Which gcc profile?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stelth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Which gcc profile? Reply with quote

I just updated my kernel (successfully, which was a surprise, I swear my machine is haunted).

The kernel wouldn't compile until I switched the gcc profile to sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-4.3.3
I also noticed that the default selected gcc profile was sparc--unknown-linux-gnu-4.3.2.

Which profile should I be using for a 32-bit userland?

I tried the CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu- while the 32-bit profile was selected, and was always met with a compiler not found error. I know I can put the entire path to the compiler in the CROSS_COMPILE variable, but didn't have an issue with this while installing, or on one previous kernel upgrade.

What should I set as the gcc profile for normal compiling, and will I need to switch it each time when compiling the kernel?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what sys-devel/kgcc64 is for?
tcunha
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which gcc profile? Reply with quote

Quote:
The kernel wouldn't compile until I switched the gcc profile to sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-4.3.3

Right. That's because gcc-config configures your system so you can use that compiler properly (eg append the compiler's path to the PATH environment variable).

Quote:
I also noticed that the default selected gcc profile was sparc--unknown-linux-gnu-4.3.2.

This is right, as well.

Quote:
Which profile should I be using for a 32-bit userland?

They should be both selected when you use gcc-config -l, because on Gentoo (and, AFAIK on other Linux distributions) the kernel is 64-bit, and the userland is 32-bit (I think I remember seeing an experimental Debian project with a 64-bit userland). Now, the one which has a green star represents your userland compiler (32-bit), and the blue one, is your cross-compiler (64-bit) which is installed, as ssuominen said, by sys-devel/kgcc64.

There's an experimental multilib profile. You'd able to compile, and run 64-bit code, but the userland will remain 32-bit (GCC uses -m32 by default). Therefore, and since GCC will be bi-arch, you'll get rid of sys-devel/kgcc64.

Quote:
I tried the CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu- while the 32-bit profile was selected, and was always met with a compiler not found error. I know I can put the entire path to the compiler in the CROSS_COMPILE variable, but didn't have an issue with this while installing, or on one previous kernel upgrade.

Probably because it wasn't selected by gcc-config -l, and thus your environment wasn't properly configured.

Quote:
What should I set as the gcc profile for normal compiling, and will I need to switch it each time when compiling the kernel?

They should be both selected. Nonetheless, when compiling a kernel >2.6.25, make sure you use make CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-.

HTH.
stelth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, both are selected when looking closer at gcc-config -l

sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-4.3.2 has a green star next to it
sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-4.3.3 has a blue star next to it

However, with both profiles selected, I'm still not able to compile a kernel even when passing CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-unkown-linux-gnu- on the command line. This goes away if I select the 64-bit profile, do the kernel compile, then select the 32-bit profile again. I thought having both selected like that was to make it so I didn't have to keep switching profiles. Maybe I missed something in the install or something got borked in an update.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: