Using the system while running a world update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Using the system while running a world update Reply with quote

I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer to my question.. so sorry if this has already been mentioned. Is there any problem with using the system while 'emerge -u world' is running? I don't see how there could be, since everything I need is loaded into memory (all I'm running is opera, irssi, and xmms on fluxbox)... but has anyone had any problems with it?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine ... the only thing I can think of to worry about is if you are emerging shared libraries in use by running applications, which might cause said applications to require restarting, and may cause them to crash in the meantime. I can't see any long-term damage resulting, however.
ebichu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Should be fine ... the only thing I can think of to worry about is if you are emerging shared libraries in use by running applications, which might cause said applications to require restarting, and may cause them to crash in the meantime. I can't see any long-term damage resulting, however.

I don't this will crash applications. The old copy of the shared library will still be there on disk (and some of it in memory also) when it is removed and replaced, but there won't be any directory entries pointing to it (they'll be pointing to the new copy of the library instead).

It's a good idea to restart the applications using the library anyway (or reboot), in order to recover the disk space and memory that was occupied by the old copy of the library.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: