Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is it possible to compile a stage for another arch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Is it possible to compile a stage for another arch? Reply with quote

Hi, I want to create a Stage1 for my mips sgi from my pc with an athlon-xp.
How to? do I have to download a stage1-x86 and emerge it with other cflags et chost for mips?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuts,

You need crossdev to make you a cross compiler toolchain.
I don't know if it supports mips though.
Code:
emerge crossdev
then read its man page

Take care emerging things for another arch in case they get installed. Consider the effects of installing a mips glibc on your athlon-xp.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if it will work as aspected
personally i use native compiling (i do native compile for mips, mipsel, ppc, arm, hppa1, hppa2)

about cross compiling, i only trust the bitbake method, which is using qemu to native compile under a virtual machine
look for openembedded bitbake
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wanna get Stage1 sources, and make it from an Athlon-xp PC and then uses this stage on my octane.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd better compile ONLY on your octane, as i do

anyway: why stage1 ? if you really want to do so, look for catalist, which is the gentoo tool for build stage: it needs just a good tool chain in order to build stage1,2,3

p.s.
which kernel are you using on your ip30 ?
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have two computers: a PC with ArchLinux and my octane.
I tried to use stage1 and stage3 2008.0, but it doesn't work with my version of netboot. But after some searches, I use now a netbootable 2.6.19 kernel and 2008.0 works on it (no trouble with rm find...)

I wanted start with stage3, but I wasnot able to complie a newer kernel like 2.6.27 (the older kernel for gentoo 10.0) and some packages, So I tried to make the bootstrap from a stage1 and I have troubles with gmp which it doesnot found a c++ compiler.

Only my octane compile, not my pc with a cross-compilation. So if you can give me a recent-stage that it works to install gentoo, I want it! :D

In order to I have to block an old version of udev due to the latest version of linux-headers.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

load a stage tarball (pre-made) onto the mips box. Build a cross compiler on your faster machine. Set up distcc, compile "natively" on the mips box.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can setup a distcc on ArchLinux but I didn't find how to set a cross-compiller
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuts wrote:
give me a recent-stage

i can provide it (cause i am used to update my stage3), but i need an ftp account or something similar where to upload ... umm 200-300Mb at least

p.s.
the kernel side of IP30 is a problem ... i am using 2.6.19 without udev: that's pretty enough for my purposes
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the kernel from this topic:
Redhatter wrote:
Okay, it'll take a little while for me to come up with newer netboot images for SGI systems. Largely because `Kumba has been away a good few days now, and I'm not quite sure where he's stashed everything.

In the meantime... I have another solution. Download this kernel image, and with your Octane, unpack it into your / partition. It'll create a kernel in /boot, and modules in /lib/modules.

Now grab the kernel file itself, and copy that over the top of the netboot image on your TFTP server. (I do hope you are netbooting :-D) On the Octane's PROM prompt... enter the following:

Code:
>> bootp(): root=/dev/sdaX init=/bin/bash

(where sdaX is your root partition... if you're using serial console, add console=ttyS0,9600 too)

Linux will boot up, then drop to a bash prompt. The root fs will be read-only.

Code:
(Re-mount the filesystem read-write...)
# mount /dev/sdaX / -n -o rw,remount

(You should now be able to change the password ... do that now.)
# passwd

(Remount / read-only again so it can be checked for errors)
# mount /dev/sdaX / -n -o ro,remount

(Now kick off /sbin/init so the machine boots)
# exec /sbin/init

Gentoo should fire up on the system. From there, you'll be able to build yourself a new kernel.
I have already untar the stage3 and updated portage to 2.1.6.

But I have to use bootp to boot my octane. I don't know if I can found an other kernel that the octane doesn't need a netboot. Portage can give me mips-sources 2.6.27 or 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 unfortunately in the menuconfig I don't see IP30 support.
I wanna install arcload but I don't understand how to setup it.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i am also developing a new bootloader which is able to boot from {scsi, usb, sata, pata, net}
it has been designed for powerpc, and arm ... but it will be ported to mips.be/sgi, too

i have already completed the interface between "sgi mon" and "linux wrapper" (which is the part needed by kernel to properly boot)

ok

tell me if you need a kernel pretty compiled and a pretty rootfs/stage4: in case you have to provide me a ftp account or a place where to upload

regards
nuts
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need the both: kernel and stage4, I've lost a lot of hours to try installing gentoo. Maybe you can use megaupload or if you want you can go on http://dl.free.fr/ it's free but in french, you put your file in "fichier a envoyer" and choose it by the "parcourir" button and then you clic on "envoyer" button

I forget one thing, I have
/dev/sda1 /boot xfs
/dev/sda2 swap
and /dev/sda3 / xfs, will I have to change format?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: