Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] >xorg-server-1.6.2 doesn't start; DBus: "AccessD...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daemonflower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] >xorg-server-1.6.2 doesn't start; DBus: "Ac Reply with quote

With xorg-server-1.6.2.901 and xorg-server-1.6.3 I get the following error when starting X:
Quote:
[config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied (Connection ":1.0" is not allowed to own the service "org.x.config.display0" due to security policies in the configuration file)
(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error (null)

The NVidia splash screen shows up, but after that the screen goes blank. I have no possibility to return to a console and have to hard reset the computer. Very annoying.

The last 1.6.2 version of xorg-server, I think it was 1.6.2-r1, worked. But now it has been removed from portage. I downgraded to 1.5.3 so I can work.

What else? Hm, head /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
Quote:
X.Org X Server 1.6.3
Release Date: 2009-7-31
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux sirius 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 3 14:51:14 CET 2009 x86_64
Build Date: 03 August 2009 01:16:53PM

And yes, I use nvidia-drivers.
Code:
emerge -pv xorg-server

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r7  USE="hal ipv6 kdrive nptl sdl xorg (-3dfx) -debug -dmx -minimal -tslib" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -citron -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -joystick -mutouch -penmount -synaptics -tslib -virtualbox -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia -apm -ark -ast -chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx (-geode) -glint -i128 (-i740) (-impact) (-imstt) -intel -mach64 -mga -neomagic (-newport) -r128 -radeon -radeonhd -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l (-vermilion) -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware -voodoo (-xgi)" 0 kB

Any idea?

Thanks

Last edited by daemonflower on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having that issue once, and I emerged consolekit, added it to the default runlevel and started it, then that message disappeared and X started normally.
daemonflower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, worth a try, but it didn't work. I had the same error.

I'm opening a bug now... But I still would be grateful fony help from the forums.

Edit: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=280443
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... also make sure you're in the video group
Code:
# gpasswd -a <username> video
zsitvaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you upgrade to dbus-1.3.0? It's a beta release, I don't know why it isn't masked.
daemonflower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

root is of course in the video group.

I'll try downgrading dbus. It may take a while until I get around to it though.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reference Implementation (dbus-daemon and libdbus)

The dbus 1.2 stable branch has been split into two streams. The "1.2.4Xpermissive" branch originates from 1.2.4, and maintains the unintended permissive default for messages. Releases after 1.2.4 (1.2.6+) have a default deny. It is intended that the permissive branch only be used temporarily by vendors. For more information, see this mail. The current development version is based on the primary (not permissive) branch: it is expected that vendors will have fixed the problems created by the unintended defaults.

The current primary release is D-Bus 1.2.16. (2009-07-14) The current permissive release is D-Bus 1.2.4.6permissive. (2009-05-06) The current development release is D-Bus 1.3.0 (2009-07-29)

DBus 1.3.0

This release is the current development version of D-Bus. It is in early development cycle and is intended for beta testers. D-Bus 1.3.0 contains new features when compared to 1.2.x that maturing. It is expected that there will be a few more 1.3 releases before this branch is considered stable and released as D-Bus 1.4.0.

Well, I tried downgrading to 1.2.12 with no change. According to the above it is no longer a permissive build. so I downgraded to 1.2.3-r1 but it is worse for me, X still not starting, but I can't switch back to my virtual terminal #1. keyboard is locked up/unresponsive. I had to ssh in to kill it. Restarting dbus and hal again fixed it from locking up. But it still complains about the same security policies in the configuration file.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this
Code:
mv /etc/X11/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d
and it works.

That should grant access, simply because dbus's xorg-server.conf is installed in the wrong place, (at least in xorg-1.6.3).
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of sys-apps/hal are you using? You could try a different version.

Check /var/log/messages for error messages.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a CLI, do the following:
1. /etc/init.d/hald stop && /etc/init.d/dbus stop (stops hal and dbus).
2. emerge -C dbus hal (removes the packages).
3. check for the presence of /etc/dbus-1 and /etc/hal. If they exist, delete them (clears any leftover bad files).
4. delete /var/run/hald.pid and /var/run/dbus.pid (if they exist, this allows hal and dbus to restart normally if this is a pid-related issue).
5. emerge -av hal dbus (re-install packages).
6. rc-update add dbus default && rc-update add hald default (in case there was an issue there).
7. /etc/init.d/dbus start (restarts your should-be-fixed dbus).
8. if this fails, post your /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files, and we'll go from there.

Blessed be!
Pappy
zsitvaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
At a CLI, do the following:
3. check for the presence of /etc/dbus-1 and /etc/hal. If they exist, delete them (clears any leftover bad files).

Are you certain that's a good idea? Other packages install files there as well, not just hal/dbus.

Code:
# equery b $(find /etc/hal -name \*.fdi) $(find /etc/dbus-1 -name \*.conf)
 * Searching for /etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_UJ_840D.fdi,/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs3g.fdi,/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi,/etc/dbus-1/system.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/wpa_supplicant.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/ConsoleKit.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/gnome-power-manager.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/cdemud-dbus.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/newprinternotification.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/avahi-dbus.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.gnome.GConf.Defaults.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/cups.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/powersave.conf,/etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf,/etc/dbus-1/session.conf ...
sys-fs/ntfs3g-2009.3.8 (/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs3g.fdi)
app-admin/system-config-printer-common-1.1.8 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/newprinternotification.conf)
sys-apps/hal-0.5.13-r2 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf)
sys-auth/consolekit-0.3.0-r1 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/ConsoleKit.conf)
net-dns/dnsmasq-2.49 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf)
net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.6.9 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/wpa_supplicant.conf)
net-misc/wicd-1.6.2 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf)
sys-apps/dbus-1.2.12 (/etc/dbus-1/system.conf)
sys-apps/dbus-1.2.12 (/etc/dbus-1/session.conf)
gnome-base/gconf-2.26.2-r1 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.gnome.GConf.Defaults.conf)
net-dns/avahi-0.6.25 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/avahi-dbus.conf)
app-cdr/cdemud-1.1.0-r1 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/cdemud-dbus.conf)
net-print/cups-1.3.11 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/cups.conf)
sys-auth/policykit-0.9-r1 (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.conf)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I told you that so you would crash your computer and I could snidely laugh at your misfortune. :roll:

I don't tell anyone to do anything I haven't done. I have lots of experience doing this kind of thing. Read the entirety of the directions, then ask questions. If you have issues with hal and/or dbus, then this is the way to fix it. I don't have the exact threads off the top of my head, but this is not my first time at this particular rodeo.

Now that I see all that crap, YES, you need to get rid of it all, or put it somewhere safe, as in where it won't mess with the PROPER operation of hal/dbus. One (or lots) of those files is the cause of your issues. Then, if you must have it, you can bring it back an item at a time until you find out what kills everything!

Blessed be!
Pappy
zsitvaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
No, I told you that so you would crash your computer and I could snidely laugh at your misfortune. :roll:

I don't tell anyone to do anything I haven't done. I have lots of experience doing this kind of thing. Read the entirety of the directions, then ask questions. If you have issues with hal and/or dbus, then this is the way to fix it. I don't have the exact threads off the top of my head, but this is not my first time at this particular rodeo.

Now that I see all that crap, YES, you need to get rid of it all, or put it somewhere safe, as in where it won't mess with the PROPER operation of hal/dbus. One (or lots) of those files is the cause of your issues. Then, if you must have it, you can bring it back an item at a time until you find out what kills everything!

Blessed be!
Pappy

Actually, I'm not the topic starter. My system works fine. All I'm saying is that you need to check what other packages install files into those places and re-merge them after hal/dbus. No need to get hostile. This does not have anything to do with how many times you've done this, removing all that without checking _will_ bork the apps relying on them, and it's way easier to get that list before the deed.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hostility. Perhaps I could have said "cruft" instead of "crap", but come on, I am not here to screw up other peoples' machines. I un-screw them. I think I have the record that proves I'm no n00b, nor am I malicious towards others' machines.

So, if one wants to second guess me, that's fine. Ask a lot of other people who haven't done this, and perform all their experiments before you come back to the option that will fix things. It's no skin off of any part of my body. My computers are running just fine, so...whatever...

So, the question remains will the OP actually fix his computer, or will he continue to question my cure?

That's up to him. If me calling the cruft (most likely the cause of the issue) he has stuffed in his dbus or hal directories "crap" is far too much to endure, perhaps he might want to go back to windows. If he wants to work with a version of Linux that has a steep learning curve, then he's going to have to accept someone might think his computer set up is wrong, and might say so in a "harsh" way. I've had others tell me how fried my machines were. Somehow, I remain able to breathe.

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files will regenerate. I did the exact thing I described to one of my own machines, and it still runs. The files came back, at least the ones that were needed.

Blessed be!
Pappy
daemonflower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
So, the question remains will the OP actually fix his computer, or will he continue to question my cure?

I never questioned your proposal. I simply didn't get around to try it yet, because I'm not at my computer right now and won't be until after the weekend.

I'll take zsitvaij's warning as a second voice that says "don't remove anything under /etc, just rename it instead". The voices in my head tell me stuff like that all the time anyway, so I wouldn't have needed that second voice, but thanks for the warning anyway.

Greets!
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried pappy's suggestions to no avail. People on irc helped. It turns out xorg-server-1.6.3 does not install the ~/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf file
I created it from QuLogic's pastebin and dbus stopped complaining.

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf:
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
        <policy context="default">
                <allow own="org.x.config.display0"/>
                <allow send_destination="org.x.config.display0"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.x.config.display0"/>
                <allow own="org.x.config.display1"/>
                <allow send_destination="org.x.config.display1"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.x.config.display1"/>
        </policy>
</busconfig>

xorg-server-1.6.3 is borked for my system. It gives me a bunch of these
Code:
expected keysym, got XF86Battery: line 59 of inet
expected keysym, got ...
and nothing but a blank screen. And nothing reported in xorg's log or dmesg.

I tried downgrading to xorg-server-1.5.3-r7 and it started to give me a screen (frozen) and a few other complaints about things not matching/ compiled for a different version. It also emerged 8 additional packages, font's etc., but I didn't see all the names as they flew by. I'll keep working on it
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
... It turns out xorg-server-1.6.3 does not install the ~/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf file

In fact it does, but in the wrong place. :lol:
Code:
mv /etc/X11/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be reported as a bug.

Blessed be!
Pappy
zsitvaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back, I should have just posted an amended list (changes on italicized lines):
  1. save list of packages that themselves installed their own config files under /etc/dbus-1 and /etc/hal: equery b $(find /etc/hal -name \*.fdi) $(find /etc/dbus-1 -name \*.conf) > equery.txt
  2. emerge --fetch those packages before shutting down dbus (wpa_supplicant, wicd, networkmanager.. depend on it)
  3. /etc/init.d/hald stop && /etc/init.d/dbus stop (stops hal and dbus).
  4. emerge -C dbus hal (removes the packages).
  5. check for the presence of /etc/dbus-1 and /etc/hal. If they exist, move them to a safe place (clears any leftover bad files).
  6. delete /var/run/hald.pid and /var/run/dbus.pid (if they exist, this allows hal and dbus to restart normally if this is a pid-related issue).
  7. emerge -av1 the list of packages in equery.txt (these include dbus and hal)
  8. (optional) move your hand-crafted .fdi files back under /etc/hal so your keyboard/other hardware work correctly.
  9. rc-update add dbus default && rc-update add hald default (in case there was an issue there).
  10. /etc/init.d/dbus start (restarts your should-be-fixed dbus).
  11. if this fails, post your /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files, and we'll go from there.

There. I didn't mean to say "oh god don't do that, my brother died that way". Just that there were additional steps that were required for safety. :)

On dbus 'regenerating' its needed .conf files: that's not what happens. If equery reports a file to belong to some other package, dbus has nothing to do with it. If you agree with that, you needn't read the rest of the post, it only elaborates on that, and is somewhat off-topic.

I did a step by step of your original list. The result was no network, because wicd needed its and wpa_supplicant's .conf files under /etc/dbus-1, and no graphical login, because consolekit needed its own as well. If I did not have the files fetched already, I would have had a harder time. Dbus does not regenerate these files. Other stuff failed to run as well. An excerpt from /var/log/messages:
Code:
Aug  8 06:38:24 balthazar avahi-daemon[2864]: avahi-daemon 0.6.25 starting up.
Aug  8 06:38:24 balthazar avahi-daemon[2864]: dbus_bus_request_name(): Connection ":1.11" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.Avahi" due to security policies in the configuration file
Aug  8 06:38:24 balthazar avahi-daemon[2864]: WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.
Aug  8 06:38:24 balthazar /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon[2853]: ERROR: avahi-daemon failed to start
Aug  8 06:38:24 balthazar /etc/init.d/avahi-dnsconfd[2867]: ERROR: cannot start avahi-dnsconfd as avahi-daemon would not start
[...]
Aug  8 06:38:25 balthazar cdemud[2879]: cdemud: cdemud_daemon_initialize: failed to request name on system bus!
Aug  8 06:38:25 balthazar cdemud[2879]: Daemon initialization failed: Name request on D-BUS failed.
Aug  8 06:38:25 balthazar /etc/init.d/cdemud[2868]: ERROR: cdemud failed to start
Aug  8 06:38:25 balthazar /etc/init.d/cupsd[2881]: ERROR: cannot start cupsd as avahi-daemon would not start
[...]
Aug  8 06:38:42 balthazar kdm: :0[2906]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 0
Aug  8 06:38:42 balthazar kdm: :0[2906]: Client start failed
Aug  8 06:38:42 balthazar kdm: :0[2906]: Cannot close ConsoleKit session: Unable to close session: no session open
Aug  8 06:38:42 balthazar console-kit-daemon[3041]: WARNING: Failed to acquire org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit: Connection ":1.16" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" due to security policies in the configuration file
Aug  8 06:38:42 balthazar console-kit-daemon[3041]: WARNING: Could not acquire name; bailing out

Some of the needed .conf files ship with the tarballs of the packages themselves, some are only added under the package's 'files' directory in the portage tree. Usually, all are needed for the package to work correctly: if they wouldn't need to modify dbus policy, they wouldn't be shipped.

And on /etc/hal: since xorg-server 1.5 or so, configuring keyboard layout (amongst other things..) is no longer possible in xorg.conf, and must be done as an .fdi file that hal reads. This is crafted by the user, and removing /etc/hal makes it necessary to create it again, if it wasn't saved.

These are not theoretical issues, they all arose when following your instructions verbatim.

Arguably, console/policy/etckit are just overengineered/underdocumented frameworks for breaking stuff that worked flawlessly before and I'm just asking for trouble by using them, but hey, another technology from the bowels of gnome that kde adopted! Neat, huh. :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours looks better than mine. As long as it works, that's all that matters.

Blessed be!
Pappy
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I tried moving a system to xorg-server-1.6.3 and ran into these problems and more. In addition to some sort of "access denied" error as mentioned here, I noticed some sort of infinite loop with udevd/evdev/hald trying to attach my mouse and keyboard, failing, and trying again under the next higher event number. I undid all of my stuff, moving back to xorg-server-1.5.3, and this still happened. After another reboot, the infinite looping was going, but I've lost my mouse. (This is a laptop plugged into a port replicator, and the mouse plugged into that PS2 port is still dead, though the keyboard plugged into the same port still works.) The system now has xdm turned off, and I ssh in and use it as a server.

This has been my first chance to search in more depth, and I found my way to this article. Has anyone else seen similar symptoms - event looping, or failure to return to full functionality the the stable xorg-server-1.5.3?

Incidentally, I didn't just upgrade to xorg-server-1.6.3, it took marking something like 3-5 other packages as ~amd64, then issued a message that I needed to rebuild all of my drivers against the new server. I did these steps for both up and downgrade.

What I really want this for is my Myth Box. It has an nVidia 8400GS and I'm having overscan problems. Though MythTV can scale on it's own, for other reasons I want to use Xephyr to get a "fullscreen" that's not overscanned. But Xephyr requires kdrive, which will only build against x86 for nvidia-drivers with xorg-server-1.5.3. With xorg-server-1.6.3 kdrive will build against amd64 for everything. I'm under the impression that vdpau works with Xephyr, if that's the only instance of its usage.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsitvaij wrote:
Looking back, I should have just posted an amended list (changes on italicized lines):
  1. save list of packages that themselves installed their own config files under /etc/dbus-1 and /etc/hal: equery b $(find /etc/hal -name \*.fdi) $(find /etc/dbus-1 -name \*.conf) > equery.txt
  2. emerge --fetch those packages before shutting down dbus (wpa_supplicant, wicd, networkmanager.. depend on it)
  3. /etc/init.d/hald stop && /etc/init.d/dbus stop (stops hal and dbus).
  4. emerge -C dbus hal (removes the packages).
  5. check for the presence of /etc/dbus-1 and /etc/hal. If they exist, move them to a safe place (clears any leftover bad files).
  6. delete /var/run/hald.pid and /var/run/dbus.pid (if they exist, this allows hal and dbus to restart normally if this is a pid-related issue).
  7. emerge -av1 the list of packages in equery.txt (these include dbus and hal)
  8. (optional) move your hand-crafted .fdi files back under /etc/hal so your keyboard/other hardware work correctly.
  9. rc-update add dbus default && rc-update add hald default (in case there was an issue there).
  10. /etc/init.d/dbus start (restarts your should-be-fixed dbus).
  11. if this fails, post your /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log files, and we'll go from there.

<deletia>

Arguably, console/policy/etckit are just overengineered/underdocumented frameworks for breaking stuff that worked flawlessly before and I'm just asking for trouble by using them, but hey, another technology from the bowels of gnome that kde adopted! Neat, huh. :)

Spiffy!

I have to add one more step to your procedure, but I now have my laptop working with xorg-server-1.6.3. What's more, it's working better than it ever did before, because now the mouse wheel (coming through a KVM and the port-replicator PS-2 port) works, which it never did before. More functional than ever.

But I suggest you add this step, gleaned from elsewhere in this thread...
Code:
8a. Copy the the misplaced xorg-server dbus file into the right place:
  cp /etc/X11/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/

Now I just have to figure out how to get Xephyr running, which is why I got into this mess in the first place.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonflower wrote:
root is of course in the video group.

I think the user needs to be in the video group since Xorg is SUID. - not sure, but almost. :)
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgrading to dbus-1.2.12 from dbus-1.3.0 fixed it it for me for now :D. I deleted the (possibly obselete) file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf, keeping only /etc/X11/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-server.conf. ('equery belongs xorg-server.conf'.)

Long take. This is really frustrating that seemingly trivial upgrades break several stuff. This time, I was not sure who caused it. First of all, X fails to restart *only* after logging out of kde-4.3.0, it does start fine for the first time and also works fine wih gnome again and again. (Happens with both kdm and gdm. Btw, I log in as root :p.) Xorg-server-1.6.3 moved this file xorg-server.conf - with which I get this 'access denied' error in Xorg.0.log along with 'config/hal: couldn't initalize context' error. If I moved it back to old place, I don't get the 'access denied' message, but the 'initialize context' error still happens and X fails. On top of it, I also get a error message in dmesg regarding mtrr. And I did see that upgrading from 2.6.30 to 2.6.30.4 changed some mtrr related values. So I was totally unsure what caused it (and actually still unsure) - xorg-server-1.6.3 or dbus-1.3.0 or hal-0.5.13 or kernel-2.6.30.4 or kde-4.3.0. Most plausible was xorg-server-1.6.3, but that didn't fix it. Fortunately, downgrading dbus worked. (Unfortunately, it seems it didn't work for everyone above.) Thanks for all the help :).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: