View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Out of hd space compiling X Reply with quote

I got Gentoo up on this old P100/64MB system with a 1.2 GB hard drive, using the handy tomsrtbt floppy (worked great). After deleting everything in /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage, I was left with 44% of my 1 GB root partition free. I did an emerge fluxbox, since that is just about the best wm I think this machine can handle. After about three hours, emerge failed, still working on xfree86, on an out of disk space error. df reported 100% usage. After clearing those two directories again, I was back to 56% usage, and a quick du --max-depth=2 -h / revealed that most of my usage is in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/src (linux kernel), and /lib. Do I just rm -r /usr/src/linux to delete the kernel source, or will this break something? Also, how else can I trim the fat off the gentoo "base linux system" so that I have enough space to compile X?

On a completely different note, what tool can I use to break open an iso?
ZagiFlyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the disk space problem:
Try emerging X, then the WM, etc., individually. Remove distfiles and clear /usr/tmp between steps. You might just not have enough space though.

For removing kernel sources, I think you should 'emerge unmerge' the source package.

--Ben Franklin
markpmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ ZagiFlyer. I had the same issue w/ a 1.5 gig partition. Cleaning out distfiles and usr/tmp/portage helped alot. Emerging X and then emerging WindowMaker got me past my space issues. But I still got very close during the compile. Remember that if an emerge errors out, then /usr/tmp/portage will need to cleaned up.

I do agree w/ your "trim the fat" comment.Some where along the way Sendmail was installed on my system <shrug>. I've yet to figure out how to inventory my system so I can attack some of the fat. The portage manual sticks to emerging/demerging, but not much on general package management/inventory.

Mark
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't remember where i saw this, but somewhere there is an option to get rid of temporary files (like .o files) as soon as they are no longer needed. it may be a make option, maybe that you can set in make.conf. I think i saw it in the gentoo docs somewhere. you should check there.

-ewen
strc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also free up space by getting rid of stuff in /usr/portage/distfiles, where compressed source for packages is kept. I've deleted a bunch of packages from there, and it didn't break anything - it actually helped me emerge things that wouldn't emerge before!

Anyway, that should free up a few hundred megs.
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Binary X install? Reply with quote

OK, update: I've removed everything possible from the hard drive, all source, tmp files, and I still don't have enough space to compile X (apparently it takes more than 600 MB to install a 90 MB binary!!) So I tried to install a binary distribution of XFree86. I downloaded the binary XFree86 4.2.0 release from xfree86.org and used their Xinstall.sh script to install. Then I did XFree86 -configure, which failed with many unresolved symbols errors. The resulting XF86Config file had entries for 59 monitors and 21 video cards. What went wrong? How else can I install a binary version of X?
toliman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive done this successfully on a laptop with 1.3gb partition, so it is possible. ive done it 3x, so its very possible, however it is difficult.

the installer takes up ~760MB of space (i was running watch in another console window to keep tabs on the size so i could clear some space and unmerge other packages if need be), and takes about 5-6 hours on my K6-2 400mhz, so don't be complaining.

To do this, i had to unmerge the gentoo-sources, delete the /usr/portage/distfiles contents, the /var/tmp folder before installing. run 'emerge xfree -f ' to fetch the files and delete all 3 of the XF420 src files after 'emerge xfree' has unpacked al the files and started compiling, (you can do this by logging into a new console with ssh/ctrl+alt+F2 / windows keys. to keep an eye on the progress) and don't delete all the files in /distfiles, or else it fails at the end because it cannot find one of the font anti-aliasing patches and/or freetype in the distfiles directory towards the end. be forewarned.

i'm totally aware of the incredulity of needing 700mb to install a 100-120mb package, GCC 3 (when installing GCJ) is the same.

maybe somewhere, someday soon, someone will have made binaries for distribution for the core essentials that are precompiled/gcc3 optimized for p3/athlon/p4 systems, including binary versions of al the deps needed for gnome2 /kde3 installs.

now i have problems with docbook-sgml-utils for gnome, but can't win them all
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to desktop forums.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: