View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: /etc/init.d/hald does not exist Reply with quote

Hi I'm following the x server install guide http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml#using_hal . When I try /etc/init.d/hald start the system respond that hald does not exist. I checked the directory /etc/init.d/ and of course it is not there.

What am I missing? Was I suppose to configure this in the kernel? What should I do?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What profile are you using. With desktop profile hal USE flag should be set for you and HAL pulled in as a result when you rebuilt your system after install.

eselect profile list
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that profile I am using. I just have a base system. I am just following the guide I posted above, I already finished the gentoo installation handbook a while ago finally had some time to work on this box. It's going to be a carputer so it should be desktop (not server obviously)

Does hald need to be emerged first? It doesn't even mention it in the x server guide. The guide assumes it's on your system already, did I skip another (previous) guide accidentially?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs227,

Not everything is in Handbook, lots of things are left for common sense. This is why first-time Gentoo installer should have some previous Linux experience.
robs227 wrote:
I don't know that profile I am using.
Code:

eselect profile list

robs227 wrote:
Does hald need to be emerged first?

When you install the base system you set your profile, set up your make.conf and do emerge -e system, preferably twice. At this point everything required for your profile gets pulled in, like HAL for desktop.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you need EVDEV support in your kernel, check like this:
Code:
# grep EVDEV /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y

And you need evdev in /etc/make.conf, like this:
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"

BTW if your profile isn't 10.0 desktop, then you can set it like this:
Code:
eselect profile set <number of desktop profile>

:arrow: And, new to GNU/Linux, new to Gentoo? A must read here.
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you two so much. It looks like this was exactly the information I needed. Strangely, I went through the install handbook and found the section on profiles. For some reason I just went with the default even though I knew it was a desktop.

Yeah the x server mentioned setting evdev in the kernel. I checked through make menuconfig but that command is way more useful I will double check with it.

I definitely put it in make.conf. Once again thanks so much for the prompt response.

BTW: I have a little experience with Ubuntu but didn't like it because everything was handed to me without any work on my part, therefore I didn't learn much at all. Where as here I am learning alot as I go. Sorry if it seems if I lack common sense but I am doing my best. Thanks again.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. :)

I read in some magazine that one learns more about GNU/Linux in 3 months on Gentoo, than in 3 years on most other GNU/Linux distros. That is probably an understatement.

FYI, there are just a few Gentoo docs here.

If you run into any more issues, just post. Someone here will assist you.
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike. Since there are 136 packages being installed, it looks as if I will have plenty of time to read up. :D I will definitely read Linux Sea and the other docs you posted.
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I
Code:
eselect profile set

Then I
Code:
emerge -e system

Then I checked /etc/init.d and hald is still not there. What am I missing?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you set your profile, did you set it to the 10.0/desktop profile? If yes, when you run an `emerge -DuN world`hal will be pulled in, unless you explicitly set "-hal" in your USE flags.

After your changes, is hal emerged on your system?
Code:
emerge -pv hal
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
When you set your profile, did you set it to the 10.0/desktop profile? If yes, when you run an `emerge -DuN world`hal will be pulled in, unless you explicitly set "-hal" in your USE flags.

After your changes, is hal emerged on your system?
Code:
emerge -pv hal

Yes I set is as 10.0/desktop
I didn't know that I was suppose to run "emerge -DuN world" I will do that. And of course I will not be using -hal

On another note, was I suppose to add hal as a USE flag in make.conf, as well?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs227 wrote:
I didn't know that I was suppose to run "emerge -DuN world" I will do that. And of course I will not be using -hal

The "Du" will update all packages in in your world file along with their dependencies. The "N" will add all packages with changed USE flags to the list.

robs227 wrote:
On another note, was I suppose to add hal as a USE flag in make.conf, as well?
I do, but it isn't necessary since +hal is in the desktop profile.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the output of emerge --info

If hal is listed in the USE section, then it's enabled.

The hal USE flags isn't picked up by emerge -e system because nothing in system depends on hal.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, maybe he should try this instead :

Code:

# emerge -auDNv world
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like sort of a jerk because I didn't notice the sections in the handbook right after the final installation section: Working with Gentoo. It is nery clear about using emerge to update your system. Emerge -DuN world is discussed. although its written in full i.e.: --update --deep --newuse. Check the man page for emerge to confirm this and also learned about d2_racings suggestion for --ask and --verbose.H

I'm happy to report that hald is now listed. I updated the config files in etc w/ etc-update. It looks like I can go back to following the x server guide.

I won't need to remerge xorg-server because of my actions with
Code:
emerge --newuse world
correct?
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but emerge --deep --newuse --update --ask --verbose world
or in shorthand emerge -uDNav world is more complete.

It's always a very good idea to follow up a world update with revdep-rebuild (from the app-portage/gentoolkit package). :wink:
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I also do a revdep-rebuild with the gentoolkit, the documentation highly recommend that tool kit as well.

So I do have some good news. I did run startx it worked to the extent that the mouse keyboard and monitor work. I also edited the policy file for X to add back in ctrl+alt+backspace. Then I restarted hald. Then ran startx. Then I killed x by ctrl+alt+backspace.

After I did this it sent me back into the console but my cursor in the console changed into a fat "X". What is the deal with that? 8O
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that sounds strange, is the console screen resolution changed from what it was?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does ctrl-alt-f1 take you back to the console?
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hunt wrote:
Hmmm, that sounds strange, is the console screen resolution changed from what it was?

No the resolution remains the same. The only things that appears to be different is the cursor. Its the same in other consoles

Quote:

ctrl+alt+f1 freezes the system up completely, can't ctrl+alt+delete or backspace. I'm left with what appear to the remanence of application windows and black background, but they are broken into 2mm high hortizontal lines.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs227 wrote:
Quote:

ctrl+alt+f1 freezes the system up completely, can't ctrl+alt+delete or backspace. I'm left with what appear to the remanence of application windows and black background, but they are broken into 2mm high hortizontal lines.
Do you have an Intel card, and are you using kernel mode setting? That happens to me on my system when using KMS. Best bet is to disable it and recompile your kernel.

If you are unsure run this command:
Code:
$ grep KMS /usr/src/linux/.config
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
Do you have an Intel card, and are you using kernel mode setting? That happens to me on my system when using KMS. Best bet is to disable it and recompile your kernel.

If you are unsure run this command:
Code:
$ grep KMS /usr/src/linux/.config

No intel card. The machine is an EPIA cn10000eg http://www.mini-box.com/VIA-EPIA .

I ran the grep command the result says that KMS is not set.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs227 wrote:

No intel card. The machine is an EPIA cn10000eg http://www.mini-box.com/VIA-EPIA .

I ran the grep command the result says that KMS is not set.
Hmm... are you using uvesafb or some type of bootsplash? You might want to try disabling it in your grub.conf as a test.

Can you also post the output from `lspci`, and while you are at it your /etc/make.conf?
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not using a bootsplash and I am not using uvesafb because I configured the kernel by hand and wasn't told to do that in the guide and since it wasn't needed to support my hardware. I would be happy to check if it is in grub.conf. I realize that ot is in /boot which doesn't mount once I'm past boot. Even though I set it to mount in fstab. So I tried to "mount /boot" manually, but I am given an error "mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext2'" which makes absolutely no sense. But explains why it doesn't stay mounted once I'm in the system. How do I not have support for ext2, I followed the guide? :x
edit: I guess I didn't add support for ext2 in the kernel, but for what ever reason the guide didn't mention this, yes common sense now that I think about it but its easy to overlook, won't be screwing that up again.

Until I can mount /boot I haven't a clue how look at grub.conf let alone modify

I'd be happy to post output from lspci and /etc/make.conf. Unfortunately, I know how to put the output in a text file but cannot figure out how to copy the text into a clipboard and post on the forum. I'm pretty disabled without a GUI. Amazingly posting command output is not mentioned in the FAQ, at least I cannot find it. I can't even find it on google

Reconfiguring the kernel for ext2 support. Had to be done anyway :wink: In the meantime, I'll continue to try to figure out a way to post output on the forum without a gui. If there is something obvious I'm missing please point me to it. Again thanks to everyone who's help out. Reading Linux Sea, thanks again for that Mike
robs227
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I recompiled the kernel with ext2 and then cp the bzImage over to my /boot/(my kernel). Then I restarted the machine. And I still do not have ext2 file support? How is that possible. I am positive I copied the image over to the correct kernel file, I tabbed to make sure. But when I see the kernel loading at startup I still see /boot failing to mount. I can't manually mount it either with

Code:
mount /boot
either, it says I still don't have ext2 support. Why?

On another note, I am a little unclear why it is that I can see /boot directory in the first place if that partition is supposedly not mounted. i suppose the partition is mounted inside /boot and that is why I see a link called /boot/boot?

edit: I think my manual code above is incorrect anyway but that doesn't take away from the fact that my system doesnt think I have ext2 file support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: