new hardware while still running on old hardware wasn't taken. Would have saved hassle with CD.
I switched from AMD to Intel once, my new kernel was ready while the new hardware was still in mail.
kenethh7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
modsRule wrote:
Ok. Upgrade carried out.

Well, I see my advice to build new kernel for your new hardware while still running on old hardware wasn't taken. Would have saved hassle with CD.
I switched from AMD to Intel once, my new kernel was ready while the new hardware was still in mail.

Its good to switched from AMD to Intel once??? may be just due to the name of intel? Do there are best then this one?> Apple ?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel CoreI7 and PhenomX4 are pretty cool, but I think that AMD will release a X6 or even a X8 in a couple of weeks.

The war will never ends between these 2 :P
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Intel CoreI7 and PhenomX4 are pretty cool, but I think that AMD will release a X6 or even a X8 in a couple of weeks.

The war will never ends between these 2 :P

x8 will be awesome! I'll build my mainframe with it.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so, you will need to post your spec and also your time emerge -e system :P

We have a little competition about that here.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing processor. System remerge required? Reply with quote

modsRule wrote:
I currently have a athlon64x2 processor on a nforce4 based motherboard. All of my current gentoo installation has been compiled for this, with the -march flag set to athlon64.

I have ordered the components to upgrade my computer to a phenom ii based system on an nvidia 750a based motherboard.
I will need to change the -march flag to barcelona to enable the new processors features, will I then need to remerge world before it will run properly on the new system?

Thanks.
Ali

You're going to see basically no difference in performance.

Just change /etc/make.conf and packages will be recompiled with the new flags as you update.

richard.scott wrote:
If your not changing down the model range, or changing make i.e. Intel, then you should be ok.... you'll soon know if it won't work as it won't boot 8)

Once its booted, you can change your flangs and then emerge -eav system, emerge -eav world a few times like you would if you'd updated GCC.

Rich.
p.s. the only thing you can't do with a system rebuild like this is go from 32bit -> 64bit... that needs a total re-install.

Ugh. So much misinformation.

When you `emerge gcc`it rebuilds itself. Let me say that another way.

Running `emerge gcc` bootstraps gcc, and produces an executable called xgcc. So say you have gcc-4.3.4 installed, and you're upgrading to 4.4.2. gcc-4.3.4 compiles the gcc-4.4.2 sources and produces `xgcc'. Then xgcc (again, built from the 4.4.2 sources) builds gcc-4.4.2 and installs it on your system.

I can't imagine how much time you've wasted rebuilding your system multiple times after a gcc upgrade.
Raistlin Majere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't imagine how much time you've wasted rebuilding your system multiple times after a gcc upgrade.

I thought the point of emerge -e system && emerge -e world after a gcc update was so that everything was recompiled using the new gcc version. The documentation makes it sound like there would be issues if you don't.

Quote:
To be completely safe that your system is in a sane state, you must rebuild the toolchain and then world to make use of the new compiler.

Are you saying that this isn't necessary?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be 100% sure, you can run this :

Code:

# emerge -eav system && emerge -eav world
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: