What is the QA team for PPC doing?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: What is the QA team for PPC doing? Reply with quote

Some time ago, actually not too long, I asked what the heck the developers are thinking masking package version without providing stable replacements. One of the "developers" tried to be not helpful, so I just removed Amarok in that case.

Now, here we go again:

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-java/icedtea6-bin" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.6.2-r2 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
- dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.6.2-r1 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
- dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.6.2 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)

(dependency required by "virtual/jdk-1.6.0" [installed])
(dependency required by "dev-libs/beecrypt-4.1.2-r1" [installed])
(dependency required by "app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r6" [installed])
(dependency required by "world" [argument])

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Given that all the mentioned packages are installed, Portage expects me now to update to the icedtea binary package? Only that there is no icedtead-bin package available for ppc, but only for x86 and amd64 platforms. Good one!

Thomas
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why this is not working for you, but trying to remerge virtual/jdk:1.6 should pull in a jdk package that is keyworded ppc, such as =dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0*.
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac ~ # emerge -p virtual/jdk:1.6

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-java/icedtea6-bin" have been masked.
- dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.6.2-r2 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
- dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.6.2-r1 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
- dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.6.2 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)

(dependency required by "virtual/jdk-1.6.0" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "virtual/jdk:1.6" [argument])

gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this some time ago and it was my fault by keywording sth. that was marked -ppc.
A dep of that package did then pull in the icedtea dep, i cannot remember which package it was though ... maybe the same is hapenning to you ?

cheers
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gringo wrote:
i had this some time ago and it was my fault by keywording sth. that was marked -ppc.
A dep of that package did then pull in the icedtea dep, i cannot remember which package it was though ... maybe the same is hapenning to you ?
cheers

Sorry, don't buy that. Nothing in the selection of software packages changed, just an update was to be done when the problem described came up. How can that then affect the selection of a Java package??? And why is that not caught in QA?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about emerge -a1 dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin:1.6
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
What about emerge -a1 dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin:1.6

Interesting! This one actually asked me about the license:

Code:
mac ~ # emerge -a1 dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin:1.6

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin:1.6" have been masked.
- dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.7 (masked by: IBM-J1.6 license(s))
A copy of the 'IBM-J1.6' license is located at '/usr/portage/licenses/IBM-J1.6'.

- dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.6 (masked by: IBM-J1.6 license(s))

So after I added the ACCEPT_LICENSE keyword to /etc/make.conf (not described in the output, I had to search on the web for some time), everything is back to normal. So again the question:

If such fundamental changes are made - BTW: I had the JDK which got installed already installed! - why is there no additional information in the output which guides me to do the right thing? In this case add the ACCEPT_LICENSE keyword to the /etc/make.conf file. Is it expected by the QA team that Gentoo users spend their time asking on the forum everytime something like this happens? The current output could have not been farther away from the real issue. A simple explanation would have done.

Anyway, thanks to yngwin for the pointer, although without explanation. :)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ato wrote:
Is it expected by the QA team that Gentoo users spend their time asking on the forum everytime something like this happens?

Is it expected that users respect free time QA team and others dev spend in gentoo ? And i do hope they don't come in forum to see someone saying something like this about their work & effort !
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Ato wrote:
Is it expected by the QA team that Gentoo users spend their time asking on the forum everytime something like this happens?

Is it expected that users respect free time QA team and others dev spend in gentoo ? And i do hope they don't come in forum to see someone saying something like this about their work & effort !

I hope I understand you correct: "It is free so don't complain."

That people spend their spare time on Gentoo does not mean that there is no room for improvement and criticism on the quality of the process is inappropriate. The issue mentioned should be addressed because it displays two basic problems:
1. Misleading output that is not helpful to solve a problem. The user has not the proper information to help himself.
2. Tests did not uncover the problem beforehand. This might be based on wrong assumptions in the test.

All of this has nothing to do with how much good will and hours people are spending, but it shows a problem in the testing and/or QA process. The easier it is for a user to help himself, the happier the user will be and the more positive it will reflect on the distribution. Thanks for the comment and encouraging me to explain my critique.
bmaass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ato, I understand the Gentoo PPC team is very low on manpower and could use a helping hand even more than criticism, however constructive it may be. The fact that nobody noticed the JDK problem may be a hint that nobody else really uses Java on PPC, so you may actually have more expertise than others here?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you're annoyed, but this is not the PowerPC team's fault, the IBM JDK requires a license for it to be included in the world update, otherwise, it's ignored. How should we tell the user that they may be interested in this package if the user has specified in their configuration that they're not interested in the package? :p Besides, at the time that the Java packages were marked stable, the version of portage that was stable did not include this check. It's only because portage-2.1.17.16 went stable on the 24th that this issue was brought to light.

In any case, perhaps I should have put a notice on the forums, I accept that it's my fault and that I should have warned users of the change. However, your method of getting help was inconsiderate and rude.

With regards to the Amarok situation, as I explained in the forum post here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-809461.html and in the related bug, we were aware of the inconvenience, but since the package didn't build on my machine, there wasn't much I could do about it due to a lack of time. It will get fixed when someone has the time and patience to help fix the problem.

Browbeating the few people who do actually care about the platform isn't going to help anything. I've only worked on Gentoo/PowerPC because it interests me and I have a desire to keep the port active. I do what I can to keep things working and it's unfortunately not going to get much better than that. Sorry. If you do have further complaints about our work, please try to maintain a more civil attitude and work with us to fix the problem.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose,

I just wanted to thank you for keeping this branch of Gentoo alive- it's helping me see that the software I run on this Powerbook G4 is properly patched and maintained (which is more than I can say about Apple!)

Regards,
Bertaboy
randalf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a lot of respect that people spend their time for Gentoo-PPC - i was using gentoo for about four years on my powerbook G4 - but now i have to admit that i am more and more disappointed about how some software has been removed with no stable replacement.
For example - there is no stable ebuild for K3b and both available versions (~)1.69.0_alpha4 (~)1.70.0_beta1 are crashing and unusable for me.
Furthermore there is still no openoffice-bin package available for PPC and that really hurts because who wants to compile such a big pile of software every two weeks because of an upgraded dependency.
I still love Gentoo and would like to install it on a faster x86 machine but not again on an old PPC, perhaps i give a try to Debian-PPC.
Don't get me wrong - i dont blame any Developper for that, but as everbody can see at the PPC-forumfrequency here - there are not many gentoo users on the PPC-Platform, this PC-Hardware is getting a dinosaur and one day it will be disappeard from Desktopcomputers. I would just not expect to much development here.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bertaboy, but I'm really not fishing for thanks. :)

Randalf:
k3b is in the same boat as Amarok. QT3/KDE3 was removed from the tree against the PPC team's wishes. While I understand the KDE team's position, issues like this still show that it wasn't handled very well. That said, if you're having problems with k3b, even in unstable, please file a bug. If you don't tell us about problems, they won't get fixed.

As for an openoffice-bin, since upstream does not provide pre-built packages for PowerPC, we don't either. If you really don't want to compile it yourself, perhaps you can find someone else who can prepare a binary package for you. Or you can cross-compile it on another machine.

Again, I welcome anyone with issues to *please* file bugs and let us know when you're having issues. My packages that I use are probably different from yours, even just letting us know where problems are can help.

I've been pretty busy studying for my PhD exams these past few weeks, but I'll have some time in the next few weeks to try and work out the issues with Amarok and K3B (if there is actually a problem). If there is anything else that someone actually uses and wants the PowerPC team to look at, please let us know, otherwise I'm just going to work on whatever I feel like.
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to show at least some good will - yes, I really do care although I complain a lot -, have a look at my binary packages: https://www.senmut.net/~thomas/Private/Soft/Gentoo/packages/. You need to accept the private certificate in order to be able to access the webpage unless you know how to circumvent the https protocol. 8) Everything is compiled for G4 with the settings at https://www.senmut.net/~thomas/Wiki/index.php?n=Thomas.Gentoo#toc4.

I hope this helps. Cheers,
Thomas

PS Edited on 2011-02-24: changed the domain.

Last edited by Ato on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a fresh install on my G4 mac mini, and then run
Code:

emerge -eD world

Everything builds except ibm-jdk-bin, which requires a download. After following the download instructions and then running
Code:

emerge --resume

I get the following message
Code:

* One or more packages are either masked or have missing dependencies:
 *   =virtual/jdk-1.6.0* pulled in by:
 *     (virtual/jre-1.6.0, installed)
 *   =virtual/jdk-1.6.0* pulled in by:
 *     (virtual/jre-1.6.0, installed)
 * The resume list contains packages that are either masked or have
 * unsatisfied dependencies. Please restart/continue the operation
 * manually, or use --skipfirst to skip the first package in the list and
 * any other packages that may be masked or have missing dependencies.

Can someone explain what this means and what I need to do next?
Ato
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsala wrote:
Code:
emerge --resume

Can someone explain what this means and what I need to do next?

I am not sure if I remember it correctly, but I believe the resume mechanism did not work in this case. You would have to install it again. But I really might be wrong, so others should confirm.

Cheers,
T.
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured out that the file downloaded from ibm is not checksumming. It must have changed since the the ebuild was assembled. Anybody know how to fix it? I've already downloaded it three times now and I blew away the ebuild and re-synced -- still no luck.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that IBM has replaced the binary while keeping the same file name. It would not be the first time they have done this. Make sure that the file is the right size, and placed in /usr/portage/distfiles after you have downloaded it. Also, make sure that you have downloaded the right version (JDK instead of JRE, etc.) and that you downloaded the right version for your machine. If you have insured that the file is not corrupt and the MD5 sums do not match and that it's the right file, you can use the ebuild command to "digest" the ebuild, which will regenerate the checksums using the files currently on your machine.
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, running ebuild worked thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: