Gentoo on an Eee
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Gentoo on an Eee Reply with quote

A relative just received an Asus Ee PC for Christmas (the PC 2G Surf model 700 - yuck), and I have inherited the task of "fixing" it (meaning replacing windoze with gentoo).

Some searching has turned up a few guides (unfortunately, none as good as the gentoo handbook), and I will attempt to tackle this over the next few days.

It seems like the way to do this is to create another filesystem on a desktop machine, chroot into it, build gentoo in there, and then copy gentoo to an SD card, and boot the Eee from from the SD card.

Any suggestions or pitfalls from people who have done this?

The desktop machine has 64-bit gentoo on it. Do I need to do anything special other than get a 32-bit base system inside the chroot and set a 32-bit processor in the chroot's /etc/make.conf and /etc/make.profile?

Is there any way of sharing the desktop's /usr/portage/ inside the chroot. I don't really want to make another copy (especially of the distfiles directory).

Due to the very limited space, does it make sense just to maintain the Eee's gentoo on the desktop and transfer the updates to the Eee? This would allow the removal of space hogging packages (like gcc) leaving more space on the Eee.

I have seen recommendations to use ext2 (non-journaling) to save wear on the memory and others who have recommended against it (using ext3 with journaling). Any thoughts?

Any advice on a wm? Of course, kde is out of the question. I don't care at all about eye candy or "themes." Low resource usuge (as long as it works :) ) is the highest priority.

I am sure I will have more questiions as I go through this. Thank you in advance.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory it is possible to install gentoo on the device directly it just is not very fast :wink: and bad for the flash based SSD version.

The better solution is to build the system in a chroot. To do this you can follow the installation guide nearly to the word, you just have to reallize that you don't install from a livecd but from a running linux installation. So be careful with the mounting and formatting :twisted: Just skip the installation of the boot manager for the moment. :wink:

For getting your portage tree inside the chroot do (outside of the chroot)
Code:
mount -o bind /usr/portage /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage
assuming that you mounted your chroot to /mnt/gentoo. The same is true for distfiles and /var/tmp/portage if needed.

When your done tar up the sucka and enjoy.

If you have the space on the desktop, I'd keep the chroot for updates and just sync the results with your internal drive of the EEE.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, if you have use a SSD, then make sure that you reduce the number of read/write on your disk.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate of this thread

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: