Alternative to gentoo-wiki.com
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Alternative to gentoo-wiki.com Reply with quote

I was going to extend an article at gentoo-wiki.com but it seems to be offline again.
I have the feeling that the site is not very reliable. Also I still think about the complete database loss some time ago. So I wonder whether there is a "professionally hosted" wiki where I could contribute gentoo related stuff to. All I can think of at the moment is the "Documentation, Tips & Tricks" forum here.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiki is currently down, but this is unlikely to be for long. Expect it back shortly. It's much more stable than it used to be. An incident such as the database wipe will not happen again - backup procedures have been much improved (and the entire situation was rather bizarre anyway).

To my knowledge no one has yet come up with a workable better solution. The wiki can't be hosted on Gentoo infrastructure unless Gentoo actually runs it, and they have no interest in doing so (from the discussions I've had and seen both the docs (all 1 of them active) and infra teams are actively against anything wiki based - they much prefer their GuideXML format which no one outside of the Gentoo developers has a desire to learn nor a use for.

Edit: As expected, the wiki has promptly returned and is working as expected once again.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
The wiki can't be hosted on Gentoo infrastructure unless Gentoo actually runs it, and they have no interest in doing so

This is a very one sided representation of the facts. Actually there is interest within Gentoo to run an official wiki, and last I looked that interest was growing. Yes, certain involved teams and individual developers have reservations or objections, but that can change. The bigger stumbling block is the owner of gentoo-wiki.com and gentoo-portage.com, who is not willing to give up control or ad revenue in order to work with Gentoo infrastructure.

To answer the OP: there is indeed the Documentation subforum here. We do not have any official wiki (yet). You are welcome to submit new documentation or updates to existing documentation (as hosted under http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/) to our bug tracker.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I write is one sided. It's my point of view based on the previous discussions on the subject - most of which I've been involved in. Where there was support for having a Gentoo-run wiki, nobody actually wanted to admin it - everyone seemed to be suggesting some other group of people should be admins. Nobody even bothered to ask the current admins about the amount of work that has gone into the wiki to keep the content in a (mostly) sane condition and keep the spammers out (there's not too much spam now, but I believe that's down to the hard work put in over the years, getting rid of spam as quickly as possible to make it clear that it's not worth attacking this particular wiki).

The last time I wrote to the -dev list about the wiki idea, I was told it wasn't needed because... wait for it... someones gone and written a web-based page editor from scratch for GuideXML (Beacon Project - link supplied as they also chose one of the most common project names in existance). Yup, you heard it right. NIH is still alive and well in the docs project. Instead of a proper, cross-browser, well developed, extensible solution with lots of plugins and extensions already available, based on the most popular web setup around (so if anyone wanted to they could easily mirror / recreate it locally, not that they'd really have any reason to), they're writing their own Firefox only editor to support their in-house format that nobody else has any interest in using, rewriting all the features already in existing software.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
This is a very one sided representation of the facts. Actually there is interest within Gentoo to run an official wiki, and last I looked that interest was growing. Yes, certain involved teams and individual developers have reservations or objections, but that can change.

I hope that does change sometime in the near future. I cba contributing to gentoo-wiki given the unreliability of the service. And a wiki on Gentoo Infra. would be a (much needed and) positive userrel boost, IMHO.
Truzzone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news about gentoo-wiki.com it seems always down :cry:

Truzzone :(
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truzzone wrote:
Any news about gentoo-wiki.com it seems always down :cry:

Truzzone :(

Up and working normally here, as usual.
Truzzone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the same day in the late night it works, before there is write the "error not found article..." for any page including homepage :!:

Truzzone :)
synn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is up and running now. but wiki interface was bit broken on my browser. perhaps due to google adsense.
nick_already_taken
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: status of gentoo-wiki.com ? Reply with quote

Hi,

does anybody know what the status of gentoo-wiki.com is? It seems it is offline since a few days...
I have already contacted its site admin without a response.

Thanks,
dlmalloc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: status of gentoo-wiki.com ? Reply with quote

nick_already_taken wrote:
Hi,

does anybody know what the status of gentoo-wiki.com is? It seems it is offline since a few days...

Thanks,

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

dlmalloc@irc.freenode.net
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! :) (and Finally)
nick_already_taken
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: status of gentoo-wiki.com ? Reply with quote

dlmalloc wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

Sorry, but this does not answer my question:

wiki.gentoo.org != gentoo-wiki.com
dlmalloc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: status of gentoo-wiki.com ? Reply with quote

Sorry, but this does not answer my question:

wiki.gentoo.org != gentoo-wiki.com

What I was alluding to was:

Perhaps it doesn't matter that gentoo-wiki.com is down. Perhaps it's better we stop relying on something unofficial when there is an equivalent official version available.

dlmalloc@irc.freenode.net
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: status of gentoo-wiki.com ? Reply with quote

dlmalloc wrote:
What I was alluding to was:

Perhaps it doesn't matter that gentoo-wiki.com is down. Perhaps it's better we stop relying on something unofficial when there is an equivalent official version available.

More importantly, something unofficial which only consistent in being unreliable.
nick_already_taken
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the discussion is a bit unfair.

How long did it take gentoo to actually get a wiki up & running? Gentoo-wiki.com was available years ago, when Gentoo did not even think about it's own wiki.

Ok they had huge technical problems in the past, but I think anyone should appreciate the efforts, that are put in favor of gentoo, being it by the gentoo foundation or some volunteers.

BTW: gentoo-wiki.com is back online :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: