View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: nvidia-kernel driver won't work with RAM > 960MB Reply with quote

Okay, here's what happened. I did a fresh installation of Gentoo on my system, an Athlon XP 2100+ with 1024MB of RAM. The kernel (gentoo-sources r5) was compiled for Athlons, but I had forgotten to turn on high-memory support (in the Processor type and features section of the kernel config). I didn't realise this at the time, and after a reboot I emerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. The NVIDIA drivers worked fine with my GeForce 3 Ti200, but then I realised that free was reporting that I only had 880MB RAM total. I recompiled my kernel, changing High memory support (CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM) to 4GB but keeping everything else the same. I rebooted into the new kernel, and all my memory was now visible.

Then things became screwy. The emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx went fine, but X refused to start. The XFree86 nv driver worked fine. After reading through these fora, I decided to try changing some kernel options in the hope of fixing the problem. I've tried compiling for Pentium III and compiling without MTRR support, with high memory support and without. On these kernels the NVIDIA driver would only load when high memory is disabled.

This means that I have to choose between having all my RAM visible with mediocre graphics or having less RAM with a good graphics driver. I've chosen the latter, but I'm not too happy about it. Any ideas, people?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 on a dual P3 system with 1 GB of RAM and the full GB is being reported. It can work, it's just a matter of finding out why it doesn't want to.
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
I'm running a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 on a dual P3 system with 1 GB of RAM and the full GB is being reported. It can work, it's just a matter of finding out why it doesn't want to.
Maybe that's because you have SMP? Is there anyone out there who has the NVdriver working with 1 CPU and >960MB RAM, with all of that RAM being detected?
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried recompiling the kernel again (using gentoo-r7 this time round), leaving CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM at 4GB but this time modularising agpgart (the AGP driver), which before I had compiled into the kernel itself. I tried both with and without the module loaded. I also tried altering the NvAgp option in /etc/x11/XFree86config, trying all possible values (0-3). Still no luck :(

delta407, would you please be so kind as to post your kernel .config file so that I may compare it with my own? It's probably too long for a forum like this so you can mail me at Yama_I@yahoo.com.au. Thanks.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mailed.
format c:
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my K7 with 1024 MB RAM single CPU the nvidia-driver and nvidia-glx work with the new vanilla 2.4.19 and with the gentoo-patched kernel.

curt@joy curt$ cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 1058848768 1051144192 7704576 0 11538432 846032896
Swap: 1998700544 827392 1997873152
MemTotal: 1034032 kB
MemFree: 7524 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram is so cheap nowadays...
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
Ram is so cheap nowadays...

I picked up a pair of 512 MB sticks around February for $140 total, which was (and still is) an excellent deal.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing, I used to have 64Mb for this price few years ago, and I was at the top of the tech!
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
That's amazing, I used to have 64Mb for this price few years ago, and I was at the top of the tech!

Back in "the day" ram was like $45 bucks a meg, and it was that way for a long time (a couple years at least), then it started to drop really suddenly. I was SO cool for having 8 megs in my beast 486 but it wasn't cheap. I had Norton Commander and command.com, and a custom console font and a bunch of other little things stuffed in a big fat 1 meg ramdrive to speed things up. Doom hardly had to touch the disk while playing... Hyperdisk was the bomb, and I had the RAM to spare (and the guts to risk fat inconsistancies on a sudden untimely power outage). Ahh, nostalgia.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I remember before that, I had my first PC, a 8088, and I think my memory was like 128Kb, which was pretty good at this time...

You were rich to afford a 1Mb ram drive!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this a thread about nvidia and more RAM than 960MB? :D
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidia didn't exist at this time, and I was happy with my Hercule card.

Sorry, stop talking about unrelated subject...
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much delta407!

format c: wrote:
On my K7 with 1024 MB RAM single CPU the nvidia-driver and nvidia-glx work with the new vanilla 2.4.19 and with the gentoo-patched kernel.

curt@joy curt$ cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 1058848768 1051144192 7704576 0 11538432 846032896
Swap: 1998700544 827392 1997873152
MemTotal: 1034032 kB
MemFree: 7524 kB
MemShared: 0 kB

Hi format c:,

Do you think you could please post your kernel .config to me as well? That would help immensely, as I can compare it to my own .config. My e-mail address in Yama_I@yahoo.com.au. Thank you.
format c:
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-mailed
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: All fixed! Reply with quote

Everything's working now :D

After comparing my .config file to that of delta407 and format c: (thanks guys), and doing lots of experimentation, I managed to get a 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel that gives me the full 1024MB of RAM and works with the NVIDIA graphics drivers. As a cool side-effect, my system no longer hangs when I try fo switch to a virtual console and back again :)

I compared my new working .config to the original one and found two main differences. Firstly, the new kernel is far more modularised. Secondly, the new kernel has Grsecurity completely turned off. I think that Grsecurity was the problem in the first place. The fact that the NVIDIA driver only worked with Highmem switched off was a red herring, and was the reason why I had so much trouble. Since this machine sits behind a separate firewall box, there's no pressing need for Grsecurity.

Thanks to all those who tried to help.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "hang when switching to a virtual console and back again" is very, very likely because you had the riva framebuffer installed. (haven't seen your .config so I couldn't tell ya) The damned thing is broken in so many ways it's ridiculous. IMO it should get booted from the kernel until it goes after active development again...
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
The "hang when switching to a virtual console and back again" is very, very likely because you had the riva framebuffer installed.
That's right. My original kernel had the Riva framebuffer compiled into it. Not only did it freeze my system when I tried to switch to the console and back, it also refused to accept my 'vga=xxx' kernel boot parameters (which made the text look huge on my 21 in. monitor). I'm now using the standard VESA driver, and it works great.

What's the point in graphics chipset-specific drivers for the console, anyway? Isn't VESA enough for simple text?
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's right. My original kernel had the Riva framebuffer compiled into it. Not only did it freeze my system when I tried to switch to the console and back, it also refused to accept my 'vga=xxx' kernel boot parameters (which made the text look huge on my 21 in. monitor). I'm now using the standard VESA driver, and it works great.

Yup, it also probably made the cursor all green and stretched out whenever you quit X. Prolly made giant huge bands across the screen if/when you used mplayer also. =)

As for what it's good for... I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it works (and has better performance) for old Riva128's or something. Definitely doesn't work on my TNT2, which is about 3 years old, and doesn't work for my geforce.

Come to think of it, I've never heard of it working for anyone, but have talked to plenty of people for whom it's broken.
Miles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's grsecurity because I've got it working with the Gentoo kernel sources with 1GB RAM and the nvidia driver. If you're still interested in finding the root of the problem I'll send you my .config.
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Yup, it also probably made the cursor all green and stretched out whenever you quit X. Prolly made giant huge bands across the screen if/when you used mplayer also. =)
That's the one! Except my cursor was red/orange, not green. :)
Miles wrote:
I don't think it's grsecurity because I've got it working with the Gentoo kernel sources with 1GB RAM and the nvidia driver. If you're still interested in finding the root of the problem I'll send you my .config.
From comparing my 'before' and 'after' .config files, I'm pretty sure the problem lies with grsecurity. Grsecurity is a complex beast with loads of options. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those many options was the root of the problem. In that case, I was just unfortunate enough to have turned it on while you didn't and therefore escaped the problem. If I could get a look through your .config that'd be cool. My e-mail address (again) is Yama_I@yahoo.com.au. Thanks.
Miles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent my .config.
format c:
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in a .config with working grsecurity too. Miles would you please so kind sent me ( pop.py@arcor.de ) your .config too? During install gentoo_1.4_beta I compiled a new, smaller kernel. Gnome starts in 6 sec. (with the nvidia-agp-driver, agp-rate 4x) now. Before gnome needs 10 sec. (gentoo_1.2) to come up. That seems to be o.k., but I've no working grsecurity.
Miles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. :)
harv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is rather old now, but I have a similar problem.

I added a 512MB module today so I got 1GB ram, added high memory support and the kernel booted up just fine and showed 1GB ram..

Trying to start X results in error messages about DMA, (framebuffer, LUT, context) changing at almost every try.

Rebooting to the old kernel without high memory support made X die even earlier with fatal io error 104 (connection reset by peer).

I've tried both 3123 and 4191 nvidia drivers.
running gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r1
Athlon XP 2200+
Asus MB with kt400 chipset
everything but the nvidia driver compiled into the kernel (not as modules),
Running XFree's nv driver atm, which works fine.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: