Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyarsa wrote:
Yes, that is a problem. Searches on words of 3 or less characters are not supported. Has anyone found a way around this?

The only way around this is to start indexing words with less than 4 characters. That would dramatically increase the size of the database, place a huge hit on the CPU and increase search times like you wouldn't believe. Basically, not a good idea. If, however, someone wants to donate a quad-proc Xeon box with 4GB of RAM, we'll be happy to start indexing all sorts of things. :)

In the mean time, I've placed a sticky topic in this forum about the topic. I've resisted doing that for a while because, well, I don't know why. But, it's there now. :)

--kurt
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt,

It would be good to have a "Read me first" forum that is pulls out sticky FAQ-type issues in each forum into a separate, easily identifiable (hopefully) location. I guess we have quite a few fora already, but this would reduce the clutter in others.

I'm sure there have been suggestions along these lines somewhere, but could not find them through a search :).
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe on the search page, have a few links like "Click here for problems with su" that points to the FAQ and su threads - and perhaps a few others that point to other really common problems with short keywords.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking out the last few posts and creating a new thread in Gentoo Forums.

One of the things I'm looking at is a way to leverage the existing phpBB FAQ (the one in the nav bar at the top of this page) to include gentoo-specific items. If anyone has any experience or knows of a mod, please either reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks.

--kurt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
One of the things I'm looking at is a way to leverage the existing phpBB FAQ

The format of the FAQ itself is relatively straightforward: each entry reads
Code:
$faq[] = array( "question", "answer" );

...and using "--" as a question makes a section break.

What the file attachment mod does is to add one function call to faq.php to effectively include lang_faq_attach.php. You could add a similar line to include lang_faq_gentoo.php, and then make a lang_english/lang_faq_gentoo.php file in this format. This approach would add one new file, while only adding one line to a standard phpBB file, which hopefully wouldn't present too ominous a burden when upgrading.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we now have the nascent beginnings of a gentoo FAQ in these forums. Folks are invited to submit new question/answer pairs by posting to this thread.

--kurt
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need DEVFS suppourt in my kernel? Yes. Been seeing this one a lot lately. And of course, Why can't I su? Add your user to wheel.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

data_the_android wrote:
Do I need DEVFS suppourt in my kernel? Yes. Been seeing this one a lot lately. And of course, Why can't I su? Add your user to wheel.

OK, maybe I should have explicitly stated, "Read the FAQ before submitting new questions." :) The devfs question isn't in there (yet), but the su question is the first one listed. In fact, that's what prompted this whole thing to begin with. :)

--kurt
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops. Sorry about that.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$faq[] = array( "How do I enable devfs?", "Turn on 'Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers' under 'Code maturity level options', and then look under 'File systems' for '/dev file system support'." );

rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: GRUB doc pointers Reply with quote

Quote:
$faq[] = array( "Where can I find more information about GRUB?", "In addition to the description in <a href=\"http://gentoo.org/doc/build.html\">the Gentoo build instructions</a>, <a href=\"http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/index.html\">the GRUB manual</a> and <a href=\"http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html\">the GRUB FAQ</a> are also available online." );

masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't a very general question, but it's one that pops up over and over and over in the laptops forum. BTW: Where is this elusive sticky FAQ post that klieber was referring to?
Quote:
$faq[] = array( "How do I get my orinoco card and pcmcia-cs to play nicely?", "Step 1: Configure your kernel withOUT PCMCIA/Cardbus support and withOUT support for your network card then compile your kernel.<br>
Step 2: emerge pcmcia-cs <br>
Step 3: Double check the following files to make sure they are set for your network conditions: /etc/init.d/net and /etc/conf.d/pcmcia <br>
Step 4: Reboot and perform the following commands: insmod pcmcia_core <br> insmod i82365 <br> insmod ds <br> cardmgr -f <br>
Step 5: Step 4 should have brought your networking to life. To get networking on boot add the modules that you manually insmod'ed to the file /etc/modules.autoload <br> Please note that this answer was basically plagerized from a post by marthisdil in<a href=\"https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7982\">this thread.</a>" );

Last edited by masseya on Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
BTW: Where is this elusive sticky FAQ post that klieber was referring to?

There is no sticky post -- where did I say there was one? Bad me!

This is the only post I mean to refer to. This is where new FAQs should get posted.

Quote:
$faq[] = array( "How do I get my orinoco card and pcmcia-cs to play nicely?", "Step 1: Configure your kernel withOUT PCMCIA/Cardbus support and withOUT support for your network card then compile your kernel.<br>
Step 2: emerge pcmcia-cs <br>
Step 3: Double check the following files to make sure they are set for your network conditions: /etc/init.d/net and /etc/conf.d/pcmcia <br>
Step 4: Reboot and perform the following commands: insmod pcmcia_core <br> insmod i82365 <br> insmod ds <br> cardmgr -f <br>
Step 5: Step 4 should have brought your networking to life. To get networking on boot add the modules that you manually insmod'ed to the file /etc/modules.autoload <br> Please note that this answer was basically plagerized from a post by marthisdil in<a href="https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7982">this thread.</a>" );

Thanks -- I'll add this. One request to make my life easier; please remember to escape your " marks. Otherwise, php complains. :) So, instead of:
Code:
<a href="http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7982">this thread.</a>"

it should be:
Code:
<a href=\"http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7982\">this thread.</a>"

--kurt
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

In the mean time, I've placed a sticky topic in this forum about the topic. I've resisted doing that for a while because, well, I don't know why. But, it's there now. :)

--kurt

That was from the first post in this thread. I still don't quite understand where all the stuff is being posted though. It's kinda neat to have a single place where we can refer people to get answers to simple questions, but I'm too blind to find it. :oops:

Also, I'll remember to backslash my quotes in future posts. I'll edit the other one to reflect this as well, but I'm not sure it will matter now. ;)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
That was from the first post in this thread. I still don't quite understand where all the stuff is being posted though. It's kinda neat to have a single place where we can refer people to get answers to simple questions, but I'm too blind to find it. :oops:

It's being posted in the FAQ section of the forums. Scroll up to the top of this page and click on the "FAQ" link next to the "Search" link.

--kurt
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a government operation! It was hiding right out in the open!!
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: I can't boot from the CD. Is there another way to get it to work or a boot floppy?

A: Yes, see this thread for tips on how to get around the CD not booting, or installing from a boot disk.

That one seems to come up about twice a day. :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty sweet document! Here's your Q&A in the happy formatting that gives much love to phpBB:
Quote:
$faq[] = array( "I can't boot from the CD. Is there a way to get it to work on a boot floppy?", "Yes, see <a href=\"https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8690\">this thread</a> in the documentation forum for tips on how to get around the CD not booting or installing from a boot disk." );

klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
That's a pretty sweet document! Here's your Q&A in the happy formatting that gives much love to phpBB:

Ah yes, I love it when people make my job easier. :)

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before someone else points out the obvious, the FAQ section is already starting to get a lot of questions. I'm aware of that and will organize it better as it continues to grow. We're also working on making a better FAQ system for phpBB, period. (well, dioxmat is actually doing the heavy lifting. I'm just standing on the sidelines and making demands about requirements. :))

--kurt
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you thought I wouldnt see that hum ? :)))
anyway, if someone has ideas, tell me. it will be db-driven, with multiple languages support and hopefully very well integrated into phpbb, with only modifications to faq.php and the database structure (will add 2 tables).
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question that is constantly popping up and should have a single reference somewhere is "When is the next version of Gentoo Linux comming out?" I don't really know how to address this one. I know that we'll see this question even hours after 1.4 is released about the '1.5 release' or whatever is comming up next. Any thoughts about how to have a reference for this and quell a little bit of the rumor mill?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
Another question that is constantly popping up and should have a single reference somewhere is "When is the next version of Gentoo Linux comming out?" I don't really know how to address this one.

The only correct answer to this question is always, "when it's ready". That may be useless as an answer, but so is postulating on when the next release of gentoo will come out. (There are some occasions, such as LWCE for 1.4, when release dates are announced ahead of time, but those are more the exception than the rule)

--kurt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$faq[] = array( "How can I get my newly installed daemon to start at boot time?", "Generally, all you need to do is run <code># rc-update add daemonname default</code>. <a href=\"http://gentoo.org/doc/rc-scripts.html\">The init system documentation</a> has more details." );

$faq[] = array( "Why am I getting segfaults and lockups with Gentoo? I've run other OSes and distros on this hardware with no problem.", "Gentoo is more demanding on hardware than most operating systems, because of the large amount of compiling involved. A Gentoo installation, especially from stage 1, may uncover latent hardware problems that have gone unnoticed until now. If you are overclocking your CPU, try running it at its rated speed. Try setting RAM timings in your BIOS to vendor default settings. Make sure your RAM is compatible with your motherboard. See <a href=\"http://bitwizard.nl/sig11/\">the sig11 FAQ</a> for additional (some dated) tips." );

$faq[] = array( "Why is my computer rebooting immediately on startup?", "It is probably trying to execute an instruction that it can't understand. If this is happening when booting from the install CD, make sure that the ISO image is the correct one for your CPU. If immediate restarts happen when you are booting a newly compiled kernel, make sure that the CPU setting under 'Processor type and features' in your kernel configuration matches your actual hardware. Despite the '6' in the name, an AMD K6 cannot run i686 binaries and must be treated as an i586." );

rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dioxmat wrote:
if someone has ideas, tell me. it will be db-driven, with multiple languages support

Apologies if this is too obvious to mention, but if you plan to (eventually?) support languages with different character sets, it may be difficult to mix multiple languages in the same MySQL table (AFAIK, one table = one charset), so having the ability to have separate tables for separate languages might be needed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: