What are some front-ends that you use??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shgadwa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: What are some front-ends that you use?? Reply with quote

I think thats what they are called. Basically, if I was using something like Ubuntu... there would be a utility with a user interface for almost everything. In Gentoo, you do almost everything in the terminal. And, while thats just great... it requires a lot more knowledge, memory, and not to mention... time. I think that there are some programs which allow you to "see" what you are doing and it some cases it does the work for you, so you don't have to.

As an example, I use Wicd instead of having to start my network cards at boot. And of course, I've got lots of config tools that come with xfce. But, what else is there?

Thanks a lot!
~Shawn

EDIT:

Changed the tittle.

Last edited by shgadwa on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belikeyeshua,

this is one of most discussed topics of all times, do we need another one?
Here on Gentoo forums you'll probably find people prefer just one universal config editor, say nano which is under 200 kB over hundreds of megabytes specialized editors. CLI is an user interface, and a damn good one. Try to configure some remote computer over slow modem connection, for instance. Or fix your computer when GUI fails. Besides, GUI tools allow you edit just some common options, while with a text editor you can see and edit all of them.

Quote:
As an example, I use Wicd instead of having to start my network cards at boot.

Not very good example, Wicd has a GUI interface, but it is optional.

Master Foo Discourses on the Graphical User Interface.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, but there is a lot of differents distro for differents type of users.

Ubuntu is a great example of this : http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rbeqbj-n1Z0/Skeak1qBGyI/AAAAAAAAAeM/3k_ntrDWmOw/s1600-h/ubuntu.png

But for a Gentoo user, that kind of personal care is not for us :P
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porthole/portato for package management

for server stuff most of what you'll find will be web-based, and that's really the only area ive looked into

i dont use any of these, but have fiddled with em at one time or another:

-webmin
-phpmyadmin/phppgadmin
-postfixadmin
-phpldapadmin

you get the idea.

there are graphical frontends for things like qemu

hrmm

i mean really for an end-user, most of what you configure in gentoo will be things other distros dont *want* you fooling with, so they wont be readily exposed with graphical configuration tools - the ones where they dont mind you tweaking, dumbed-down tools are provided
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also himerge, a GUI for Portage too.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
...Here on Gentoo forums you'll probably find people prefer just one universal config editor, say nano which is under 200 kB over hundreds of megabytes specialized editors.

I hundred percent follow you !
Even on these html forms, I tend to think with the commands of my favourite editor / configurator... :?
100%...
well...
/nano/s//vi :P
shgadwa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
I know what you mean, but there is a lot of differents distro for differents type of users.

Ubuntu is a great example of this : http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rbeqbj-n1Z0/Skeak1qBGyI/AAAAAAAAAeM/3k_ntrDWmOw/s1600-h/ubuntu.png

But for a Gentoo user, that kind of personal care is not for us :P

LOL!!! Thats hilarious.

I see what you mean. I suppose that maybe working in the terminal is better... for configuration's sake. Its just that sometimes it gets frustrating, and sometimes it takes a lot of time to read up on how to do what. Then again, I'm sure that I will make my computer function the way I want it to function.

There's so many packages that have a gui that make life so much easier. I don't care too much for a gui to portage. Although it might be neat, I think its uneeded.

What I'm talking about is things like:

printing apps- I would not want to have to type in a bunch of commands every time I need to print off of a friend's computer. Plus knowing how to setup cups and all. For me, I liked the simplicity of Ubuntu's printing utilities, although I really like gentoo in a million other ways. I'll be honest though, I've yet to print out a single document from this computer. I've just not spent the time yet to read about setting up a printer.

A gui for cron- I'd much rather have something that looked better and was easier to configure, than to have to type commands in the terminal.

There was a lot of other things... but I can't seem to think of them right now.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this picture at work and it's pretty funny to see a Ubuntu box that arrive at my desk when it's not properly working :P

How can you crash an Ubuntu box ?? :P
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belikeyeshua wrote:
...A gui for...

Well you are speaking of front-ends.
There are numerous in terms of sysadmin.
The point here is to say that, since Thompson & Ritchie, you get people who just do not mind writing ls -ails or ps -efl.
In KDE3 / FreeBSD, there are front ends for managing packages.
Do you believe it is the best practice to update / install new packages when such a huge monster as KDE is running together with apache mysql php and users connected ?
shgadwa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!! A front-end. That was what I meant. I was not sure what to call it, and when I searched the forums for what I thought you'd call it... I found nothing.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a gui will never be the most powerful tool available to do everything, a gui does do a few things better. It can bring a lot of detailed information together better and easier (of course it is relative to each person's preferences) for most of us to base our decisions on. The original intent for porthole was to be a portage tree package browser, adding some ability to emerge/unmerge, modify config files all came later. That is still it's primary focus, although better emerge/unmerge interaction with portage or any package manager is on the TODO list.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: