/etc/conf.d/net: Changing interface name *and* MAC - paradox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarjar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: /etc/conf.d/net: Changing interface name *and* MAC - paradox Reply with quote

Is this possible? I want to change the MAC of one of my NICs, to, say 11:22:33:44:55:66, and at the same time rename the interface from eth*, which of course is done based on the MAC address. Chicken and the egg.
Is this possible?
In which order are mac_ethX=665544332211 and rename_112233445566=newname "executed"?

I currently have this:
Quote:

rename_001D7DC7D923="lan"
rename_00105A01EB3C="net"
config_net=( "dhcp" )
config_lan=( "192.168.1.1/24" )

... and would like to change the MAC of the net interface, and have it persistent across reboots. (Without actually rebooting now, though.)

Any advice? :)
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to rename your NIC with udev (based on the MAC at boot time), see /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Your network scripts would run after, and then you can change the MAC address.
Inodoro_Pereyra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/conf.d/net.example wrote:
# MAC changer
# To set a specific MAC address
#mac_eth0="00:11:22:33:44:55"

Add that to your /etc/conf.d/net file, remove or rename the file/content of /etc/conf.d/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules and have udev restart the network subsystem:
Code:
udevadm --trigger net

Again, rename the network interface in 70-persistent-net-rules to net.whatever and create a proper symlink: /etc/init.d/net.wathever -> /etc/init.d/net.lo.

Stop net.eth0, start net.whatever.

Theoretically, that will change your net.X to net.Y without rebooting (never tryed myself).

Also:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 hw ether AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

Changes the mac address in real time in case you didn't know that.

Cheers!

Si no fuera por C, estaríamos escribiendo programas en BASI, PASAL y OBOL.
Jarjar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it works great! Well, not so great as I'd hoped, as my end goal didn't work out... Everything I asked for here did, though. :)

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
Code:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:10:5a:aa:bb:cc", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="?*", NAME="net"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1d:7d:xx:yy:zz", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="?*", NAME="lan"

Then run
Code:

$ udevadm trigger net    # no --trigger

That should take care of device naming. Next up, MAC changing, as easy as in my initial post (see net.example for details).

/etc/conf.d/net
Code:

mac_net="00:10:5a:cc:dd:ee"

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: