Embedded Handbook Modifications
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Embedded Handbook Modifications Reply with quote

I've had some help over the last several weeks on setting up my cross compiler. What I learned in the process was the Gentoo Embedded Handbook is woefully of out of date. If I know whom to send proposed revisions to, I'll try to take what I learned and modify the existing HTML documentation and send my proposed changes where directed.

Would someone speak up and advise where I should direct the proposed revisions?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlpoole,

The handbooks are produced in xml and translated to html 'on the fly' as users load the pages.
To submit a patch, do an anon checkout ot the gentoo documents, keep a copy of the original, fix the xml then post a patch to bugs.gentoo.org. This may help so will
Code:
emerge xmlcopyeditor
do set USE="guidexml" first, so you get the template files too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I followed the advice above. (The XML tree for documentation is no small staging.)

I ran into a serious problem using the suggested XML editor on the AMD64 platform, when I clicked my mouse in edit pane it just crashes. It's most likely my AMD64 configuration, there are other indicators from cross-compiling that I have something misconfigured. So I probably need to re-emerge the editor with debugging so I can either ferret out the problem or provide meaningful information in a Bug. And all this takes time which I will have more of in the next few weeks, but have not had for last several months.

I am on of the principal engineers for the XML documentation at Oracle for Applications and Fusion; we use Arbortext Editor (formerly known as Epic Editor or Adept). For the decade I've been working in the area I've come to learn that if you have an iron-clad system that looks great on paper, sometimes it can be so complex to work with it becomes a major effort just to get something out the door. The documentation for Gentoo appears to be a very carefully thought out and planned machine. Yet, when someone like me has to go through hours of time to help out, my ability to contribute is diminished and at the end of the day, what I might contribute is not shared with others. It seems to me something that could integrate into Gentoo's documentation system that makes it easier to contribute is warranted. You have an acknowledged stale documentation posted, e.g. the Gentoo Embedded Handbook, and someone who's spent a couple of hours trying to rectify that with nothing to show for it.

I'll keep trying.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: