Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GraphicsMagick conflicts with ImageMagick?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: GraphicsMagick conflicts with ImageMagick? Reply with quote

I just tried to install GraphicsMagick (well, it was pulled in as a dependency), but I get a conflict note with my existing ImageMagick. It tells me I can't have both installed at the same time. I did a web search, and those sites that discuss the compatibility say that both can reside on the same system with no problems. However, most of the web pages that make this claim are several years old.

The current GraphicsMagick page says, "GM does not does not conflict with other installed software." That's pretty vague, but it supports the notion that they should be able to coexist.

So does anyone know why the GraphicsMagick ebuild excludes ImageMagick?

I'm a bit afraid to remove ImageMagick, since I foresee lots of breakage on all kinds of packages that expect IM to be there.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your useflags...
It seems, that the imagemagick useflag on graphicsmagick forbids imagemagick to be installed on the system. Try to remove/unset the useflag.

just my .02$
V.

PS. relevant parts from graphicsmagick ebuild
Code:
RDEPEND="app-text/ghostscript-gpl
        bzip2? ( app-arch/bzip2 )
        fpx? ( media-libs/libfpx )
        jbig? ( media-libs/jbigkit )
        jpeg? ( media-libs/jpeg )
        jpeg2k? ( >=media-libs/jasper-1.701.0 )
        lcms? ( media-libs/lcms )
        perl? ( dev-lang/perl )
        png? ( media-libs/libpng )
        svg? ( dev-libs/libxml2 )
        tiff? ( >=media-libs/tiff-3.8.2 )
        truetype? ( >=media-libs/freetype-2.0 )
        wmf? ( media-libs/libwmf )
        X? ( x11-libs/libXext x11-libs/libSM )
        imagemagick? ( !media-gfx/imagemagick )"
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh.

You're absolutely right! That's pretty counter-intuitive, but it seems to be working. Thanks!
WintermuteX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thats braindead. Because graphicsmagick should be a dropin replacement for imagemagick, the USE flag compiles further tools which would conflict with imagemagick since they replace imagemagick.
But gentoo in it's allmighty wisdom choose to make fun of us and forces imagemagick EVEN if there is graphicsmagick with imagemagick USE flag, as GM is superior I feel fooled.

PS: so, this is clearly a bug!
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WintermuteX wrote:
No, thats braindead. Because graphicsmagick should be a dropin replacement for imagemagick, the USE flag compiles further tools which would conflict with imagemagick since they replace imagemagick.
But gentoo in it's allmighty wisdom choose to make fun of us and forces imagemagick EVEN if there is graphicsmagick with imagemagick USE flag, as GM is superior I feel fooled.

PS: so, this is clearly a bug!

Some packages really force imagemagick or graphicsmagick in purpose because neither one is a replacement to anothers libraries. Only 1/3 of the reverse dependencies use the tools, rest use the libraries which don't match at all.

Not a bug.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know !

had some trouble installing graphicsmagick along with imagemagick

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Only 1/3 of the reverse dependencies use the tools, rest use the libraries which don't match at all.

Wouldn't it be time to introduce virtual/imagemagick-tools, finally? This way packages could specify whether they depend on the tools and/or the library instead of playing the confusing and lengthy || ( ... ) game. Moreover, in this way one could easily also introduce media-gfx/imagemagick[tools] (and maybe rename the confusing media-gfx/graphicsmagick[imagamagick] into media-gfx/graphicsmagick[tools]) to allow the user to decide whether he wants the tools from imagemagick or graphicsmagick (as I understood, some users might prefer the latter which is currently impossible). Last but not least, users who need only the libraries (because some program depends on it) are not forced to install the tools at all.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to search for any package that requires a dependency with a specific USE flag? I emerged an ebuild a couple weeks ago that explicitly required graphicsmagick with USE="imagemagick" set, which conflicts with a lot of other packages. But now, when I'm running 'emerge -uD world', I'm being told that imagemagick is blocking graphicsmagick, likely for this reason. I'd like to be able to find out which package that was so I can file a bug or something, because having to set/unset that USE back and forth seems somewhat … inefficient.

Cheers,

EE
nick87720z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago i made unsuccessful attempt to completely replace imagemagick with graphicsmagick[imagemagick], unless discovered direct dependencies on IM in some packages. There is similar actual problem, but with some ebuilds, depending directly on media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit instead of virtual/jack. As for jack issue, while moving to virtual/jack in progress, working solution here is to just write media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit into packages.provided.

I think, i'm ready to do same for imagemagick, but i'm not sure, is it good idea. I have seen bug report for GM:
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2017/09/06/graphicsmagick-memory-allocation-failure-in-magickmalloc-memory-c-2/

Does anyone know better, how IM and GM are compared by stability?
Is it ok to just replace IM with GM (of course, with later recompilation of all dependents)?
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick, see a couple posts up. According to the dev, 2/3 of the dependencies are for libraries, which don't match between IM and GM at all. So I don't think you could completely remove IM from your system.
nick87720z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i did not even notice that, sorry. Thanks for reply.
Quote:
Only 1/3 of the reverse dependencies use the tools, rest use the libraries which don't match at all.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: GraphicsMagick conflicts with ImageMagick? Reply with quote

sgarcia wrote:
The current GraphicsMagick page says, "GM does not does not conflict with other installed software." That's pretty vague, but it supports the notion that they should be able to coexist.

ImageMagick installs binaries like mogrify, convert, etc., but with GraphicsMagick, there is just one binary, "gm" and you run the same commands with that as a prefix.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: