/etc/._cfg* files not being created
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: /etc/._cfg* files not being created Reply with quote

Spent some time searching, but couldn't find anything on this. Sorry if I overlooked something.

Last night I emerged a number of packages that required updates to my make.conf and make.global files (ethereal, Pan, and RealPlayer8). I got the 'emerge --help config for instructions' message at the end of the mergings, but when I check the /etc directory, the ._cfg* files weren't there. Only the files created the night before were there. Thinking there might be a problem, I moved those files elsewhere, unmerged one of the packages I'd just installed, rebooted, and tried to merge the package again. I again got the 'need to update files' message at the end, but no new ._cfg files were in /etc.

Yes, I'm running my emerge as root. Yes, I have plenty of space (nearly 20 Gig free) and memory (half a gig real, `free` showed 100+ meg available at the time). I have not intentionally changed my CONFIG_PROTECT or CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK settings. I have no idea why the files aren't showing up, but they just aren't there.

Is there any way for me to figure out what changes needed to be made without those files? I can update my make files if I know what needs to go in them, but I don't know where to look. Also, does anyone have any ideas as to why these files aren't getting created? Any pointers of help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

RagManX
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure your using the right syntax to find them

#find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
are you sure your using the right syntax to find them

#find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'

Absolutely. Tried using the above find command, and also tried a simple '#ls /etc/._cfg*' and had no luck with either approach. Even tried '#ls -FCA' in /etc to check all dot files to see if there were any new ones. Finally, I tried '#ls -ltA' to see what files were most recently created/modified, and they didn't show up that way either.

RagManX
[UK]Superdude
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem until i started using etc-update, a utility in the gentoolkit package. It does a good job of finding ._cfg files and then allowing you to update them fairly easily.
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UK]Superdude wrote:
I had a similar problem until i started using etc-update, a utility in the gentoolkit package. It does a good job of finding ._cfg files and then allowing you to update them fairly easily.

Thought that would help, but it only finds the first ._cfg* files ever made on my system, which I've moved to another directory in hopes of fixing this problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I reckon I'll keep plugging at it until I figure it out.

RagManX
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

Still having this problem. Anyone have any clue why my box never creates the .cfg* files?

RagManX
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK variables set to in /etc/make.globals?
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
What are your CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK variables set to in /etc/make.globals?

CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/share/config /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf"

I've never altered these intentionally, so those are what has been set somewhere along the way - I assume those are defaults from my initial install.

RagManX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: