xmms looks ugly OR isn't easily readable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: xmms looks ugly OR isn't easily readable Reply with quote

Split from Anyone emerge Zinf successfully?. - pjp

Yes, I used zinf for a few days. Gave it up in favor for xmms.
kanuslupus wrote:
I thought adding -arts would tell emerge to not use it.

Adding -kde will tell emerge to not use arts, that's how it worked for me.

I didn't like the fact that zinf created it's own "My Music" folder in my home dir. After that zinf tried to scan my hard drive to find music and make a "nice" catalog. But it didn't work, the catalog was messed up.
This kind of things I don't need. So I installed xmms as always and it works fine!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russki wrote:
Yes, I used zinf for a few days. Gave it up in favor for xmms.
I haven't been able to get xmms to not look like crap (readable = pixelated/ugly, not pixelated/ugly = not readable). Also, I can't get xmms to use my parent directory containing subdirs of music.
Quote:
Adding -kde will tell emerge to not use arts, that's how it worked for me.
I have -kde in there. In fact, -kde was still in when I removed -arts *shrug* odd.

Quote:
I didn't like the fact that zinf created it's own "My Music" folder in my home dir.
Yeah, this should be an option, I just rm it.

Quote:
After that zinf tried to scan my hard drive to find music and make a "nice" catalog.
Hrm... worked fine for me. I pointed it to the main dir containing my music though.

Quote:
But it didn't work, the catalog was messed up.
Not trying to convert you to Zinf, just curious... messed up how?
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
haven't been able to get xmms to not look like crap (readable = pixelated/ugly, not pixelated/ugly = not readable).

Wat screen resolution do you have? Really, xmms, zinf, doesn't make differents on 1280x1024 to me.
Quote:
Also, I can't get xmms to use my parent directory containing subdirs of music.

No problem hier! I have main dir "My Music". There I've got subdirs with bands names, every subdir has another subdir with CD or LP names etc... I can choose one song or one CD or all "My Music".
Btw all my music is on different partition.
Quote:
I have -kde in there. In fact, -kde was still in when I removed -arts *shrug* odd.

I am lost hier... I know wat works and worked for me. That's add
Quote:
Quote:
After that zinf tried to scan my hard drive to find music and make a "nice" catalog.
Hrm... worked fine for me. I pointed it to the main dir containing my music though.

Quote:
But it didn't work, the catalog was messed up.
Not trying to convert you to Zinf, just curious... messed up how?

That's wat I did! But, you know I am no saint. I've got allot of mp3's from internet, and all the mp3's tags are messed up. Zinf is reading this tags and as a result I've got tons of different directories with different names, different songs... A mess! That's actually how windoze media player works. All I want is to chose one directory that contains one album, and listen to it. I don't want all that fancy zinf order with different tracks and names... I found xmms perfect, and that's wat I am using now
Greetings

P.S I hate quotes, it's always wrong (just edited it 3 times)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russki wrote:
Wat screen resolution do you have? Really, xmms, zinf, doesn't make differents on 1280x1024 to me.
1280x1024 as well. There is some button on xmms that when pressed 'enlarges' the GUI interface. When I do that, it is very pixelated. If I don't, everything is small enough to not be pleasant to read (for me). I haven't noticed any other pixelation issues.

Quote:
No problem hier! I have main dir "My Music". There I've got subdirs with bands names, every subdir has another subdir with CD or LP names etc... I can choose one song or one CD or all "My Music".
Hrm... maybe I just didn't see the location to do that. I tried pointing to the main directory, but it wouldn't take it. I have a drive dedicated for music myself.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand it either. Incidentally, this is what is keeping me from really understanding how USE works, but that is another thread.

Quote:
That's wat I did! But, you know I am no saint. I've got allot of mp3's from internet, and all the mp3's tags are messed up. Zinf is reading this tags and as a result I've got tons of different directories with different names, different songs... A mess! That's actually how windoze media player works. All I want is to chose one directory that contains one album, and listen to it. I don't want all that fancy zinf order with different tracks and names... I found xmms perfect, and that's wat I am using now
Yeah, I have some that are a bit out of whack as well. Some day I'll fix them.
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Russki wrote:
1280x1024 as well. There is some button on xmms that when pressed 'enlarges' the GUI interface. When I do that, it is very pixelated. If I don't, everything is small enough to not be pleasant to read (for me). I haven't noticed any other pixelation issues..

I guiess thats's were skins play theirs rol. I use ultrafine-pw skin. It is fine to read and it looks good whith my gnome2/crux/metacity/beautiful and free/ desktop. I would post a screenshot, but I can't at the moment...

Quote:
Quote:
Hrm... maybe I just didn't see the location to do that. I tried pointing to the main directory, but it wouldn't take it. I have a drive dedicated for music myself.

To choose a dir, press "file" on Playlist Editor (don't release) and go to DIR. That's should work.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand it either. Incidentally, this is what is keeping me from really understanding how USE works, but that is another thread.

I've been using gentoo sins april. I've build it (I think) 10-15 times.
I've always kept my "make.conf" to use the same USE flags. And wat I've noticed that every time there is a major update, the use flags have different working. Right now I use gnome, but in my USE flags I've got -gnome. It works fine!!!! In fact I've got less trubble to compile gnome like that. Odd. But you're right, that's different thread
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I have some that are a bit out of whack as well. Some day I'll fix them.
:(
Make sure to let the world know how :) For me it means editing thousans mp3's... I find it to much...
Success
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possibled to get xmms to have kde style menus instead of gtk? its the only app that i use frequently thats gtk.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: