what to do when packages not found?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: what to do when packages not found? Reply with quote

Okay, am a newbie at all this and don't know how to proceed. I keep getting "can't download" errors when I try to emerge things, and I'm not sure what to do about it. (I have just finished the installation guide, and have grub working and gentoo booting to command prompt.)

- During the installation I tried to emerge one suggested file that wouldn't download, (system logger xxx-ng?), but simply selected a different program and proceeded from there.

-Now at the gentoo command line I tried to emerge xfree, but was stopped when the fontsomething package wouldn't download.

-At this point I remembered something about choosing mirrors in the installation guide, figured better mirrors might help, and tried to emerge links (so I could pull up the installation guide without dual-booting back to win2k.) Unfortunately, links seems to need the same font package. So, no links, (and no guide).

-Not quite ready to give up, I tried "find / -iname *mirr* | more" and looking over the found files concluded it must be mirrorselect.

-Emerge mirrorselect. Nope... not able to download netselect.

-What the hey, I tried to emerge netselect. Same thing.

I'm sure it's obvious, but help anyways, please. What do I do when emerge fails to download a given package? (And does it always happen this often?)
aroben
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't even emerge netselect (which should be on almost all the portage mirrors), you probably are having a problem somewhere between you and the portage mirrors, not with the portage mirrors themselves. What error message does emerge give you specifically?

(Also, try emerge lynx -- that shouldn't have as many dependencies as links)

-Adam
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont wish to state the obvious , but are you sure you have an internet connection? The ftp prog that do the download expect a connection to exist.
mef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What error message does emerge give you specifically?

I'll try again and be more specific, but the gist of the messages always was that the host was unreachable. (One I specifically remember was worldvision.ca, and I couldn't ping it either).

Quote:
(Also, try emerge lynx -- that shouldn't have as many dependencies as links)
Good advice, will do.

Quote:
Dont wish to state the obvious , but are you sure you have an internet connection?
Of this, I am sure, thanks. :wink: Most packages download with no difficulty.

Finally, back to aroben's first comment:
Quote:
If you can't even emerge netselect (which should be on almost all the portage mirrors), you probably are having a problem somewhere between you and the portage mirrors, not with the portage mirrors themselves.

My question is: how do I know if portage is making a good-faith attempt to contact a run of mirrors? In all the cases I've mentioned, it seems to give up at the first sign of failure. Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks again.
aroben
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mef wrote:
how do I know if portage is making a good-faith attempt to contact a run of mirrors? In all the cases I've mentioned, it seems to give up at the first sign of failure. Is this normal behaviour?

emerge will go through all the mirrors specified by GENTOO_MIRRORS= in your /etc/make.conf to try to find the source it's looking for (GENTOO_MIRRORS is what mirrorselect modifies). If it can't find the sources in any of those mirrors, it checks the /usr/portage/profiles/thirdpartymirrors file, which contains a list of mirrors for specific packages (for example, it says that Gnome packages can also be found on the ftp.gnome.org servers). If there's an entry matching the package you're trying to emerge, it tries to get the source from those servers. If it can't find the sources on any of those mirrors, then it will give you the download failed message.

Probably you only have one mirror specified in your /etc/make.conf file. Try adding a few more from the Gentoo Linux Mirrors page and see if you have any better luck. Once you've added more mirrors to your /etc/make.conf file, you should see emerge try each server in turn, and if you'll only get your error message if they all fail.

-Adam
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: