How to Automate the Gentoo Experience
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shgadwa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: How to Automate the Gentoo Experience Reply with quote

If there is one thing that gets people discouraged about Gentoo, I think it is because Gentoo has this attitude of,, "Well, if you want it done... you do it yourself." Whilst that is great when it comes to someone who has the time and wants to learn, its not convenient and it is not good for one who is trying to get things done on gentoo (rather than just play with it).

So, I'm just curious as to how you people do things to automate gentoo a little bit more. Any ideas? I guess I got to learn how to use the vixie cron thing... so far I have not found that many guides on it.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Gentoo Linux Cron Guide?
tbaac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well learning how it works and doing it yourself is kind of one of the points of Gentoo I thought. There are other distributions which are easier to install and run.

:oops: In the past I have grown frustrated with Gentoo and with the amount of time that I've spend "fixing it" as opposed to using it, and I've installed Kubuntu as an easier alternative.

I'm back with Gentoo now and like it very much. I just wonder why if you don't want to get your hands dirty you don't go for Ubuntu or Fedora or similar?

Which parts were you going to automate? Automating updating isn't difficult. But when things go wrong is where things get interesting whether you've automated it or not.

(please don't flame me, the distro question was an honest question).
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat tasks so many times you can do them in your sleep. :P
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I use Gentoo is because I can do everything myself.... not have a bunch of automated garbage attempting to do things for me. I leave such things to distros such as Ubuntu and Fedora which do an excellent job of making things easy and "automated". I'm not really sure what you're interested in or referring to as far as "automated" goes though. You weren't very specific...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: