View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: NetworkManager in LXDE doesn't save password in keyring Reply with quote

Hi dear all.

I finally got my VPN connection to itsHidden to work flawlessly.

Nevertheless, each time the VPN disconnects, nm-applet requires password to be typed in again, no matter what option I formerly selected in the password dialog box.
I guess it has to do with lack of LXDE integration with only installed gnome-keyring but unconfigured.
I've read somewhere something about seahorse which could be beneficial to such an issue, (unsure).

Please note that the password is different to the one of the current login profile.
Please also note that networkmanager-pptp doesn't remember any password I may set in my connection parameters.

Any idea on the suject ?

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 am; edited 5 times in total
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just need to install gnome-keyring and simply put this in your session startup:

/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize

They keyring is now running and nm-applet/networkmanager should now be able to use it.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to follow your advice, especially by :

1) removing the OnlyShowIn from /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-daemon.desktop
2) restart of LXDE : Although LXDE started, I had the following message in the console:
Code:
Message: couldn't set environment variable in session: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-o2vyMS/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-o2vyMS/socket.ssh
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=15928
which happens wether I have
Code:
Exec= gnome-keyring-daemon --start
or
Code:
Exec= gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize
in above mentionned file.

A command line in terminal from LDXE reveals gnome-keyring-daemon is up at least:
Code:
ps -A|grep gnome
22005 tty1     00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
22013 tty1     00:00:00 gnome-pty-helpe
However, I managed to connect/disconnect/reconnect to my VPN, asking for password to be stored in the password dialog windows. That failed. That is I had to type in my password again.

Finally I went into my VPN configuration manager, trying to configure a 'hardcoded' password to be saved along with the VPN login name. This failed too. Console reported the following error:
Code:
nm-connection-editor:22724): WARNING **: save_secrets: failed to save user password to keyring.

N.B. this is all ran under the root account ( very bad I know :oops: )

Feel a bit lost now ... What should be investigated ?

Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how *smart* LXDE is (seems really primitive to me (WHICH IS GOOD :wink: )) but do you have a session dbus started? Under 'normal' operation, each program that needs dbus but can't find it starts his own dbus service. Better is to use a user-wide dbus services that all programs use. You can start this service by doing:

Quote:
eval `/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`

And then starting the gnome-keyring manager.

FYI eval means to execute the command listed and execute *all* of it's output. dbus-launch sends environment variables to stdout (output) which, if executed, are set as default environment variables for every 'child' program that bash (which executes eval...) starts. So this means you have to make sure that this command is executed before *anything* else (first line in ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc ?) is ran under your username.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting 8)
I have dbus configured in rc-update.
I'm using ~/.xinitrc
AFAIK, i don't have session dbus started. So let's try as mentioned ... Which provides, according to console
Code:
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-e9Zl5dQBhM,guid=e536599957b2861c12e66fc14b8d2a40';
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=3290;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=4194305;
Gnome-keyring-daemon report in console remains the same ... :?

No functionnal inprovement in password automatic recovery at vpn reconnection nor at VPN connection settings update. :cry:

Another thing I've noticed is that gnome-keyring was compiled with hal USE flag low (from a equery point of view) 8O
Could it matter ?
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dbus configured in eselect rc is the system-wide daemon. You need a system-wide and a user specific daemon to make good use of dbus.

Furthermore, it seems you executed dbus launch directly. You need to put this on the first (1) line of .xinitrc

Code:
eval `/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`

Then reboot (just to be sure)

This is a very important detail to make this work. Furthermore, good that you mention the useflags, I'm using a bare setup and this is my configuration that works:

gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.26.3 USE="pam -debug -doc -hal -test"
sys-auth/pambase-20090620.1-r1 USE="gnome-keyring mktemp sha512 -consolekit -cracklib -debug -passwdqc (-selinux) -ssh"
gnome-base/gdm-2.20.10-r2 USE="branding gnome-keyring pam -accessibility -afs -consolekit -debug -dmx -ipv6 -remote (-selinux) -tcpd -xinerama"

Perhaps you could also show me the output of:

equery hasuse gnome-keyring

?
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I did it in ~/xinitrc. :)
Code:
equery hasuse gnome-keyring
[ Searching for USE flag gnome-keyring in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] sys-auth/pambase-20090620.1-r1 (0)
[I--] [  ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.2.3 (0)
And
Code:
equery uses sys-auth/pambase-20090620.1-r1
[ Searching for packages matching sys-auth/pambase-20090620.1-r1... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[        : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for sys-auth/pambase-20090620.1-r1 ]
 U I
 - - consolekit    : Enable pam_ck_connector module on local system logins. This allows for console logins to make use of ConsoleKit authorization.
 + + cracklib      : Support for cracklib strong password checking
 - - debug         : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 - - gnome-keyring : Enable support for storing passwords via gnome-keyring
 - - mktemp        : Enable pam_mktemp module on system auth stack for session handling. This module creates a private temporary directory for the user, and sets TMP and TMPDIR accordingly.
 - - passwdqc      : Enable pam_passwdqc module on system auth stack for password quality validation. This is an alternative to pam_cracklib producing warnings, rejecting or providing example passwords when changing your system password. It is used by default by OpenWall GNU/*/Linux and by FreeBSD.
 - - selinux       : !!internal use only!! Security Enhanced Linux support, this must be set by the selinux profile or breakage will occur
 - + sha512        : Switch Linux-PAM's pam_unix module to use sha512 for passwords hashes rather than MD5. This option requires >=sys-libs/pam-1.0.1 built against >=sys-libs/glibc-2.7, if it's built against an earlier version, it will silently be ignored, and MD5 hashes will be used. All the passwords changed after this USE flag is enabled will be saved to the shadow file hashed using SHA512 function. The password previously saved will be left untouched. Please note that while SHA512-hashed passwords will still be recognised if the USE flag is removed, the shadow file will not be compatible with systems using an earlier glibc version.
 - - ssh           : Enable pam_ssh module on system auth stack for authentication and session handling. This module will accept as password the passphrase of a private SSH key (one of ~/.ssh/id_rsa, ~/.ssh/id_dsa or ~/.ssh/identity), and will spawn an ssh-agent instance to cache the open key.
So at least my gnome-keyring, mktemp, cracklib USE flag differ to yours,
Code:
equery uses gnome-base/gdm
[ Searching for packages matching gnome-base/gdm... ]
[ Found these USE variables for gnome-base/gdm-2.20.10-r2 ]
 U I
 - - accessibility : Adds support for accessibility (eg 'at-spi' library)
 - - afs           : Adds OpenAFS support (distributed file system)
 - - branding      : Enable Gentoo specific branding
 - - consolekit    : Allow proper handling of removable media according to who is actually present on the machine.
 - - debug         : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 - - dmx           : Enables Distributed Multihead X (DMX) support
 + + elibc_glibc   : ELIBC setting for systems that use the GNU C library
 - - gnome-keyring : Enable support for storing passwords via gnome-keyring
 - - ipv6          : Adds support for IP version 6
 + + pam           : Adds support PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) - DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
 - - remote        : Enables support for secure remote connections
 - - selinux       : !!internal use only!! Security Enhanced Linux support, this must be set by the selinux profile or breakage will occur
 + + tcpd          : Adds support for TCP wrappers
 - - xinerama      : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which allows you to stretch your display across multiple monitors
Again branding, gnome-keyring, tcpd USE flag differ. I'm using xdg (I guess) so
Code:
equery uses x11-apps/xdm-1.1.8
[ Searching for packages matching x11-apps/xdm-1.1.8... ]
[ Found these USE variables for x11-apps/xdm-1.1.8 ]
 U I
 - - debug : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 - - ipv6  : Adds support for IP version 6
 + + pam   : Adds support PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) - DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
doesn't seem that bad (AFAICS).

My guess it that you have a functionnal gentoo+gnome+networkmanager at your disposal ( this is my 2 cents :lol: ), which is interesting because it's just the configuration I'd like to avoid to have, despite how useful it could be for LXDE debugging at gnome integration level. (IMHO what is just happening at this very moment).

I think I will try to work on those USE flags issues. Could take long because hardware in 15 years old, and consequently slow: 586 at 450Mhz, IDE at PIO4, 784 Mb RAM :wink: Good reason to gentooize I guess. :lol:

What do you think ? I'll keep you informed.

Thank for your attention.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
My guess it that you have a functionnal gentoo+gnome+networkmanager at your disposal ( this is my 2 cents :lol: ), which is interesting because it's just the configuration I'd like to avoid to have, despite how useful it could be for LXDE debugging at gnome integration level. (IMHO what is just happening at this very moment).

Good guess, not quite :wink: . I'm only using gdm because I wanted to make my computer a multi-seat one (next reinstall I won't be using any login manager). The rest of it is all XFCE with as few gnome stuff as possible.

CaptainBlood wrote:
What do you think ? I'll keep you informed.

I suggest you enable gnome-keyring in pambase. The other useflags are only to increase security (insane strong passwords, yes I'm paranoid :lol: )
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexilion wrote:
Good guess, not quite
One cent only then ;)
Rexilion wrote:
... with as few gnome stuff as possible.
Very similar building profile :)
Rexilion wrote:
... in pambase. The other useflags are only to increase security
mk_temp seems promising though :?

CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally regarding the dbus session, it seems implemented in openbox/autostart.sh
so I removed my own implementation for it.

Just to sum up the situation.

LXDE is started through ~/.xinitrc
gnome-keyring package is installed.
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-daemon.desktop exists and is lauched along with LXDE.
networkmanager doesn't save password, neither on the fly nor withing connection settings. :oops:

list of gnome labeled installed packages:
Code:
equery list | grep gnome
app-text/gnome-doc-utils-0.16.1
dev-python/gnome-python-base-2.26.1
dev-python/gnome-vfs-python-2.26.1
dev-python/libgnome-python-2.26.1
dev-python/libgnomecanvas-python-2.26.1
gnome-base/gconf-2.26.2-r1
gnome-base/gnome-common-2.26.0
gnome-base/gnome-desktop-2.26.3
gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.26.3
gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.26.2
gnome-base/gnome-mime-data-2.18.0
gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.26.3
gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.24.1
gnome-base/gvfs-1.2.3
gnome-base/libbonobo-2.24.1
gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.1
gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4
gnome-base/libgnome-2.26.0
gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.26.0
gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.1
gnome-base/librsvg-2.26.0
gnome-base/orbit-2.14.17
gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.15
gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.7.2
gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.9.2-r1
net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.26.3-r1
x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-2.26.0
No other WM has ever been installed on this computer.

Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dumped GDM since your last post and it seems that session-managers are sometimes not capable of handling new technologies. In my case, my session starts with:

startxfce4

GDM only sets up some stuff about language and .xsession-error handling, so I start my session in /etc/conf.d/local.start like so:

Code:
su -c "startx > ~/.xsession-errors 2> ~/.xsession-errors" -l ronald &

and my .xinitrc looks like this:

Code:
. /etc/profile
. /etc/init.d/functions.sh

export LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8

exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session startxfce4

You need the first two lines to get some important (gentoo-specific? only) environmental variables. The third line sets language. The last one is the most interesting, startxfce4 handles dbus and ssh-agent for me but not ck-launch-session. So I had to do that here, just to get nm-applet working. I only needed these four lines to replace GDM functionality :wink: .

Perhaps this might help you too. If not please post the output of the following while you are logged in:

Code:
env

Code:
set

Code:
ps aux | grep `whoami`

Code:
cat ~/.xinitrc

Personally I think that the "/usr/bin/ck-launch-session" thing is doing the trick. Because, whenever I start my XFCE session as root without /usr/bin/ck-launch-session, nm-applet works (haven't tested the password functionality). But if I start it as a normal user without /usr/bin/ck-launch-session it won't work. So I have to use it, and I'm hoping it also helps with the passwords :wink:
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
While re-reading the gentoo LXDE install procedure, I came to realize I've skipped over the "exec /usr/bin/ck-lauch-session" thing, just like you recommend.
So I finally did. And it worked. It also solved some issues with nm-applet for login different than root. I guess it better not to to run X11 as root.

While googling on the subject of gnome-keyring, I came to read a recent documentation at Suse, about a gnome-keyring patch in order to make it compatible with LXDE :cry:
Don't know what to think about it. Patch was dated to 15-Feb-2010 so it may take a long time to come to Gentoo ... Maybe it is only regarding some Suse specifics ?

I will try to investigate whether Seahorse can be a solution for password management or not.

Thanks to you for your support and to the others for their attention.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
While googling on the subject of gnome-keyring, I came to read a recent documentation at Suse, about a gnome-keyring patch in order to make it compatible with LXDE :cry:
Don't know what to think about it. Patch was dated to 15-Feb-2010 so it may take a long time to come to Gentoo ... Maybe it is only regarding some Suse specifics ?

You can also try something like this:

Code:
su -
ebuild /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-keyring/gnome-keyring-2.26.3.ebuild unpack
cd /var/tmp/portage/gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.26.3/work/
wget http://link/to/suse/patch/susegnomekeyring.patch
patch < susegnomekeyring.patch
patch -p1 < susegnomekeyring.patch # if the first patch command failes (I'm always in a fight with patch before it works xD )
rm -f susegnomekeyring.patch
ebuild /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-keyring/gnome-keyring-2.26.3.ebuild merge

However, gnome-keyring works now right? What do you exactly mean by 'making it LXDE compatible'? Do you mean using it without ck-launch-session?
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Gnome-keyring doesn't work.:oops:
No I didn't apply the patch http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/factory/noarch/gnome-keyring-lang-2.29.90-1.3.noarch.html.
:? because title relates it to language, this may be a hazardeous statement.
Interesting procedure you posted 8), at least the first I see not giving me a headache :). If version level is ok, I may attempt to apply it.:wink:
EDIT: patch requires gnome-keyring 2.29.90 whereas mine is 2.26.3, unfortunatly.:?

CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
After googling for a while, it seems gdm to be the easiest solution. Which I finally installed. Then tried. And ... it...
works! 8)
LXDE now has nm-applet+gnome-keyring+VPN. I'm one step next to my goal which now requires automatic reconnection of the VPN at disconnection :wink:.
Beside this I've a strange feeling (and probably silly) that I've somehow bloated my Gentoo box, which belongs to the previous century, remember :lol:?

Maybe someone has some advices for a better architecture ? In deed gdm is quite a bit of a 'showslower', and not very nice looking (could be worse still :wink: )

Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so you want to automatically login -> automatically unlock your keyring -> automatically start your vpn right?
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
No I only want automatic VPN reconnection after it being disconnected by its VPN provider :).
My actual idea is that it should be done through scripting :oops: Feasable still, I guess ;)...

It would be nice, though, to have VPN immediate connection after WM login ...
I haven't checked if saving VPN password is now achieved within connection settings (in nm-applet, that is ...) ?

As far as GDM is concerned, I can't log out back to console ... Any idea ?

Thanks for your attention, and support.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
Hi,
No I only want automatic VPN reconnection after it being disconnected by its VPN provider :).
My actual idea is that it should be done through scripting :oops: Feasable still, I guess ;)...

For that, I suggest you don't use networkmanager-openvpn for that. You can put a file with settings (say: ispvpn.conf in /etc/openvpn). And then make a init symlink for it like so:

Code:
cd /etc/init.d/
ln -s openvpn openvpn.ispvpn
eselect rc add openvpn.ispvpn default

This will start your ISP vpn at boottime for everyone (do you want that?). To make it automatically reconnect, you should look at the ping, ping-restart, connect-retry and maybe also connect-retry-max options from openvpn :) . The advantage of using the init system with a configuration-file is that you don't have to rely on userspace programs to reconnect, it's far more robust.

CaptainBlood wrote:
It would be nice, though, to have VPN immediate connection after WM login ...
I haven't checked if saving VPN password is now achieved within connection settings (in nm-applet, that is ...) ?

You can achieve that with the above, but maybe NM provides an 'automatic connect' option?

CaptainBlood wrote:
As far as GDM is concerned, I can't log out back to console ... Any idea ?

Do you mean that GDM will keep coming back after you logout? That is GDM respawning, if you want to go back to console do CTRL+ALT+F1 :wink:

CaptainBlood wrote:
Thanks for your attention, and support.

No problem :D
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside all pending questions from your previous post, seems like file access rights constrain GDM to be started as root :oops:
It surely fully makes sense to many, but not for a noob like me :(
AFAIK, sudo shouldn"t really improve from a security level point of view, since gdm would remain executed with root rights, wouldn't it ?
My 2 cents I should get along with it :wink:. At least su -c "gdm" should be fine for me.

Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
Beside all pending questions from your previous post, seems like file access rights constrain GDM to be started as root :oops:

I have GDM started as root, no problem. What is the error?

If you happen to use KMS and a fairly recent kernel, I heard it's possible to start X as a normal user (which will be the future).
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I must have been confusing,
That is I cannot start GDM if login is not root. :)
On the other side, I've been tweaking with SLIM with mitigated success, So I've given it up.

Your statements on how to handle connection/disconnection/reconnection scenario make sense.
Still have to think a little bit more about it.

Thanks for you attention.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding KMS, I've been aware a long time ago about this conflict between Kernel and Xorg for the graphical engine management ... although I didn't realize at that time the impact it should have on how X could be started :o! Nevertheless, I also thought it was implemented for a while now. And widely spread too :oops:!. Thanks keeping me getting updated :lol: !
There's a acer timeline 5810tg just behind me which has an ati radeon inside. Guess this kind of architecture should be concerned by KMS. But the laptop remains unpacked by now because other things should be solved first.

Thanks for your attention and interest.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see :) . Yes, the reason you cannot start GDM as a normal user is because you need privileges to access certain system components. That will indeed be solved with KMS and co.

Good luck :)
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to some information I unfortunatly cannot retrieve, it seems like openbox's autostart.sh script isn't launched when starting LXDE.
So my former statement about DBUS-session being started when starting LXDE by whatever method because of this autostart.sh calling it could finally be false ! So please double-check before making any assumption regarding this.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check whether this is started on login (just found out). Please post the output of:

Code:
ps aux | grep dbus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: