Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'M DONE - 4 YEARS of Gentoo is ENOUGH.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How alive/dead is Gentoo for you? (Only vote, if you use Gentoo for at least one year.)
Even better than ever
42%
 42%  [ 98 ]
Hasn’t changed much
23%
 23%  [ 54 ]
Could be better
24%
 24%  [ 55 ]
In bad shape, there’s not much left
9%
 9%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 228

hurricane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: The fuck?? (aka “The End”) Reply with quote

Hello fellow Gentoo users.

I am a Gentoo user since somewhere around 2001 and 2003. I am now using Gentoo on every System in my control. But…

I saw the demise of the portage repository. From something that you could just run, and rely that your “emerge -e world” finished without an error. To having complete guarantee to always have at least one error per “emerge -uD world”.
I saw the demise of the Gentoo forums. From being the most useful resource on the net. To the “filter” (censorship) and how that search engine became totally and completely useless.
I saw the developers and maintainers here and in Bugzilla becoming less and less friendly. And more and more ignorant.
Despite people yelling from the top of their lungs, nothing happened. They got insulted. They got banned. Nothing changed.
It just got worse.

In the last days, even Bugzilla started to fall apart.
This is what you get right now, when you submit a bug: http://navid.radiantempire.com/pub/post_bug.cgi.html
And it’s like that for days now.

To me, this is the is the last straw that breaks the camel’s back.
I today see Gentoo as officially dying. Until now, it just mutated. But what was left of the original spirit, is vanishing.

I’m going to look for another system. Something that takes the original spirit, improves on the package management, has some human policies as well, and feels like new hope again. And if there is nothing, I might even have to go back to Windows as a main OS again. :(
Makes no sense clinging to the MIR of Linux distributions, sparking and failing, literally falling apart.

But it’s OK. In software project management, just as in politics, you learn, that every project will grow beyond what its core systems can support. To be replaced by a new one.
In software development, that is the time when you start a complete rewrite. In politics it's a change of the form of government. But always it’s revolutionary.

Maybe we should fork. And call it “Gentoo Revolution”. 10.0 is a nice number for that, isn’t it? :)
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a grip man! Seriously, this will probably wind up being a 100 page thread in 10 years...but that's the point, isn't it?
ziggysquatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of these. You'll be back. And what will bring you back? USE flags. I find Funtoo fits my needs where Gentoo falls short.
doctork
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
--
doc
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...I'm glad I did some research...you've been writing this emotionally overwrought, retarded crap for over 4 years now...goodbye! This thread should just get thrown in with the other 'I give up, I can't cope, even though I'm a genius' threads that show up here every 6 months. Like this one:

Quote:
Am I wrong or has it got nearly impossible to install gentoo

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2557559-highlight-.html#2557559

Yep, you are wrong...I'm guessing quite a few people have been able to install Gentoo since 2005.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged a thread (last five posts) from Gentoo Chat. hurricane, please choose appropriate topic titles in the future.
john.newman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet read the entire thread, but I certainly understand the frustration of the OP. I've been there.

But for some reason, I'm back here and I'm really pleased and excited to be back. Gentoo is great stuff no doubt about it. When I first read "KVM exists now", there was not much thought, I had to ditch windows immediately and get back on the linux crack pipe.

I had been flip flopping between gentoo & ubuntu installs 5-8 years ago, but this time gentoo was the only one I even considered. It is the power user's distro, so if you can't handle everything that brings (I probably still can't :o ) then ubuntu or similar is a good option. but eh... Gnome is not my cup of tea, it kind of feels like I might as well just use windows and cut the crap...

IF I can get a plan around A) being careful and aware of every consequence to my system due to what I am changing and B) gain the ability to easily hit undo and get back to such a nice stable state, I won't be going anywhere. If not, I'll eventually botch everything a few times and that's enough. Backup tarballs are one piece of the puzzle but a gross oversimplification of what is needed. SVN has me so spoiled.

I think KVM can solve these problems in one way or another. And so far things are going excellent, a little difficult at times but moving in a very forwardly direction at a pretty decent pace. Everything has been [ ok ] and nothing has gotten worse. There is one minor open bug with fluxbox that is annoying, and I have to see about wine and HL2

When I ran back to windows last time, it was because hardware A or B didn't really work correctly. But looking back, I'm pretty sure the software DID actually work, it was just my lack of knowledge, patience, and due dilligence to seek out every turn and find the correct settings. Not having mechanisms for what I described above made doing this difficult.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using FEATURES="binpackage" and either proper backups or or full revision control for configuration files provides an impressive degree of resilience for an installed system, though both obviously need to be in use before things go wrong.
john.newman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was surprised when i found out that gentoo even offers binaries.. isn't that what nearly every other distro is that gentoo is not?

anyway .. i think cfengine can do what I am after. It's just gonna be a semi-significant mountain to climb for a month or so.
labrador
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: I'm not back Reply with quote

Hello gentooers,

I came by to find old references on the gentoo debates. I had started a thread
kinda like this one as a "comment box" - like you might fill in at restaurants on the way
out. It is only fair to tell a restaurant why you won't be back. It would be strange
for the restaurant owner to not use this information to their benefit.

Gentoo did begin a User Relations group shortly after, as it was perceived
the developers were unable to grasp how problems impacted users.
This is probably what people should use rather than Gentoo chat for
their first approach at changing things.

One of the common comments I see in these threads is "you'll be back". I am not back
to Gentoo. I think I've used the Live CD once as a recovery/investigation tool, but
that is it since 2005.

I've been using Debian, and I've been surprised at how the leadership
in Debian has pushed packages and kernels to be fresher than those
in the latest Redhat Enterprise.
linuxwales
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bye for now Reply with quote

You may wonder why my first post is a "goodbye".

I have been a loyal devotee to Gentoo since early 2003, and have always extolled it's virtues as just about the best distribution of Linux out there, especially for servers.

I have 4 different servers at home, one being the gateway box handling firewall, mail, web, samba, etc. I'm sure that box will just keep going until I migrate to another distro. One of my other boxes is running Elastix, but I'm really not that impressed with the Asterisk-bundled distros after trying all of them. Hence, when receiving my new server (Dell SC1425), I put Gentoo on it, naturally.

The new Dell server was to be a test box before building a production server for my business. I was surprised therefore, to find that Asterisk 1.2 is still the only available version in the stable branch. Most of the world is now on 1.6!

Another example is openSIPS (formerly openSER). Due to the openSER being forked into two separate projects, 107482 was reopened to get portage updated. It has, to the point that openSER is no longer available in the tree, but that's about it.

I've noticed more an more posts where people are leaving Gentoo, which is a shame. I still believe that if the Gentoo Foundation were to do something to keep maintainers, then the distribution could reclaim that crown. Another example is documentation. It's way out of date.

Now, you may be thinking, "...this is his first post, what a cheek having a go at Gentoo!". My response to that would be firstly I can't remember my original login for the forums , and I've never really needed to post much on any forum because in my experience someone has already asked a particular question, and I've been able to track down the answer either in this forum or using Google.

It really is a pity that it's come to this. Kernel development seems to be pretty much on track, even though the latest stable headers are still for 2.6.27 and not 2.6.30. I now have more than just my home network and free time to think about, the business has to come first.

It's been a very entertaining 7 years working with Gentoo, but sadly it has to come to an end. Now I have to face choosing something different, and no I'm not going to Ubuntu (can't stand brown). So, it's possibly Debian, Slackware, or maybe FreeBSD.

No flames or flowers, and thanks for the fun times.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
synn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wow! who would take the time to type all of that...

I second that.
Shovas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synn wrote:
Quote:
wow! who would take the time to type all of that...

I second that.

The same people who put years of their professional and personal time into a distro that started well but which turned into a curse.

Some people are right, though. Lots of people say "you'll be back." I actually did come back once. About a year ago, after 8 years of home and production use, on desktops and servers, I was so fed up with gentoo I left for anything else. I tried a number of other distros. But I started missing gentoo. The grass is always greener, they say. So I went back to gentoo and it was nice for a short time. Then things started breaking as I remembered they did.

That was it. I'm an anything-but-gentoo refugee now.

I will say I am pleased that the gentoo people allow this thread. I think it's therapeutic for both sides. Four years and 26 pages of posts is a clear testament to the deep rooted issues that reside in this distro. It is an opportunity to make things better.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: