View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: BashPad: Using bash/zsh as your Run Dialog Reply with quote

BashPad v0.5
A run dialog based on bash, released under GPL v3.
ppurka over at the May 2009 screenshot thread asked me to share this. Here's what it looks like: http://folk.ntnu.no/olechrt/2009.05.10-00:31:07-runbox.png You can style it to look like pretty much anything, including transparency, background images and anything else you terminal of choice supports. I use rxvt-unicode.

Also, ppurka's has kindly provided a zsh-version further down.

Some features:
  • All bash features such as tab completion.
  • Multi and single line mode. In single line mode, text scrolls horizontally, and tab cycles through possible completions instead of listing them.
  • If a program launched from this returns with non-zero exit status, its output is displayed in a message box.
  • Terminates after launching one command. Doesn't stick around like a regular terminal.
  • Has its own history, separate from ~/.bash_history.
  • Closes without launching anything by pressing ^C or ^D.
  • Displays working directory if it is not the user's home directory.

How to install:
  1. Fetch .runrc (right click, save target as) and put it in your home directory.
  2. Edit it, and modify the settings near the top.
  3. Open your ~/.bashrc and add source ~/.runrc anywhere. If you have a default .bashrc, you should put it after the [[ $- != *i* ]] && return line.
  4. Run your terminal like so: RUNDIALOG=1 urxvt (or xterm, if you prefer)

You may also want to emerge x11-misc/wmctrl to simplify the styling. With it, BashPad will resize itself, set itself sticky, always on top and stay off the taskbar and pager.

How to style your terminal:
I use rxvt-unicode. The method is usually very close to the same for other terminals, and there are two ways. You can either use flags (a la urxvt -bl for a borderless window), or you can set it up through ~/.Xdefaults. I use the latter method, as it makes the run command shorter and the settings easier to modify. To get a box like the one in the screenshot above, put this in your ~/.Xdefaults:
Code:
bashpad*font:          xft:Luxi Mono:style=Bold Oblique:pixelsize=20
bashpad*geometry:      90x1+150+650
bashpad*foreground:    white
bashpad*background:    black
bashpad*borderColor:   white
bashpad*saveLines:     0
bashpad*borderLess:    true
#bashpad*backgroundPixmap: ~/.run.jpg;:propscale

If you emerged wmctrl, you will probably want to set the geometry to 1x1+0+0 to avoid flicker as the window autoresizes. The geometry line given here is suitable for 1680x1050 with the given font. The numbers with + in front are position. Use - instead to count pixels from the right/bottom instead of the left/top, if you want to put something in a corner.
Use the last line if you want a background picture. Run urxvt with RUNDIALOG=1 urxvt -name bashpad to use these settings. I would recommend binding it to a keyboard shortcut. I use M-F2.

If you don't have wmctrl:
You will probably want to enable certain window hints in your window manager setup. The window hints in question are
  • Skip pager
  • Skip taskbar
  • Above

For example, in compiz, you can use the window rule name=bashpad in Window Rules inside CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm). You can also set non movable, non resizable, non minimizable and non maximizable if you wish.

Troubleshooting:
Problem: It is taking up too much memory!
Solution: When I started this, I was surprised to find how much memory terminal windows need (see discussion below). If you ever use more than one terminal window, using urxvt is a good solution. Start urxvtd on session startup, and use urxvtc as your terminal. This will dramatically reduce the memory usage of new terminal windows.

Problem: I can't give the window focus!
Solution: There is a bug that causes borderless urxvt-windows to be unable to receive focus in some window managers. If you have this problem, you will have to comment out the borderLess line in your ~/.Xdefaults file. You can probably still make the window borderless through your window manager.
  • Compiz: Open CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm) and enable it in Window Decoration (set decoration windows to !(name=bashpad)).
  • Fluxbox: Check out livibetter's post further down.

Edit 1: The explanation of how to make windows borderless in compiz was plain wrong. Fixed now.
Edit 2: Project renamed, due to a namespace collision.
Edit 3: Updated with new version, cleaned up the post a bit.

Last edited by pianosaurus on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:20 am; edited 10 times in total
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Firebox: Using bash (and probably others) as your Run Di Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
Compiz users: There is a bug (in <=0.7.8 at least) that causes borderless windows to be unable to receive focus. You will have to comment out the borderLess line above. You can still make it borderless by opening CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm) and enable it in window rules.
You are sure that is a compiz bug and not a urxvt bug? Reference: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=237271
FYI, I have seen this bug happen even in e17 (without compiz).
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Firebox: Using bash (and probably others) as your Run Di Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Cuber wrote:
Compiz users: There is a bug (in <=0.7.8 at least) that causes borderless windows to be unable to receive focus. You will have to comment out the borderLess line above. You can still make it borderless by opening CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm) and enable it in window rules.
You are sure that is a compiz bug and not a urxvt bug? Reference: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=237271
FYI, I have seen this bug happen even in e17 (without compiz).

Then it is probably in urxvt. It is very easy for an application to request a borderless window, so I just assumed the problem wasn't in urxvt. Will fix the text now. Thank you.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug around a bit, and found that the window decoration issue isn't actually a bug at all. Compiz (and others) simply doesn't support all the motif hints. It does support the one for borderless windows, but as it doesn't support all the others, it doesn't set the _MOTIF_WM_INFO hint. Rxvt-unicode correctly checks for this before attempting to set its borderless hint. At least that is the correct thing to do based on their interpretation of the purpose of _MOTIF_WM_INFO. It is probably easiest to fix this in compiz (and other WMs). Or gentoo could put the urxvt-patch that fixes this back into the ebuild. It was removed for some reason.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Unsupported Software.

It's software (scripts qualify for that :) ), and it's not in portage, so moved here. In Gentoo Chat it will soon be forgotten. I think that here it will get a better chance.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea, but I got few things I noticed:
1) I can't run with `bashpad*borderLess: true ` on FluxBox, it cause no focus on bashpad. I guess this is FluxBox-only problem, or there is a setting can avoid it, but I don't know.
2)
The memory usage isn't small, mostly used by the terminal, Bash only uses 2MB on my system.
Code:
13789 livibett  20   0 67892  6944  3996 S  0.0  0.3  0:00.11  |           |   `- urxvt -name bashpad
13790 livibett  20   0 19496  2012  1540 S  0.0  0.1  0:00.02  |           |       `- bash

And for gmrun
Code:
14120 livibett  20   0  106M  7812  6308 S  0.0  0.4  0:00.04  |           |   `- gmrun

3) When runs, gimp as example, it results:
Code:
14448 livibett  20   0 19496   756   280 S  0.0  0.0  0:00.00  `- bash
14449 livibett  20   0 19496   860   380 S  0.0  0.0  0:00.00  |   `- bash
14450 livibett  20   0  207M 47516 13216 S  0.0  2.3  0:01.98  |       `- gimp

I think these two bash should not be executed.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
In Gentoo Chat it will soon be forgotten. I think that here it will get a better chance.

Ok, thanks.

livibetter wrote:
I think this is a good idea, but I got few things I noticed:
1) I can't run with `bashpad*borderLess: true ` on FluxBox, it cause no focus on bashpad. I guess this is FluxBox-only problem, or there is a setting can avoid it, but I don't know.

No, this problem is not FluxBox only (unfortunately), and is described in my post (near the bottom).

livibetter wrote:
2)
The memory usage isn't small, mostly used by the terminal, Bash only uses 2MB on my system.
Code:
13789 livibett  20   0 67892  6944  3996 S  0.0  0.3  0:00.11  |           |   `- urxvt -name bashpad
13790 livibett  20   0 19496  2012  1540 S  0.0  0.1  0:00.02  |           |       `- bash

I guess urxvt is a bit heavy for this use. You could do exactly the same with xterm if you prefer. You can't style it as much as urxvt, but for a box like the one in my screenshot it will do fine. It requires a lot less resources. Also, urxvt can be run as a daemon to save resources and speed up launch. I haven't tried this, so I don't know how effective it is.

Also, gmrun didn't do much better in total. They are transient windows, so I'd care more about speed than memory usage.

livibetter wrote:
3) When runs, gimp as example, it results:
Code:
14448 livibett  20   0 19496   756   280 S  0.0  0.0  0:00.00  `- bash
14449 livibett  20   0 19496   860   380 S  0.0  0.0  0:00.00  |   `- bash
14450 livibett  20   0  207M 47516 13216 S  0.0  2.3  0:01.98  |       `- gimp

This is because of the runwatch. Disabling it will remove both bash processes. Runwatch is a bash function, so running it spawn another shell. I will see if I can get rid of one of them.

Thank you for trying it out. I'll post again if I manage to address your issues.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livibetter wrote:

This has now been solved. There will only be one bash now, and only if runwatch is enabled.

Turns out I was pretty much wrong about xterm. At least here it has even more memory allocated than urxvt. I'll let you know if I stumble across some way of lowering the memory consumption.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
Turns out I was pretty much wrong about xterm. At least here it has even more memory allocated than urxvt. I'll let you know if I stumble across some way of lowering the memory consumption.

I think I found one, aterm. It only uses 2.7MB, but it doesn't support Xft. Here is my .Xdefaults:
Code:
bashpad*inheritPixmap:   false
bashpad*font: -adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--25-180-100-100-m-150-iso8859-1
#bashpad*font:      xft:Luxi Mono:style=Bold Oblique:pixelsize=20
bashpad*geometry:   90x1+150+650
bashpad*foreground:   white
bashpad*background:   black
bashpad*borderColor:   white
bashpad*scrollBar: false
bashpad*borderLess:   true
#bashpad*backgroundPixmap:   ~/.run.jpg;:propscale

By the way, it works with borderLess. But it really doesn't have border, not like urxvt still rendering white border.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livibetter wrote:
By the way, it works with borderLess. But it really doesn't have border, not like urxvt still rendering white border.

The border urxvt and xterm renders is because of the bashpad*borderColor: white in your .Xdefaults. According to the man page, aterm supports it too. I suspect it simply has a default borderwidth of 0. Try adding something like bashpad*borderWidth: 2 and see if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately, aterm doesn't seem to support utf-8, so it is out of the question for me. It should be fine for anyone on strict ANSI systems, though.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
livibetter wrote:

The border urxvt and xterm renders is because of the bashpad*borderColor: white in your .Xdefaults. According to the man page, aterm supports it too. I suspect it simply has a default borderwidth of 0. Try adding something like bashpad*borderWidth: 2 and see if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately, aterm doesn't seem to support utf-8, so it is out of the question for me. It should be fine for anyone on strict ANSI systems, though.

aterm might be lighter if you only use one terminal. But if you have many of them open at the same time urxvt beats them all. Remember that it can be daemonized (urxvtd), then you just launch urxvtc instead of urxvt. The result is a full blown terminal with every imaginable feature at almost zero cost in terms of ram usage.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
livibetter wrote:

It doesn't work... weird. I also try running it directly with the options, but still nothing.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
aterm might be lighter if you only use one terminal. But if you have many of them open at the same time urxvt beats them all. Remember that it can be daemonized (urxvtd), then you just launch urxvtc instead of urxvt. The result is a full blown terminal with every imaginable feature at almost zero cost in terms of ram usage.

Amen. I mentioned this earlier. Just for comparison, I just started the daemon. It alone required 6 Mb. I then launched seven client windows, for a total of 7,5 Mb. If you use more than one terminal at a time, a daemonised urxvt is the way to go.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. On my system, it's 8MB. Though I only have one window at most of time, but I think I can live with that.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the no focus problem, I found the resolution on FluxBox, put these into ~/.fluxbox/apps
Code:
[app] (title=bashpad)
  [Position]    (WINCENTER) {0 0}
  [Layer]   {2}
  [Deco]    {NONE}
  # [Deco]    {BORDER} also works
[end]

This works on my system. It also relocates the window and sets the window on top over everything.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version out now.

Code:
# Changes in v0.3
#  - Use Alt+Enter to invert default runwatch choice.

livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
New version out now.

Code:
# Changes in v0.3
#  - Use Alt+Enter to invert default runwatch choice.

Just tried, works perfectly! Nice new feature! :)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: zsh version of bashpad Reply with quote

Cuber: This is a very nice script you have.

I struggled a bit to get a zsh port working :P Have been partially successful. The runrc for zsh shell users can be got here:
http://ppurka.googlepages.com/runrc

The above was runrc-0.3. To get runrc-0.5 (corresponds to bashpad-0.5) use the following link:
http://sites.google.com/site/ppurka/runrc-0.5

Though, personally, I am biased towards your first version of the script since it does not create temporary files, I have kept this zsh port similar to the v0.3 of your bashpad.

Salient points:
  • Of course, first of all credits goes to Cuber for giving us the bash version and also hinting at how to get a zsh version working :D
  • This differs from the bashpad runrc in a couple of ways. All the differences are noted at the beginning of the file.
  • ^C does not close the terminal for me, even when I use bindkeys to bind the ^C. It seems zsh somehow never gets that ^C character
  • I don't know how to make zsh not show the menu during completion via <tab>.
    Following comment is no longer valid: Hence, at present I would recommend that a terminal with about 3-4 lines be used with this version, so that you can at least get to see the (really nice ;) ) menu.
  • It is of course possible to run a 1-line terminal, but you would have to press <tab> twice to get the first completion. Now only a single tab works just fine.

Example Usage:
Download the runrc file.
Tweak it in the settings portion if needed.
Copy the file to ~/.config/.zshrc (You can copy the file as .zshrc to *any* directory, except $HOME,- you will need to change the ZDOTDIR variable accordingly)
Launch the terminal as:
Code:
ZDOTDIR=~/.config urxvtc -geometry 80x3

EDIT: If you want my zshrc, it can be found here: http://ppurka.googlepages.com/zshrc
EDIT 2: Added Example usage
EDIT 3: [ May 25 ] Updated above text. Updates are in blue color.
EDIT 4:[Aug 14, 2010] Added link to runrc-0.5

Last edited by ppurka on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on zsh port of runrc:
Two changes:
  • Now, tab completion completes starting from the first <tab>. So, 1-line terminals are (more) usable now :)
  • I noticed that zsh disables RPROMPT if the terminal has less than 3 lines. So, I reverted the RPROMPT settings and have instead gone back to a zsh version of Cuber's bash prompt.

The new version can be downloaded from the same place: http://ppurka.googlepages.com/runrc
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on the zsh port, there! I updated the title and first post with a notification.

I may try to get rid of those temporary files some time. I don't like them either, and I have an idea on how to do it. It was originally done to get rid of the sub-shell and lower the overhead.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version!
Code:
# Changes in v0.4
#  - Duplicates are no longer saved in the history.
#  - Added optional window settings on startup through wmctrl:
#      * Resize.
#      * Properties (sticky, skip_pager, skip_taskbar and above).
#      * Modality (not supported by all WMs).
#  - Fixed for people using the noclobber bash option.

Any help testing it out would be greatly appreciated. Particularly, I'd be interested to know what WMs support modality. Compiz does not, apparently.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pianosaurus wrote:
New version!
[code]# Changes in v0.4
# - Added optional window settings on startup through wmctrl:
# * Resize.

Any help testing it out would be greatly appreciated. Particularly, I'd be interested to know what WMs support modality. Compiz does not, apparently.

It resizes to be only 1pixel height (line 107), that can't be right, can it?
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livibetter wrote:
pianosaurus wrote:
New version!
[code]# Changes in v0.4
# - Added optional window settings on startup through wmctrl:
# * Resize.

No. But I can see why. What terminal are you using? And are you still in fluxbox? I set it to 1 pixel height in my code, because I assumed all window managers would scale the window up to it's hinted minimum size. I'll look into it.
livibetter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pianosaurus wrote:
livibetter wrote:

No. But I can see why. What terminal are you using? And are you still in fluxbox? I set it to 1 pixel height in my code, because I assumed all window managers would scale the window up to it's hinted minimum size. I'll look into it.

urxvt, yes still in fluxbox.

According to `man wmctrl`
Quote:
... and w,h is the width and height of the window, with the exception that the value of -1 in any position is interpreted to mean that the current geometry value should not be modified.

Line 107 should be HEIGHT=-1, and it does work for me.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livibetter wrote:
Line 107 should be HEIGHT=-1, and it does work for me.

No, I think you may be misunderstanding the autoresize feature. If you don't want the autoresize, you should choose so in the settings (AUTOWINSIZE=0). Make sure you go through the settings in this new version. There are several new ones.

The only reason HEIGHT=-1 works for you is because you have set the height you want elsewhere (probably in ~/.Xdefaults). The point of AUTOWINSIZE is that you shouldn't have to calculate a fitting size or position yourself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: