Alcatel Speedtouch USB with 2.6 kernel guide [superceded]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Alcatel Speedtouch USB with 2.6 kernel guide [superceded] Reply with quote

Alcatel Speedtouch USB with 2.6 kernel guide

NOTE: This guide needs an update. Much of the information here is still valid, but if you read it then please be sure to read the remaining comments on this thread. Fortunately, someone has risen to the challenge and revisited the topic in this HOWTO. Thanks, fazto!

Those of you have one of these devices and like playing with new kernels will doubtless have been frustrated by the current situation. The speedtouch drivers in portage are the user-space versions which are sadly incompatible with the 2.6 kernel. However, I've discovered how to get the Speedtouch kernel-mode driver working in Gentoo and that's what this post is about :) Please note that I am only covering the topic as it applies to ISPs who use PPPoA (ATM), not PPPoE.

I'll be assuming that you already have the correct options for general USB support in your kernel. Now, to add support for ATM and the speedtouch module, first go to the Device Drivers > Networking support > Networking Options menu.
Code:
<M> Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M>   Classical IP over ATM (EXPERIMENTAL)

Now setup back up to the Networking support menu and enable:
Code:
<M>     PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
[ ]       PPP multilink support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[ ]       PPP filtering
<M>       PPP support for async serial ports
<M>       PPP support for sync tty ports
<M>       PPP Deflate compression
<M>       PPP BSD-Compress compression
< >       PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M>       PPP over ATM

Finally, enable this module under Device Drivers > USB support:
Code:

<M> Alcatel Speedtouch USB support

Once you have rebuilt your kernel and modules, we can move on to installing the various user-space tools we need. Important: as you will not have access to the internet until the whole procedure is complete, you may wish to perform these steps in a 2.4 kernel which is currently working with the net-dialup/speedtouch drivers, or by using an alternate Internet connection. To be on the safe side please ensure that /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to the 2.6 sources you are currently using.

Let's start with the speedtouch package. You'll need this for one file only, modem_run, which is used to upload the firmware to the device. The process of uploading the firmware must be carried out each time the USB bus is reset (for example, every time the computer is started) before the ADSL line is activated. If you like (and if you no longer wish to use a 2.4 kernel with the user-space drivers), you can make a copy of /usr/sbin/modem_run then unmerge speedtouch afterwards, remembering to put the modem_run binary back into place of course.
Code:
# emerge speedtouch

We'll be needing the ATM library because it is a pre-requisite for compiling an ATM-aware ppp.
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge linux-atm

Now it's time to grab and install my modified ppp ebuild. It includes a patch which ensures that the pppoatm.so plugin is built. Advanced users will note that they can skip the steps to create and configure a local portage overlay, if they already have one. Note: the ebuild is versioned the same as the latest version in portage at the time of writing, but with the -r1 suffix to "bump" it a little higher.
Code:
# mkdir /usr/local/portage
# echo "PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage" >> /etc/make.conf
# mkdir /usr/local/portage/net-dialup
# mkdir /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp
# cd /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp
# wget http://www.recruit2recruit.net/kerframil/ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1.ebuild
# ebuild ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1.ebuild digest
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge ppp

The next thing is to configure ppp. Backup your existing /etc/ppp/options, then replace the content with this (replacing the name and user entries as necessary according to your username):
Code:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
noauth
holdoff 4
maxfail 25
persist
asyncmap 0
lcp-echo-interval  2
lcp-echo-failure   7
name myuser@isp
user myuser@isp

plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2b3/pppoatm.so

IMPORTANT: The numbers at the end indicate the VPI/VCI values respectively. Take care to ensure that these match those used by the ATM network operated by your ISP. The above values are common for many operators in the United Kingdom and France.

If you haven't already done so you'll need to enter your username and password in the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file:
Code:
# echo "myuser@isp * password *" >> /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
# cp /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

I am not aware of any PPPoATM ADSL providers using PAP as the authentication protocol, but the above will not cause any harm.

Now let's load the Speedtouch kernel module and initialise the modem's firmware (note the use of -k to indicate that the kernel-mode driver will be used). IMPORTANT: the choice of the firmware image is absolutely critical for good performance with Speedtouch devices. I would strongly recommend that those who are not experienced with this topic use the firmware file from here. In the following examples I've assumed that this file is to be placed in the /root directory but you can put it where you like. See here for an interesting thread concerning firmware.
Code:
# modprobe speedtch
# cd /root
# wget http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/files/firmware.bin
# modem_run -k -s -f /root/firmware.bin

If all is well then your syslogger should have reported something like this (tail /var/log/everything/current for metalog, tail /var/log/messages for others):
Code:
Oct 24 23:59:40 kerfy modem_run[3327]: ADSL synchronization has been obtained
Oct 24 23:59:40 kerfy modem_run[3327]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down | 288 kbit/s up)

Now let's dial our connection:
Code:
# pppd

Check your message file again, and you should see something like:
Code:

Oct 24 23:58:13 kerfy PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Oct 24 23:58:13 kerfy pppd[3316]: PPPoATM plugin_init
Oct 24 23:58:13 kerfy pppd[3316]: PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
Oct 24 23:58:13 kerfy pppd[3316]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:0.38

If so then congratulations! Your modem is now working. You will probably want to have the speedtch module start upon each boot, and perhaps configure your system to initalise the modem too.
Code:
# echo speedtch >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
# echo "/usr/sbin/modem_run -k -s -f /root/firmware.bin" >> /etc/conf.d/local.start

A neater approach would be to make a custom init script but I have not gotten around to doing so yet. Please note that to use netfilter/iptables for firewalling on the 2.6 kernel, you must currently install the masked version of iptables (specifically iptables-1.2.8-r2):
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge iptables

As soon as a newer release of iptables is in portage you should probably no longer use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.

So, enjoy! I may follow this guide up with one for kernel 2.4 and also how to get the device working with the latest LiveCD with absolutely no issues, if there is sufficient interest.

Last edited by 474 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:06 am; edited 3 times in total
karan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: been looking around for this Reply with quote

Great guide, these modems are very popular and you guide should be invaluable to many users. :). I personally gave up on this modem, and opted to switch to the Alcatel Speedtouch Pro router. Much less hastle for the home network :) .Though I don't use this modem, I would be interested in seeing how to install this from the LiveCD. As always, your guides are always interesting to read, good job. :D
karan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: been looking around for this Reply with quote

Great guide, these modems are very popular and you guide should be invaluable to many users. :). I personally gave up on this modem, and opted to switch to the Alcatel Speedtouch Pro router. Much less hastle for the home network :) .Though I don't use this modem, I would be interested in seeing how to install this from the LiveCD. As always, your guides are very interesting to read, good job. :D
karan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: soz Reply with quote

Sorry for doubles :?
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: I've been looking around for one too! Reply with quote

Hi..
I don't own an Alcatel modem, but this guide will sure help me. I use a USR 9000 Sureconnect modem, the drivers are still being ported for 2.6 so I'm going to stick with 2.4 for now. I used to read everywhere that PPP needs a patch for ATM, I thought Gentoo had that already, there was no specific guide that I could find which would take you step by step through the procedure. Anyways, the link you provided to your ebuild does not work :( WHY!!! lol .. could you please fix it :).

Thanks
-dhalsiim
Moled
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 2.6 with the speedtouch of doom

there are easier ways than what was said above :P

ill make an ebuild later today if I have time
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: URL now fixed Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyways, the link you provided to your ebuild does not work WHY!!! lol .. could you please fix it

8O OK, it's fixed now. Sorry about that.
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post what you got and I'll try'em all. I hope one of them works. I'm gonna try kerfmala's ebuild for now :) .. yipppie DSL after all. :oops:

--dhalsiim
dreamerme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried running modem_run without "-s" and it worked. With "-s", it gives a USBDEVFS bulk error or something, and is unable to upload the microcode. It then attempts to upload it a few more times then dies. Everytime i get the USBDEVFS error, I have to unplug the USB cable for like 15s before i can try modem_run again.

Also, i got the existing init script to work by making a few modifications.
changed
Code:
( ps -e | grep -q modem_run ) || $MODEM_RUN -v $VERBOSE -m -f $MICROCODE

to
Code:
( ps -e | grep -q modem_run ) || $MODEM_RUN -v $VERBOSE -k -m -f $MICROCODE

and
Code:
start-stop-daemon --start --exec $PPP call $PEER > /dev/null 2>&1

to
Code:
start-stop-daemon --start --exec $PPP > /dev/null 2>&1

Starting/stopping the service works.
antrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool guide.
I'm setting this modem up for BT adsl (england), do i still need all that ATM stuff?
I don't recall needing that for 2.4 using the emerge speedtouch package.

| 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 PPC 7447A, altivec supported PowerBook6,5 GNU/Linux | (My iBook G4)
antrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for a great guide!
All working great now. 8)

Edit: Just wanted to add that I had to remove -s too.
My ISP is BT Openworld (england), and all the ATM stuff works perfect.

| 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 PPC 7447A, altivec supported PowerBook6,5 GNU/Linux | (My iBook G4)
MulDy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some kind of prob here :s

Code:
:
localhost root # tail /var/log/everything/current
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2b3/pppoatm.so loaded.
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] PPPoATM plugin_init
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.35
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] pppd 2.4.2b3 started by root, uid 0
Feb 22 16:00:10 [kernel] ppp_generic: No versions for exported symbols. Tainting kernel.
Feb 22 16:00:10 [kernel] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Feb 22 16:00:10 [kernel] failed to register PPP device (-16)
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] connect(8.35): No such device
Feb 22 16:00:10 [pppd] Exit.

do you have any idea where it's come from ? :oops:
tks
mahir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: mmm question Reply with quote

do you think that
these settings would work with a BT Voyager 100? (globalspan)
its the usb adsl modems u get with AOL Broadband in England..

any ideas folks?
rensi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this guide and it seems that everything looks fine!
I get no kind of error message. And ifconfig shows a ppp0
But I'm just able to connect to the Internet as root to do for example an emerge. But as User I can't connect to anything
I think I have to chance some file permissions. But I don't know exactly which one.
Maybe it's because of this error messages I get during emerging ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1
Quote:
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tmp/portage/ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1/work/ppp-2.4.2b3/pppdump'

>>>
[...]
Install ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1 into /home/tmp/portage/ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1/image/ category net-dialup
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/chat-default': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/ip-up': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/ip-down': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/net.ppp0': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/confd.ppp0': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat `/home/tmp/portage/ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1/temp/net.ppp0': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/modules.ppp': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat `/home/tmp/portage/ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1/temp/ppp': No such file or directory
>>> dosbin: making /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/pon executable...
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/pon': No such file or directory
>>> dosbin: making /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/poff executable...
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/poff': No such file or directory
>>> dosbin: making /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/plog executable...
install: cannot stat `/usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/plog': No such file or directory
doman: /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/pon.1 does not exist.
doins: warning, skipping directory scripts/chatchat
man:
prepallstrip:
[...]
Kirja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed this guide up to the point where I must emerge the patched copy of ppp. I have tried emerging it but it fails with errors:

Code:

autoheader-2.58: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
autoheader-2.58:
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
autoheader-2.58:
autoheader-2.58: WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
autoheader-2.58:                [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
autoheader-2.58:
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
autoheader-2.58: WARNING: documentation.
aclocal.m4:49: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
autoconf/oldnames.m4:113: AM_PROG_INSTALL is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:49: the top level
autom4te-2.58: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader-2.58: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
make: *** [stamp-h.in] Error 1

!!! ERROR: net-dialup/ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 53, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Any help much appreciated. Oh btw is this patched version of ppp in portage ? The ebuild added yesterday ppp-2.4.2-r1 seems to include the atm patch (read the changelog) as long as you put include 'atm' in your USE flag.

Update:
I may have found a solution to my problem here.
Doh! Seems I didnt have the correct entry in /etc/make.conf for my portage overlay and thus I wasnt emerging the right file.

Last edited by Kirja on Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
lzap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Problem compiling patched ppp Reply with quote

Hello, when I try to emerge the patched ppp, I got this error:

Code:

unpack pppoatm.diff: file format not recognized. Ignoring.

It compiles as normal ppp (pppoatm.so is not built).

Please help.
Kirja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I managed to emerge the patched copy of ppp. I initialised my modem using modem_run etc and got the expected response as above. Slight problem though, I still cannot access the net and I get the following output in my /var/logs/messages:

Code:

Mar  7 19:35:20 BlackBird pppd[3142]: PPPoATM plugin_init
Mar  7 19:35:20 BlackBird pppd[3142]: PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
Mar  7 19:35:20 BlackBird pppd[3142]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:0.38
Mar  7 19:35:20 BlackBird pppd[3144]: pppd 2.4.2b3 started by root, uid 0
Mar  7 19:35:20 BlackBird pppd[3144]: Using interface ppp0
Mar  7 19:35:20 BlackBird pppd[3144]: Connect: ppp0 <--> 0.38
Mar  7 19:35:50 BlackBird pppd[3144]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Mar  7 19:35:50 BlackBird pppd[3144]: Connection terminated.
Mar  7 19:35:50 BlackBird pppd[3144]: Fatal signal 11
Mar  7 19:35:50 BlackBird pppd[3144]: Exit.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Sorry guys Reply with quote

Oops, looks like my topic notification died on this one some time ago :oops:

I shall examine all of these comments more closely tonight, and see if I can't resolve some of the issues mentioned. In any case, I think it's about time this thread was "bumped" because ppp has now come out of beta and reached version 2.4.2. Watch this space ...
Kirja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im watching :D
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important!!

Firstly, I forgot to mention that you really must have this in your kernel, under Character Devices (as modules or statically):
Code:
[*] Non-standard serial port support
<M>   HDLC line discipline support

Also, you should select the following under Library routines, if your kernel allows you to do so:
Code:
<M> CRC32 functions

Secondly, if you compile the pre-requisite support in the kernel as modules then please use the hotplug service.
Code:
# emerge hotplug
# rc-update hotplug boot
# /etc/init.d/hotplug start

Now for the individual issues raised in the various posts above:

rensi

Please try the following:
Code:
# find /usr/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/ -iregex ".*files/[^\(digest\)].*$" -exec cp -a {} /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp/files/ \;

Now, rebuild the digest and emerge ppp again:
Code:
# cd /usr/local/portage/net-dialup/ppp
# ebuild ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1.ebuild digest
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge =ppp-2.4.2_beta3-r1
# etc-update

lzap

Well, I believe you solved this already ;). But for the benefit of others, that "error" message is perfectly normal. The unpack stage skips the patch, because the patch is not compressed. There is no adverse effect whatsoever. The "right" way to do things is to have the patch exist in ${FILESDIR} which would be the case were this ebuild committed to Portage.

Kirja

Well, there can be a number of reasons for this. Firstly, note the requirement for slhc/n_hldc and crc32 support as mentioned above. Are you sure that the kernel has the pre-requisite features compiled in (as modules or otherwise)?

I'll describe how the module loading process works on my system. When my system boots, the hotplug service detects the Speedtouch modem and loads the following modules: speedtch, crc32 and atm. You can accomplish the same thing without hotplug by typing:
Code:
# modprobe speedtch

or by adding speedtch to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file prior to a reboot. I then run modem_run followed by pppd. The process of loading pppd results in these additional modules being loaded: pppoatm, ppp_generic and slhc.

Upon first issuing a packet outward bound to the Internet, these modules are loaded: ppp_deflate, zlib_deflate, bsd_comp. Note that the requirement for these may vary according to your ISP.

Of course, you can opt not to play the modules game by compiling in everything statically. When using modules, hotplug merely takes care of loading the speedtch module and dependencies, iirc. All others are loaded on demand.

My guess is that slhc/n_hdlc support is missing in your kernel. Please let me know whether this is the case. If not, then I have other suggestions which may be of assistance.

MulDy

This is not something I have seen before. Are you still experiencing this problem?

Everyone

My apologies for not making certain things clear in the original tutorial. I am currently working on some nice things related to this topic, and will update the guide in due course.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: mmm question Reply with quote

mahir wrote:
do you think that
these settings would work with a BT Voyager 100?

I'm not familiar with that hardware. However, it's possible. I recall that even the earliest BT ADSL modems (those hideous big, black boxen which doubled up as useful frying pans) were simply re-badged Alcatel hardware.
OneOfOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI latest ppp-2.4.2-r1 includes ATM support. :-D

peace
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneOfOne wrote:
FYI latest ppp-2.4.2-r1 includes ATM support. :-D

Hallelujah! Thanks for the heads up. :D
Kirja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck unfortunatly. I did as you instructed kerframil and the error message no longer appears but I am still unable to access the internet. I also double checked that I had everything setup correctly in my kernel.

You said you may have some more suggestions for me to try...?

Thanks
Qubax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
latest ppp-2.4.2-r1 includes ATM support

i wanted to try it out, but didn't come far
my adsl config-file in /etc/ppp/peers/ looked like this for the last 6 months:
Code:
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj

#lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
noauth
holdoff 4
maxfail 25
persist
asyncmap 0
lcp-echo-interval  2
lcp-echo-failure   7
user xxxxxxxxxxxxx

plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2b3/pppoatm.so

an never had a problem.

how to i have to modify the config, to work with current ppp-2.4.2-r1? especially the atm-options (have a look at the last line)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: