View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: VERY slow USB flash drive write speed.. on 2 Gentoo systems Reply with quote

I've got one laptop and one desktop computer with Gentoo.
On my laptop I have Windows XP SP3 as well installed.
My USB flash drives - formatted FAT32 (I've got a bunch of them ranging from 4GB to 32GB) are INSANELY slow on Gentoo.. the speed is ranging from 50KB/sec up to 1MB/sec..
What is going on ???

I've read about FAT32 and sync problem.. I've tried mounting the USB with these commands:

mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/local/USBFlash/ -o noauto,user,noatime,exec
mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/local/USBFlash/ -o async

and there's no difference.

When I copy files with MC or Krusader, it behaves the same. It starts doing some kind of caching with 50-80MB/sec, and if the file is small it shows that transfer is complete. However if I unmount the drive, it will take a long time to unmount it..
If the file is larger (about 500MB and up), it will finish caching after few hundred megs, then the speed drops very fast, until a few hundred KB/sec... going up and down a bit.
I think the issue is this caching.. but I don't know who is doing it? How do I disable it?
I've had this problem since forever changed may kernels and other things in my systems.. but I was too lazy to open a topic here.. but now here I am.. I've had enough and I need to fix it :)
BTW, the USBs are working fine in Windows .. several MB/sec write speed, up to 15MB/sec.. depending on which USB flash drive I'm using.
Anyone willing to help, please?
How the hell do I need to mount a USB flash drive to get decent speeds ???
I don't seem to have this problem with my WD Passport 500GB USB hard drive.. it is formatted NTFS, though.. and I use ntfs-3g to mount that.

Last edited by MarcusXP on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: VERY slow USB flash drive transfer.. on 2 Gentoo systems Reply with quote

MarcusXP wrote:
I've got one laptop and one desktop computer with Gentoo.
On my laptop I have Windows XP SP3 as well installed.
My USB flash drives - formatted FAT32 (I've got a bunch of them ranging from 4GB to 32GB) are INSANELY slow on Gentoo.. the speed is ranging from 50KB/sec up to 1MB/sec..
What is going on ???

I've read about FAT32 and sync problem.. I've tried mounting the USB with these commands:

mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/local/USBFlash/ -o noauto,user,noatime,exec
mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/local/USBFlash/ -o async

and there's no difference.

When I copy files with MC or Krusader, it behaves the same. It starts doing some kind of caching with 50-80MB/sec, and if the file is small it shows that transfer is complete. However if I unmount the drive, it will take a long time to unmount it..
If the file is larger (about 500MB and up), it will finish caching after few hundred megs, then the speed drops very fast, until a few hundred KB/sec... going up and down a bit.
I think the issue is this caching.. but I don't know who is doing it? How do I disable it?
I've had this problem since forever changed may kernels and other things in my systems.. but I was too lazy to open a topic here.. but now here I am.. I've had enough and I need to fix it :)
BTW, the USBs are working fine in Windows .. several MB/sec write speed, up to 15MB/sec.. depending on which USB flash drive I'm using.
Anyone willing to help, please?
How the hell do I need to mount a USB flash drive to get decent speeds ???

I don't seem to have this problem with my WD Passport 500GB USB hard drive.. it is formatted NTFS, though.. and I use ntfs-3g to mount that.

stick one of drives in and run 'usbview' . What device speed does it show ?
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pops-up a window with my usb devices/controllers.
I located the USB flash drive and here's the info about it:

Code:
Flash Disk
Manufacturer: USB 2.0
Serial Number: ff14cd65082129
Speed: 480Mb/s (high)
USB Version:  2.00
Device Class: 00(>ifc )
Device Subclass: 00
Device Protocol: 00
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 64
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor Id: 1307
Product Id: 0163
Revision Number:  1.00

Config Number: 1
   Number of Interfaces: 1
   Attributes: 80
   MaxPower Needed:  80mA

Interface Number: 0
      Name: usb-storage
      Alternate Number: 0
      Class: 08(stor.)
      Sub Class: 06
      Protocol: 50
      Number of Endpoints: 3

Endpoint Address: 01
         Direction: out
         Attribute: 2
         Type: Bulk
         Max Packet Size: 512
         Interval: 125us

Endpoint Address: 82
         Direction: in
         Interval: 0ms

Endpoint Address: 83
         Attribute: 3
         Type: Int.
         Max Packet Size: 64
         Interval: 16ms
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need to know the correct mount command for USB flash drives formatted with FAT32... if there is a correct command.
This is driving me crazy...
strummer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem.. I'm copying music (~2GB) to a flash drive.. Earlier it took 3-5 minutes, now 25-30.
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having this problem?
I don't think we're the only ones.. we are nubs and we don't know how to configure it probably..
I'll try formatting the USB flash drives to NTFS.. maybe it will make a difference..
coptang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having EXACTLY this problem. Word for word as you describe it in your first post. Burst of activity at the start then down to kb/s for the rest of the transfer. CPU usage spikes to 100% while this is occurring but seems to be single threaded as it jumps around the cores. Makes no difference whether I use nautilus, konqueror or cp.

I've upgraded my box to a core i7 (not just to try to fix this ;-p), upgraded kernels, been through the gentoo usb guide to ensure that all I need is compiled in.

usbview shows:
Code:
U3 Cruzer Micro
Manufacturer: SanDisk
Serial Number: 1740031B8442FC92
Speed: 480Mb/s (high)
USB Version:  2.00
Device Class: 00(>ifc )
Device Subclass: 00
Device Protocol: 00
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 64
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor Id: 0781
Product Id: 5406
Revision Number:  2.00

Config Number: 1
   Number of Interfaces: 1
   Attributes: 80
   MaxPower Needed: 200mA

Interface Number: 0
      Name: usb-storage
      Alternate Number: 0
      Class: 08(stor.)
      Sub Class: 06
      Protocol: 50
      Number of Endpoints: 2

Endpoint Address: 81

Endpoint Address: 02
         Direction: out

lsusb:
Code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0781:5406 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro 4GB Flash Drive
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

Happy to provide any info at all that may help to pin this down because it's been affecting me for a while as well.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any errors showing up in dmesg? I have a few of the 8 gig versions of that card (cruiser micro) and they don't seem to have this issue. All of mine are ext3 though to keep file permissions, maybe try re-formatting one to ext3 just to see if it helps (even if you don't intend to keep it that way)
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try your suggestion (formatting to ext3).

For now, I've formatted a Kingston DataTraveler 150 32GB to NTFS.

I copied using Krusader and it's doing almost same thing.. with some differences:

1. caching with 50-70MB/sec for about 500-600MB and then the speed drops to about 15-17MB/sec (btw, looks the write speed of this flash drive is really good, I get similar speeds in Windows, about 12-15MB/sec, too)
2. after 10-20 seconds after it stabilized around 16MB/sec, the write process stops unexpectedly. the drive gets moved to a different letter! for example from /dev/sde1 it will become /dev/sdf1 !
If I mount again /dev/sdf1 and I do the same thing all over again, I get same results. but this time, the flash drive will be seen as /dev/sde1 again.
Looks like the USB speed is too fast for it or something ?!

The drive is mounted using ntfs-3g:
Code:
 ntfs-3g /dev/sde1 /mnt/local/USBflash

ntfs-3g version installed is latest available at this time:
Code:
Marcus ~ # emerge -av ntfs3g
WARNING: One or more repositories have missing repo_name entries:

/usr/local/portage/profiles/repo_name

NOTE: Each repo_name entry should be a plain text file containing a
unique name for the repository on the first line.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-fs/ntfs3g-2009.4.4

I tried mounting with this command:
Code:
 ntfs-3g /dev/sde1 /mnt/local/USBflash -o async

but now I get worst results.. caching is being done as usual, and then the speeds drops further to about 1MB-4MB/sec, going up and down.. sometimes even less than 1MB/sec.. looks like it's killing the partition table?! so I stopped it pretty fast..

I also tried mounting with ntfs write support from kernel.. but I can't write there, as I don't have permissions of some kind, even if I'm root..

here, I show that /dev/sde1 is mounted with (rw) permissions, but then I cannot create a folder there.. why?

Quote:

Marcus CD1 # mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/local/USBFlash/

Marcus CD1 # mount | grep USB
/dev/sde1 on /mnt/local/USBFlash type ntfs (rw)

Marcus CD1 # mkdir /mnt/local/USBFlash/test
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/local/USBFlash/test': Operation not permitted

Any ideas, guys? How can we make a USB flash drive to work decently on Gentoo?
I can't tell you how annoying this is.. I am trying really hard to stop using Windows, but it seems that some things are easier in Windows, and just work..
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the last lines from result of dmesg:

Code:
 sdd: sdd1                                                                                                                                             
sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through                                                                                                   
sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk                                                                                                                   
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8                                                                                         
usb 1-7: New USB device found, idVendor=0951, idProduct=1621                                                                                           
usb 1-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3                                                                                       
usb 1-7: Product: DataTraveler 150                                                                                                                     
usb 1-7: Manufacturer: Kingston                                                                                                                         
usb 1-7: SerialNumber: 0018F3D97D185B8C121400D0                                                                                                         
usb 1-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice                                                                                                         
scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices                                                                                                     
usb-storage: device found at 8                                                                                                                         
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning                                                                                               
scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 150 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS                                                                       
sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg20 type 0                                                                                                           
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] 63037440 512-byte logical blocks: (32.2 GB/30.0 GiB)                                                                                 
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off                                                                                                                 
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00                                                                                                               
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through                                                                                                   
usb-storage: device scan complete                                                                                                                       
 sde: sde1                                                                                                                                             
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk                                                                                                         
usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 8                                                                                                                     
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Unhandled error code                                                                                                                 
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK                                                                                       
end_request: I/O error, dev sde, sector 15784000                                                                                                       
__ratelimit: 22 callbacks suppressed                                                                                                                   
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971992                                                                                                 
lost page write due to I/O error on sde1                                                                                                               
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971993                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971994                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971995                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971996                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971997                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971998                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1971999                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1972000                                                                                                 
Buffer I/O error on device sde1, logical block 1972001                                                                                                 
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Unhandled error code                                                                                                                 
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK                                                                                 
end_request: I/O error, dev sde, sector 15784240                                                                                                       
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9                                                                                         
scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 9
scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 150 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg20 type 0
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] 63037440 512-byte logical blocks: (32.2 GB/30.0 GiB)
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Write Protect is off
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sdf: sdf1
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Attached SCSI removable disk
usb 1-7: USB disconnect, address 9
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Unhandled error code
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 15493760
__ratelimit: 50 callbacks suppressed
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935712
lost page write due to I/O error on sdf1
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935713
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935714
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935715
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935716
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935717
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935718
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935719
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935720
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1935721
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Unhandled error code
sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 15494000
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 10
scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 150 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg20 type 0
sd 10:0:0:0: [sde] 63037440 512-byte logical blocks: (32.2 GB/30.0 GiB)
sd 10:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
sd 10:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sd 10:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sde: sde1
sd 10:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk
NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS volume version 3.1.
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor85 wrote:
Are any errors showing up in dmesg? I have a few of the 8 gig versions of that card (cruiser micro) and they don't seem to have this issue. All of mine are ext3 though to keep file permissions, maybe try re-formatting one to ext3 just to see if it helps (even if you don't intend to keep it that way)

by any chance you can format one of your cruiser micro to NTFS or FAT32 and see if you get similar behavior like us?
I would think you should have same behavior, I have tried 3-4 USB flash drives already and similar results here.
One of them is Sandisk Cruzer micro 16GB, btw..
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I formatted that Kingston 32GB to ext3, and then I mounted, and the performance is HORRIBLE!
it started caching until about 580MB (with about 40-50MB/sec), and then the speed dropped dramatically, until less than 1MB/sec (few hundred KB/sec), and sometimes stalling (not even copying).

Is there a special option to mount a USB flash drive, even with ext3, so it will have a decent behavior?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcusXP,

Please post your /proc/bus/usb/devices

Avoid Journelled filesystems on FLASH drives. Writes take much longer as metadata if written to the journal before its written for real. Thats two writes to update metadata. It doesn't do the FLASH life any good either.

FAT ... or ext2 are OK. NTFS, extX >2, rieserfs are bad.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first I am showing the disk configuration:

Code:
Marcus CD1 # fdisk -l
WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: The size of this disk is 7.5 TB (7489349222400 bytes).
DOS partition table format can not be used on drives for volumes
larger than (2199023255040 bytes) for 512-byte sectors. Use parted(1) and GUID
partition table format (GPT).

Disk /dev/sdb: 7489.3 GB, 7489349222400 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 910528 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1      267350  2147483647+  ee  GPT

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdc'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: The size of this disk is 6.0 TB (5997921828864 bytes).
DOS partition table format can not be used on drives for volumes
larger than (2199023255040 bytes) for 512-byte sectors. Use parted(1) and GUID
partition table format (GPT).

Disk /dev/sdc: 5997.9 GB, 5997921828864 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 729205 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1               1      267350  2147483647+  ee  GPT

Disk /dev/sda: 146.7 GB, 146695782400 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 17834 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0xd20a0314

/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14         274     2096482+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3             275       17834   141050700   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdd: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0xcfd784f6

/dev/sdd1               1       60801   488384001    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sde: 32.3 GB, 32275169280 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3923 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x000acb7c

/dev/sde1               1        3923    31511466   83  Linux

/dev/sde is the 32GB Kingston USB flash
/dev/sdd is WD Passport 500GB USB
/dev/sda is HP 146GB 15k SAS drive
/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc just raid arrays for storage (on Adaptec ICP5165BR contrller)
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this is what you asked for:

Code:
Marcus CD1 # cat /proc/bus/usb/devices                       

T:  Bus=05 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0                   
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1     
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0001 Rev= 2.06                           
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.31-gentoo uhci_hcd                   
S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller                                 
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.3                                   
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=  0mA                           
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms                   

T:  Bus=05 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1     
P:  Vendor=0951 ProdID=1621 Rev= 1.10                           
S:  Manufacturer=Kingston                                       
S:  Product=DataTraveler 150                                     
S:  SerialNumber=0018F3D97D185B8C121400D0                       
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA                           
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms                             
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms                             

T:  Bus=04 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.2                                   

T:  Bus=03 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc= 92/900 us (10%), #Int=  7, #Iso=  0                   
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.1                                   

T:  Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  8 Spd=12  MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1     
P:  Vendor=058f ProdID=9254 Rev= 3.12                           
S:  Manufacturer=ALCOR                                           
S:  Product=Generic USB Hub                                     
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=100mA                           
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=255ms                   

T:  Bus=03 Lev=02 Prnt=08 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  9 Spd=12  MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1     
P:  Vendor=046d ProdID=c223 Rev= 1.03                           
S:  Manufacturer=Logitech                                       
S:  Product=Logitech G15 Keyboard                               
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=255ms                   

T:  Bus=03 Lev=03 Prnt=09 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 12 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1     
P:  Vendor=046d ProdID=c221 Rev= 1.70                           
S:  Product=Logitech Gaming Keyboard                             
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=100mA                           
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=10ms                       
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=10ms                       

T:  Bus=03 Lev=03 Prnt=09 Port=03 Cnt=02 Dev#= 13 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
P:  Vendor=046d ProdID=c222 Rev= 1.03
S:  Manufacturer=G15 Keyboard
S:  Product=G15 Keyboard
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  32 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  32 Ivl=1ms

T:  Bus=03 Lev=02 Prnt=08 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 10 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
P:  Vendor=046d ProdID=c041 Rev=46.00
S:  Product=USB Gaming Mouse
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr= 98mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  10 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  20 Ivl=10ms

T:  Bus=03 Lev=02 Prnt=08 Port=02 Cnt=03 Dev#= 11 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=10d5 ProdID=000d Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=No brand
S:  Product=SP02-A1
S:  SerialNumber=0Â
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 96mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=16ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=16ms

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.0

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 8
B:  Alloc=  0/800 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev= 2.06
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.31-gentoo ehci_hcd
S:  Product=EHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.7
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   4 Ivl=256ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#=  7 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
P:  Vendor=1058 ProdID=0705 Rev= 1.75
S:  Manufacturer=Western Digital
S:  Product=External HDD
S:  SerialNumber=57442D57584E583038535543333639
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=4ms
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcusXP,

Your DataTraveller USB FLASH is on a UHCI Port which can do 12 Mbit/sec tops. Its a USB1 device too. If you get a data transfer speed of 1MB/sec, you will be doing well.

Your external HDD is USB2 on your only USB2 root hub.

Do you mount these devices with or without the sync option?
sync is much slower but safer.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
MarcusXP,

Your DataTraveller USB FLASH is on a UHCI Port which can do 12 Mbit/sec tops. Its a USB1 device too. If you get a data transfer speed of 1MB/sec, you will be doing well.

I wonder if this is a story of ehci driver that must be loaded before uhci one (which gentoo boot scripts warn about, but do it wrongly). In the other case uhci driver supposedly may grab
the shared port first and not release it even when USB 2.0 device is plugged in.

For experiment, I would compile ehci and uhci as modules, and remove uhci, leaving just ehci to see what happens.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
MarcusXP,

I am confused how cat /proc/bus/usb/devices output is related to

usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8

in dmesg
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo,

Put the /proc/bus/usb/devices code block into a file and point usbview at the file.
It shows the usb tree.

The first two entries, in the raw, are the data traveller and the root hub its attached to.
Bus=05 Lev=00 and Bus=05 Lev=01
Code:
T:  Bus=05 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.3                                   

T:  Bus=05 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
P:  Vendor=0951 ProdID=1621 Rev= 1.10                           
S:  Manufacturer=Kingston                                       
S:  Product=DataTraveler 150                                     
S:  SerialNumber=0018F3D97D185B8C121400D0                       
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms                             
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms 

Show that the data traveller is a USB 2 device on a USB 1 hub, so it only gets USB1 speeds.
USB view does not show that conflict.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagon

Yes, but dmesg was showing that Data Traveller is on usb1-7 that uses ehci_hcd ? And produces lots of errors ?
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same USB port I put my WD Passport 500GB, and I mounted with:

Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/sdf1 /mnt/local/Passport

I started copying 4.4GB (using Krusader), and it did some kind of caching (with 50-60MB/sec) until like 600-700MB, and then the speed dropped pretty fast until 4-6MB/sec...going up and down between 4MB/sec and 6MB/sec..
Obviously, it is not USB1.1... it cannot go faster than 1.2MB/sec or so, on USB1.1, so it is USB2.0...
So why it gos that slow at writing?! I thought my USB hard drive doesn't have the same problem like my USB flash drives, but actually it looks like it does..
Can anyone test on his computer a similar scenario:
writing 5-10GB of data (consisting in larger files, 700MB+) using Krusader, and see how the writing speed evolves over time?

I would really appreciate your input.. at least I would know if my systems are configured wrongly or it's something else (like a bug in the kernel or something)
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can test on my other(s) gentoo systems as well, but I doubt I will get different results, as they are configured pretty much the same as this one..
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:

For experiment, I would compile ehci and uhci as modules, and remove uhci, leaving just ehci to see what happens.

And you will not be able to boot :)
Cannot boot from an usb device if the device have its driver load by module as ->boot->kernel->drivers->disk->udev->modules
so the usb disk woun't be found because disk test appears before udev is loaded and your usb modules will be load by udev...
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, I am not trying to boot from the USB devices, I just want to use them on my full working system (Gentoo is installed on a 146GB 15k SAS hard drive)
why on Earth I got these weird results/performance? it's gotta be some kind of configuration issue..
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formatted my Kinsgton 32GB to ext2 and I got very similar results.. even of my laptop which is also running Gentoo.
However, on my laptop, the Passport 500GB USB hard drive is performing very good.. after the caching stage when speed is like 50-60MB/sec, the speed gets to about 20-22MB/sec, and really stable, I was able to copy over 50GB of data with that speed, which is good..
So why would my Passport perform so badly on my desktop (which is a quad core Xeon) - up to 5MB/sec, and perform better on my laptop, which is a Core2 Duo (it is a Thinkpad T61P)
And why the Kingston 32GB is performing so bad on both, with any filesystem formatted? I also have Windows XP SP3 installed on my laptop and Kinston 32GB has like 10-15MB/sec write speed for such large files..in exactly the same USB port.
It has to be a reasonable explanation.. I have kernel 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel on my laptop, and 2.6.31-gentoo kernel on my desktop.. would this make any difference?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: