Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part II <CLOSED>Please use new thread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: How are Pappys Seeds incorporated with gentoo? Reply with quote

I got to the point where I have the source. ie.. but since i am bogged down on make menuconfig , thought it might be a good idea to try Pappys seeds.
Do I download Pappys seeds? are they somewhere in Portage? I have a feeling I am not reading enough or in the wrong place. I can't work with Pappys seeds until I know where they are. I am also guessing I may have to emerge xmenuconfig to better folow Pappys example. I will be glad to follow a link, that I may be missing, Frank
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google for pappy's seed kernels and you won't be disappointed.

Just in case, the link is: http://kernel-seeds.org/
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
frank56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
Google for pappy's seed kernels and you won't be disappointed.

Just in case, the link is: http://kernel-seeds.org/

Thanks, Figueroa:

I had not read the first section of that link, "kernel Settings", that goes into a lot of detail explaining the settings. I am beginning to think, that with Pappys Seeds, it is not a question of downloading Pappys seeds, but a question of copying them on ones menuconfig or xmenucofig. I think I was adding a step, DOWNLOADING Pappys Seed, that does not exist. Frank
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank56, so that you are not led astray:

One of the ways to get the seed kernel is to find the one that relates exactly to the kernel you want to set up, select it with the right button of your mouse and copy the link location into your copy/paste buffer.

Then, from the shell, enter wget a-space paste-the-link-to-the-seed (using your middle mouse button, or use the right mouse button and select paste) then press Enter. It should look something like this:

Code:
wget http://www.kernel-seeds.org/seeds/32_bit/gentoo/2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config

Let's assume the file 2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config is now in your home directory

In the directory /usr/src and as root, make a link to the kernel directory you want to set up, i.e:

Code:
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r8 linux

Then, change to that new symlink with
Code:
cd linux

Now, copy the kernel seed into this directory:

Code:
cp ~/2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config .config

and run
Code:
make xconfig

and continue following Pappy's instructions.
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah wrote:
Your site is down, Pappy. :(

Apparently, the IP address changed while I was in BF East Texas. The failover was working when I tried the site, so I redid the site's IP address. All should be well, now.

Speaking of the failover, I'm currently redoing all its files. That should be done some time today. If all goes well, I hope to start zen seed production tonight. For a guy who doesn't make money, I am one busy SOB!

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 for VirtualBox Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
Pappy - you saved me a ton of trial and error.

I was trying to upgrade an otherwise up-to-date Gentoo server that I'm running under VirtualBox (on top of another Gentoo installation) from a 2.6.23-gentoo-r9 kernel to the current stable kernel and didn't seem to be able to get the IDE based system to boot (not able to find hda1). Then I remembered Pappy's Seed Kernels. Got one, added the necessary drivers and a few other tweaks.

Booted right up, not a single kernel error other than a warning that ehci_hcd has to be loaded before ohci_hcd.

I am wondering why the USB module order wasn't handled automatically and how I can influence that?

THANK YOU for your work.

Thanks to you for trying my seeds. It's such a good feeling to know that I am operating within my interpretation of the Linux ideal: free software shared with others, along with my experience. While it's not profitable in the monetary sense, there is more than money in the world.

Of course, as with all open source projects, donations are cheerfully accepted. :D

As soon as I can find my old paypal account, I'll put a donation button on the pages. A bit cheesy, but this has sort of been my job for the past couple years. It would be cool to get enough money so that at least the internet bill stays paid.

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failover is now updated. At least the next time the IP address here dies, the failover will look as good as the original.

[EDIT]All pages have been updated, recoded, and are ready for your perusal. Enjoy![/EDIT]

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been getting any of these messages? I know I wouldn't have seen page here if I hadn't stopped by while updating the page today. I had trouble staying logged on here today. I was just wondering if I'm the only one.

BB!
P
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting which messages?

also: to whomever mentioned the kernel panic with FORCEDETH, I've seen that happen with SELinux in the picture, but that's pretty much it - I don't know if this applies to you or not, but you could try adding "selinux=0" to your kernel boot parameters in grub.conf and see if that sorts it. Sorry if this has already been discussed, I just skimmed :)

oh, while it's fresh on my mind - @pappy, I did a fresh config from a seed at 2.6.31's initial release (gentoo-sources), and have been doing make oldconfig ever since. Is there much of a point in starting from scratch at some stage whilst still on .31? I intend to do another fresh one once .32 hits (am ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"), but unless something huge has changed in the seeds between initial 2.6.31 and now, no real point.

(a third aside - I only recently figured out the need to emerge libdrm. i think? first time ive gotten from 60FPS to ~300FPS using glxgears on i915, and boy does it make a huge difference!)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
getting which messages?

Yeah. For some reason, I didn't get any of the messages on this page via email. I didn't get any emails about the server going down. I missed the thanks from figeroa. I didn't know what was up until I happened into the thread while I was working on the settings pages. I'm getting them now, but I missed a lot over the weekend.

Quote:
@pappy, I did a fresh config from a seed at 2.6.31's initial release (gentoo-sources), and have been doing make oldconfig ever since. Is there much of a point in starting from scratch at some stage whilst still on .31? I intend to do another fresh one once .32 hits (am ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"), but unless something huge has changed in the seeds between initial 2.6.31 and now, no real point.

I usually use make oldconfig when I'm updating minor kernel changes with my own systems. I still wind up twiddling, but at least I don't have to twiddle much.

Quote:
(a third aside - I only recently figured out the need to emerge libdrm. i think? first time ive gotten from 60FPS to ~300FPS using glxgears on i915, and boy does it make a huge difference!)

Yep. The new drivers are a lot better than they were in the bad old days. I can watch DVD's and get lost in openGL screensavers. That's a really big improvement.

Blessed be!
Pappy
frank56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
frank56, so that you are not led astray:

One of the ways to get the seed kernel is to find the one that relates exactly to the kernel you want to set up, select it with the right button of your mouse and copy the link location into your copy/paste buffer.

Then, from the shell, enter wget a-space paste-the-link-to-the-seed (using your middle mouse button, or use the right mouse button and select paste) then press Enter. It should look something like this:

Code:
wget http://www.kernel-seeds.org/seeds/32_bit/gentoo/2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config

Let's assume the file 2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config is now in your home directory

In the directory /usr/src and as root, make a link to the kernel directory you want to set up, i.e:

Code:
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r8 linux

Then, change to that new symlink with
Code:
cd linux

Now, copy the kernel seed into this directory:

Code:
cp ~/2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config .config

and run
Code:
make xconfig

and continue following Pappy's instructions.

Andy you did such a great job of breaking this down step by step, I have been reluctant to ask a basic question. Its the first step that has me spinning my wheels. "One of the ways to get the seed kernel is to find the one that relates exactly to the kernel you want to set up", Is this seed in portage? can I download this seed after chrooting step? Do I have to use another distro to get this seed? The subsequent steps, I believe I understand, but this first step, has bogged me down. Frank
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do the install the way you normally would. The seed only comes into play when you build your custom kernel. Before you build your krnel, use whatever web browser (firefox, lynx, etc.) you have available to go to Pappy's site and find the seed you need for the kernel version you plan to build, paying attention to the cpu, etc. Once you have decided on the seed, you fetch it, either with your browser, or at the command line with wget (my preffered method). Once you have the seed on your machine, youi follow the directions on Pappy's site instead of just those in the handbook to buiold your kernel.

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a semi-instructional video (screencast) on doing this. I say semi-instructional because a)I only covered the main parts, b)I myself am no expert, and while I have the right idea in getting someone started, I myself am no expert.

Anyone know where I can host a 26 minute video ~100MB that doesnt completely butcher the video's quality?

EDIT: just tried Vimeo. They're processing it, should be done 40 minutes from now (17:55 CST)

For whenever it's done - http://vimeo.com/7733701
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cach :P
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that rocks! I like it quite a bit. It's even more festive while listening to Rush A Farewell To Kings.

BB!
P
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! I'll do a proper one once I'm ready to do another build from scratch, and go through the whole process

I also need to remember what 80211 options I need enabled (as modules i think) for compat-wireless
it was very finicky about what it wanted. I could check the ebuild i think actually

as well the CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y i wasn't sure if I needed (didnt think I did)

this go-round i didn't plan the order, nor plan the vid really (hence the pauses), so it was longer than it needed to be. We'll see, time and mainly brain permitting, I'll do a v2 and go through the whole process including grub configuration and all that

Should be able to prune it down to ~15 minutes.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished the next two settings pages. They are currently up at the main site, and will be up at the failover as soon as I'm done with this message. I am going to start production on Zen source seeds. The settings pages will continue as soon as the Zen seeds are up.

cach0rr0,

Do you have a graphic for your shop? If so, I'd like to add it to the links page, which is still in the planning and getting all the crap together stage. Just so you know.

Blessed be!
Pappy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even, you can host his video on your site too.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

I like the new site - keep up the good work

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy may not have the bandwidth to host video... :?

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I don't think I could do that successfully. When I get a faster ISP, I'd love to host everything kernel-seed wise. For now, the site is an exercise in keeping things small and simple.

BB!
P
frank56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to Andy's suggested step: " cp ~/2.6.30-gentoo-r8-x86-07.config .config" but I get error message

"cp cannot stat ' /root/2.6.30-gentoo-r8-86-07.config' no such file or directory" I did not get any error mesages when I did wget, or steps after that. I am including that wavy symbol after cp in my command. ( ~) . I also went ahead and just used Andys' example seed in wget.

subsequent edit. I solved this problem, now working on getting make xconfig. I got message to the effect I did not have qt3. I crossed my fingers and am doing emerge qt. But am getting error message:

"unable to find the QT3 installation. Please make sure that the QT3 development package is correctly installled and either install pkg-config or set the QT environment to the correct location.

Make [1] *** No rule to make target 'scripts/kconfig/.tmp......"

all this after command make xconfig Frank
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank56,

Use
Code:
make menuconfig
it shows you the same things but its not quite as pretty.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:

cach0rr0,

Do you have a graphic for your shop? If so, I'd like to add it to the links page, which is still in the planning and getting all the crap together stage. Just so you know.

not yet - course I say not yet, I've had the domain for years. I intend to overhaul my site at some point, but the focus will be different (and...I need to find a damn job before I can get to that)

'tis community property, so I have no real preference - whatever you see fit.

By all means snag and host the stuff I have up (minus the video of course - we'll let Vimeo do that!). I put it up there mainly because there have been many times int he earlier days I wished I could find a repo of working configs specifically for my hardware. 'course then i found the seeds, and learned enough to do my own more or less.

I'm doing one for Tal_Sar on his Asus Eeepc H1000 at the moment, will post that up shortly as well.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last, the Zen seeds have arrived in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Blessed be!
Pappy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: