vanilla-sources-2.6.33_rc4 & nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: vanilla-sources-2.6.33_rc4 & nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1 Reply with quote

I wanted to switch my laptop's root partition from ext4 to btrfs to improve its SSD's lifespan. To avoid any issues with an old btrfs implementation, I emerged the latest vanilla-sources, configured them, built them and proceeded to emerge nvidia-drivers. Unfortunately, it seems that nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1 is not compatible with vanilla-sources-2.6.33_rc4. Here is the build log:

Quote:
* Determining the location of the kernel source code
* Found kernel source directory:
* /usr/src/linux
* Found kernel object directory:
* /lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/build
* Found sources for kernel version:
* 2.6.33-rc4
* Checking for MTRR support ... [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0.run to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0 ...
* Applying NVIDIA_glx-defines.patch ... [ ok ]
* Applying NVIDIA_glx-glheader.patch ... [ ok ]
* Converting NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0/usr/src/nv/Makefile.kbuild to use M= instead of SUBDIRS= ... [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0 ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0 ...
* Preparing nvidia module
make -j3 HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/build HOST_CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1
* ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
* environment, line 3924: Called linux-mod_src_compile
* environment, line 2889: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* eval "emake HOSTCC=\"$(tc-getBUILD_CC)\" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS=\"$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)\" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} " || die "Unable to emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}";
* The die message:
* Unable to emake HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/build HOST_CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/temp/environment'.

A thread for an older kernel had a similar issue, so I adapted the commands it recommended running for the more current kernel version I run at the moment (gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r9) and ran them:

Code:
eselect kernel set linux-2.6.33-rc4
cd /usr/src/linux/include/
ln -s asm-generic/ asm-x86/

Unfortunately, it did not have any effect on emerge nvidia-drivers. I know this configuration is not supported, but is there any way to get it to work? I would like to switch to btrfs to increase my SSD's lifespan while having a relatively stable implementation.
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vanilla-sources-2.6.33_rc4 & nvidia-drivers-190.53-r Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
I wanted to switch my laptop's root partition from ext4 to btrfs to improve its SSD's lifespan. To avoid any issues with an old btrfs implementation, I emerged the latest vanilla-sources, configured them, built them and proceeded to emerge nvidia-drivers. Unfortunately, it seems that nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1 is not compatible with vanilla-sources-2.6.33_rc4. Here is the build log:

Quote:
* Determining the location of the kernel source code
* Found kernel source directory:
* /usr/src/linux
* Found kernel object directory:
* /lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/build
* Found sources for kernel version:
* 2.6.33-rc4
* Checking for MTRR support ... [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0.run to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0 ...
* Applying NVIDIA_glx-defines.patch ... [ ok ]
* Applying NVIDIA_glx-glheader.patch ... [ ok ]
* Converting NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0/usr/src/nv/Makefile.kbuild to use M= instead of SUBDIRS= ... [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0 ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg0 ...
* Preparing nvidia module
make -j3 HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/build HOST_CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1
* ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
* environment, line 3924: Called linux-mod_src_compile
* environment, line 2889: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* eval "emake HOSTCC=\"$(tc-getBUILD_CC)\" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS=\"$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)\" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} " || die "Unable to emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}";
* The die message:
* Unable to emake HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/build HOST_CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1/temp/environment'.

A thread for an older kernel had a similar issue, so I adapted the commands it recommended running for the more current kernel version I run at the moment (gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r9) and ran them:

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux/include/
ln -s asm-generic/ asm-x86/

Unfortunately, it did not have any effect on emerge nvidia-drivers. I know this configuration is not supported, but is there any way to get it to work? I would like to switch to btrfs to increase my SSD's lifespan while having a relatively stable implementation.

apply the following patch and you are set to go:

Index: usr/src/nv/conftest.sh
===================================================================
--- usr/src/nv/conftest.sh
+++ usr/src/nv/conftest.sh 2009-12-20 04:15:47.194130196 +0200
@@ -111,7 +111,12 @@
fi
}

-CONFTEST_PREAMBLE="#include <linux/autoconf.h>
+CONFTEST_PREAMBLE="#include <linux/version.h>
+ #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,33)
+ #include <generated/autoconf.h>
+ #else
+ #include <linux/autoconf.h>
+ #endif
#if defined(CONFIG_XEN) && \
defined(CONFIG_XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION) && !defined(__XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION__)
#define __XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION__ CONFIG_XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION
Index: usr/src/nv/nvacpi.c
===================================================================
--- usr/src/nv/nvacpi.c
+++ usr/src/nv/nvacpi.c 2009-12-20 03:48:28.497758783 +0200
@@ -49,6 +49,10 @@
};
#endif

+#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 33)
+#define acpi_walk_namespace(a,b,c,d,e,f) acpi_walk_namespace(a,b,c,d,e,f,NULL)
+#endif
+
static struct acpi_driver *nv_acpi_driver;
static acpi_handle nvif_handle = NULL;
static acpi_handle dsm_handle = NULL;
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to grab a more recent version of that from the nvnews.net forums. I could get the driver to install, but X would not start saying that it could not load the nvidia driver. Attempting to modprobe nvidia said that it could not load the driver because there was no such device. I tried this with the 190.53 drivers and the latest 195.30 driver from Nvidia and it didn't work.

Also, getting the driver to install was a pain, but I was able to do it for 195.30 with the following commands:

Code:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.30/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run
chmod 744 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run --apply-patch nvidia-195-2.6.33.patch.txt
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1-custom.run -a --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux --kernel-name=2.6.33-rc4

The patch file I used was from:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2164440&postcount=20

The commands above were my latest attempt at getting it to work. I am going to retry them with 190.53 from the official site (as opposed to portage's version) and see what happens.

Edit: I just tried it with the 190.53 drivers from nvidia's download page. They didn't work either. modprobe nvidia gives:
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.33-rc4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave it a fresh attempt and it worked. Here is what I did:

I rebooted the system into the new kernel. I then ran the following:

Code:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.30/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run
chmod 744 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run --apply-patch nvidia-195-2.6.33.patch.txt
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1-custom.run -a --kernel-name=2.6.33-rc4

It didn't work, so I did some troubleshooting. modprobe complained about not finding the driver, so I did:

Code:
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1-custom.run -a

To reinstall it and it and it worked.

A quick question. How do I tell portage that I manually installed the nvidia-drivers so it won't try to update them when I do emerge -avDuN world after emerge --sync --quiet in the future? I remember reading about that feature in portage's documentation, but I cannot seem to find it again. :/
Dr. Strangelove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupe
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all you needed after having patches and installed the nvidia-drivers was: "depmod -a" if running from the kernel for which you built the driver for or "depmod -a <kernel_version>' like 'depmod -a 2.6.33-rc4'.

You unnecessarily polluted your '/' by doing a manual install. Many files provided by nvidia-drivers ebuild will be in wrong places and something or the other will fail in future.
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
I think all you needed after having patches and installed the nvidia-drivers was: "depmod -a" if running from the kernel for which you built the driver for or "depmod -a <kernel_version>' like 'depmod -a 2.6.33-rc4'.

You unnecessarily polluted your '/' by doing a manual install. Many files provided by nvidia-drivers ebuild will be in wrong places and something or the other will fail in future.

i gave him a patch and he decided to complicate things for himself. his choice.
pengu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the driver compiles with 2.6.33-rc4-git2 but there is no 3d acc, but vdpau works.
can anybody reproduce this?

edit
eselect opengl set nvidia and restarting X fixes the 3d acc problem.
why?
earlier kernels on this system doesn't require this.
other drivers doesn't require this.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
devsk wrote:

i gave him a patch and he decided to complicate things for himself. his choice.

You said to apply the patch, but I could not figure out how to apply it without messing up portage.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel stupid now. labor_ratte's link gave me a clue on how to do things so I did some googling and figured out how to get it to work.

I uninstalled the nvidia-drivers I manually installed. I did a find / -name *nvidia* on the system to look for any stuff that the nvidia drivers might have left behind, but I could not find anything notable. I then proceeded to emerge the nvidia-drivers with the patch applied. KDE works, so I guess this means everything is fixed.

I also went through the liberty of making a nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1.ebuild.patch file, which applies this patch only for kernels newer than 2.6.31. I will submit it to Bugzilla for inclusion in Gentoo as soon as I figure out whether not there is a bug report already filed for this issue.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched the bugzilla database and I could not find an existing bug report for this issue, so I filed one myself. I also included patches to fix the issue:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=301318
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
I feel stupid now. labor_ratte's link gave me a clue on how to do things so I did some googling and figured out how to get it to work.

I uninstalled the nvidia-drivers I manually installed. I did a find / -name *nvidia* on the system to look for any stuff that the nvidia drivers might have left behind, but I could not find anything notable. I then proceeded to emerge the nvidia-drivers with the patch applied. KDE works, so I guess this means everything is fixed.

I also went through the liberty of making a nvidia-drivers-190.53-r1.ebuild.patch file, which applies this patch only for kernels newer than 2.6.31. I will submit it to Bugzilla for inclusion in Gentoo as soon as I figure out whether not there is a bug report already filed for this issue.

well next time just say you don't know how to apply a patch and everybody will be ready
to help.
the patch applies to 2.6.33 kernel.
2.6.32 kernel doesn't need any patch with nvidia-195.30.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: