Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge rsync, system, world -> total update???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: emerge rsync, system, world -> total update??? Reply with quote

Hello,

I think everything works fine now, I'm just waiting for OpenOffice to finish compiling :-). I would like to say Thank You! to all the people involved in this magic...

I have learned a lot installing Gentoo, but I think I have reached my learning limit and now I must go back to my normal use of my computer.

My question now is:
Will my system be completely updated by regularly launching
# emerge rsync
# emerge system
# emerge world
, or do I have to do something more/else?

(Will this upgrade to GCC4 whenever that comes? If yes -will everything be recompiled with GCC4 next time I do rsync/system/world? Will this upgrade and recompile my kernel?)

Another Q is how to know if I configured my kernel in an optimal way for my hardware and use of my computer. That was the most difficult passage in the 1.2 Installation Instructions". Will running "Code listing 25":
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig
(change parameters)
# make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
# mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.orig
# cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
and then reboot be enough?

I have browsed a lot to find answers, but I have always found too much information that I have not understood.

Greatful for any help and hints.

Thanks.

//Erik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge world should update all of the packages in your world file, but it sometimes does not. if you do some searching, you might find a bunch of threads talking about emerge world not completely updating everything, and how to fix that issue.
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, forgot to log in... :roll:
ehj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll try to find them...I'm not just asking for myself :wink:, what if my sister wants to run Gentoo? Lets say I install it and make a nice kde desktop. And then emerge mplayer and open office. If she wants more she'll do the same - then what?

I tell her that every friday evening she should do xyz, and on saturday morning she will have an updated system?

This is as newbie you can get :-).

//Erik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you could tell here to do the emerge -u world and it should update almost everything. there are things that it will not update, but emerge -u system will. i'm not so sure how often it is good to do an emerge -u system. plus, you can always do an emerge -u *package* and that will update as long as there is an update for it and you have rsync'ed recently.
hth.
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i forgot that it is not always the best move to automatically update a package when a new version is out. for example, there have been problems with previous versions of portage. you might want to look at the changelog of the package to see if what was updated in the package is even worth it. you also might want to check the forums to see if there are any known issues for a certain verson of a package.
ps: i forgot to log in again (the above post is me)
ehj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, perhaps I'll come up with a gentoo for dummies based on my own experience :wink:

cu

//Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: