View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trupoet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: [FAQF] IG2: How to install Gentoo in a Win XP/NT config Reply with quote

--- MOD EDIT -- the original thread has become a FAQ here -- Bloody B.

I really like the idea of making the dummy boot file for XP/2k/NT but the guide never went over how to make this file....how would I go about doing that?
insomniac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer going the other way - using Grub first to choose between Gentoo and NT/2000/XP , then booting the desired OS.... but i'm sure there is a reason to do it your way...
Kosmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a triple installation (Win98/WinXP/Gentoo) and i didn't find a way to get the windows' in different grub options. I had an entry Windows which then gave me a second bootloader where i could choose between 98 and XP. If i got Gentoo into the windows bootloader, i would only have had 1 boot menu
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insomniac wrote:
I prefer going the other way - using Grub first to choose between Gentoo and NT/2000/XP , then booting the desired OS.... but i'm sure there is a reason to do it your way...
I'm using grub to choose between Gentoo and WinXP. It wasnt an issue to set up at all, I just followed the instructions in the Install guide and it it had a sample entry for booting Windows.
Kosmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a matter of preference really. We really can't obligate people to like Grub (or lilo), although we *all* know free (not beer*) software is better

*: i remember the term beer, but i don't seem to remember the opposite, is there any?
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosmo wrote:
It's just a matter of preference really. We really can't obligate people to like Grub (or lilo), although we *all* know free (not beer*) software is better

*: i remember the term beer, but i don't seem to remember the opposite, is there any?
Well, we could try...

Btw, its either speech or water, im not sure which you're looking for
Kosmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for speech, thx. :)
Free water is the same as free beer, only the second one will get you drunk and more thirsty
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insomniac wrote:

Here's one... Both windows and linux are installed on my RAID controller. (shows up in grub as hd1) I have a second hardisk in /dev/hda. I can't install grub on my RAID array because it corrupts the array, so I have to install it on /dev/hda. GRUB can't boot windows from /dev/hda because /dev/hda isn't the "primary" hard disk. I can't work around it with the map aliasing thing because windows doesn't use the BIOS to get the location of my RAID array.

Unfortunetally, this method doesn't work for me either. (sigh)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good candidate for a FAQ entry....
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be my guest. 8)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post has become IG2: How to install Gentoo in a Win XP/NT config. This current thread will be its feedback thread. You can post corrections here, and the FAQ will be updated accordingly by one of the moderators.

Kudos for plate, for writting this nice piece of documentation.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: still can't boot gentoo! Reply with quote

I have a WinXP/Gentoo dual boot (someday) that I can't get to work.

My new system:
Gigabyte GA7VAX motherboard (Via(KT400 Chipset)
Asus/Nvidia GF4-440MX Video
3 - WD600BB Hard Disks, DVD, Floppy

hda1 (30gig fat32), hda2 (30gig fat32)
hdb1 (/boot ext2), hdb2 (swap), hdb3 (/ ext3)
hdc2 (more swap), hdc3 (/home ext3)
hdd (DVD)

I first installed the base gentoo system to hdb & hdc with grub setup to hda's MBR
After the winXP install to C: (hda1) the MBR was overwritten (expected)
I then used the grub boot floppy to re-establish grub in hda's MBR. That worked for gentoo but would not boot WinXP. Through some searching I found this thread:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=33326
I have tried the normal grub method = WIn XP won't boot, I repaired the hda MBR for WinXP-XP boots ok /no gentoo

I have tried putting grub on hdb & setting the bios to boot from hdb: grub needed to be reconfigured as hd1 was then hd0 for grub only, but I still could not boot WinXP.

Then sgahm pointed me to plate's FAQ.
With variations for my install I tried WinXP's boot loader. After several tries (changing grub, forgetting to make a new bin file, etc., etc., also I dd'ed straight to c:\ </mnt/windows>:

results: the XP bootloader sends me off to a blank screen with a <dead> but blinking cursor (grub was setup (hd1), with grub setup (hd1,0) I now get grub printed in the top left with a <dead> blinking cursor

I see that there are a few more grub methods on the other link I'll try.

I don't know if I was doing something wrong with plate's method or maybe it only works for other partitions on the same drive.

In the meantime my only way to gentoo on the new machine is my grub bootfloppy and manualy entering the commands.

Brian
[/url]
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate's method works with Linuxes in any partition (or at least, I don't see anything preventing it to work). One thing that may be in your way is that you dd'd directly to the FAT partition. Try to dd to a Linux partition, then copy it into the Win Partition.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be sure without having had a look at your grub.conf, but the canonical way to do this for people with separate drives for Windows and Linux is not my NT bootloader routine: Darth_Daver's howto actually makes more sense whenever one has more than just a single harddisk available.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think where I went wrong using plate's method was trying to put & copy grub from a slave drive. Then windows was booting the file from a primary drive... hence the dead boot. I like what Darth_Daver has explained and done. It may be the easier &safer way.

Also I think that both plate's & Dath_Daver's should be in the FAQ as well as linked into the install docs.

There are 3 threads going right now about the same or very similar problems that would probably been reduced if there was a good planning section in the install docs for us noob's. Then most of us (at least a few) could do the install using the correct technique for grub/etc. without a lot of the agravation.

A great many thanks for all the help, keep up the good work. :)

Brian
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: grub Reply with quote

Just a final update. I have been able to correctly setup grub using a slight modification to Darth_Davers howto. Instead of physically swapping the primary & secondary drives (WinXP on primary, Gentoo on secondary) I set the bios to boot from the secondary drive (hd1).

One thing to note: grub thinks that since it is being booted then the drive it is on must be (hd0) instead of (hd?), I still needed to re-map the the drives in grub (to what they actually were) to boot windows. Gentoo still regards itself as being on (hd1) although grub thinks the same drive is (hd0).

I will post a condensed & commented grub.conf to Darth's thread for others to use as a possible variation to that method, probably tommoro after it completes a huge emerge -u world.

Thanks again for the help, Brian :)

P.S. I see I've evolved from n00b to Tux's little helper :)
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: existing linux partition Reply with quote

alright i have winXP in hda1, then lindows installed on the rest of my drive
i have lilo currently installed in the MBR as my bootloader, which lets me choose between XP and linux. how do i install gentoo to the proper partition without losing data. i know how to add XP to the lilo menu after I have it installed, and i read the guide but just wanted to be absolutely sure before I tried it.
thanks for the help
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Lilo to boot your entire OS collection, you don't need the method described in the FAQ discussed here. Just go with the standard CD installation guide or install from within Lindows, using the method described in the alternative guide.
Marou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed the instructions in the guide exactly but can't seem to boot into Gentoo. I get a GRUB Geom Error when loading. Any ideas?..

Additional Info:

Swap = hdb5
Boot = hdb6
Root = hdb7

In grub I made (hd1,5) bootable and set it up like that. In fstab I have drives listed as /dev/hdbX

In grub.conf everything is listed grubstyle except the kernal location.
effektz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying to install Gentoo but am having some trouble with Plate's guide. I have Windows XP (NTFS) in /dev/hda1. But when i follow the instructions on how to install linux, plate tells me hdaN+4 (+4 from the guide). SO i fdisk /dev/hda. n for new partition. p for primiary (e for extended is the only other option). But when i hit P, (or even e), it tell sme to select 1-4. However, in plate's guide, it tells me to make them hda5 hda6 and hda7, but i cant, i can only do hda2 hda3 and hda4...any help would be great. Thanks
goanuj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Dual boot: win2k and gentoo Reply with quote

I have set up my boot.ini as in step 7. However there is one problem that is really annoying me. Whenever I reboot from Windows either startup or shutdown, when I choose Gentoo 1.4 from the windows boot manager, it locks up. I have to physically reset the machine (a little button that one needs a paperclip) to depress and then upon the next boot, I am able to load up the grub boot manager. This consistently happens every time I am in windows and then shutdown/restart and then try to boot up gentoo. When I am in gentoo and choose to restart I do not have these problems at the next startup.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Do you think it may have something to do with grub thinking it is on hd0? In my setup, grub is located on hd2.

Quote:
One thing to note: grub thinks that since it is being booted then the drive it is on must be (hd0) instead of (hd?), I still needed to re-map the the drives in grub (to what they actually were) to boot windows. Gentoo still regards itself as being on (hd1) although grub thinks the same drive is (hd0).
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

effektz: Can't see why you wouldn't be able to add extended partitions, but unless you want to create more partitions than the default three for Gentoo you can use primary partitions, too.

goanuj: Looks like Windows isn't reinitialising your hardware properly when you do a restart as opposed to a complete shutdown. I think it's time I added a sentence to my slightly dated routine that you shouldn't follow it at all if you install Linux and Windows on separate disks. There's no need to even think about tweaking the NT boot loader if you don't have both OS on the same disk, you know... Check Darth_Daver's Howto, that's a much more appropriate way of doing it in cases like yours.
goanuj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: seperate disks or partitions? Reply with quote

plate wrote:
goanuj: Looks like Windows isn't reinitialising your hardware properly when you do a restart as opposed to a complete shutdown. I think it's time I added a sentence to my slightly dated routine that you shouldn't follow it at all if you install Linux and Windows on separate disks. There's no need to even think about tweaking the NT boot loader if you don't have both OS on the same disk, you know...

here is the output of my fdisk -l, so should I or should I not use the NT boot loader? I would like to use it because it makes my life a bit easier so that I will not have to install grub on my root(boot ?) parition, I have a feeling that will be quite difficult and I may have to repartition which I do NOT want to do.

Code:

Disk /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 12.0 GB, 12072517632 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1467 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1   *         1       645   5180931    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2           646       895   2008125    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3           896      1467   4594590    5  Extended
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5           896       908    104391   83  Linux
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6           909       948    321268+  82  Linux swap
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7           949      1467   4168836   83  Linux
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I wouldn't use it myself any longer. There's no real benefit from using the NT loader other than its familiarity with long-term Windows users. The GRUB is safe, it doesn't corrupt your drive, it's not complicated at all, and you definitely don't need to repartition. That guide I wrote applied to only one of my machines that was booting Windows by default at the time, but every other dual- or triple-boot PC I've set up since then uses the GRUB. With the erratic shutdown behaviour of Windows that your machine displays chances are you'll be better of with the GRUB. But at the end of the day, as was said in this thread a long time ago. it really doesn't matter all that much... It's a question of personal preference, not a technical necessity.
sebo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to thank the author for this interesting thread. However, I do have an issue going on when using it.
I do have the same repartition disk:

Code:

Disk /dev/hda : 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16865 * 512 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      2550  20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2          2551      4865  18595237+   f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5          2551      2563    104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda6          2564      2691   1028128+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7          2692      4865  17462623+  83  Linux

I followed the installation process up to chapter 17 where I modified the /etc/fstab file as follows:
Code:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It is safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs>           <mount point>   <type>   <opts>          <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.

/dev/hda5           /boot       ext2    noauto,noatime    1 2
/dev/hda7           /           ext3    noatime         0 1
/dev/hda6           none        swap    sw              0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660    noauto,ro       0 0
proc                /proc       proc    defaults        0 0

When I arrive to chapter 23 of the installation guide, I wrote:
Code:

#grub
grub> root (hd0,4)
grub> setup (hd0,4)
grub> quit

then I followed steps 5, 6 and 7 of the thread.

Now...I have a boot selection window just as I want. However, when I select Gentoo Linux, I boot enters into grub. I get the grub prompt...

Do you guys have any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: