Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Creating a company to develop well-known opensource projects
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Creating a company to develop well-known opensource projects Reply with quote

Hi there :)

Basic idea of this company - development, maintenance and support of well-known open-source projects. My intention is to allow people who work here to choose themselves basically any open-source project or projects that they want to work on.

Do you interested to write patches for KDE ? Or maybe to translate documentation for Django ? Or to hack on the Linux kernel ? Or maybe all of this together and not only ? Then maybe you will be interested to work in my company because here you get money for working on open-source projects you Love.

I want to hear your opinion about this startup, your attitude to it, your willingness or unwillingness to work here and why and the list of open-source projects that you are personally interested in and would like to work full-time. Thank you in advance :).

My email for direct contacts if you want to rotmer@gmail.com .

With best regards, Alex.

PS Already existing discussion about this company http://www.reddit.com/r/opensource/comments/8zvne/creating_a_company_to_develop_maintain_and/
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great idea for a company...

...but where do you get money?

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:

Please, allow me to handle these questions. You will be generously be paid for your work on open source projects you like and love. All the rest is my own business.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plisk wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

Please, allow me to handle these questions. You will be generously be paid for your work on open source projects you like and love. All the rest is my own business.
well, this is a great idea for a company - I'd work for you in a minute (if I wasn't still in high school).... but still... where do you get the money? there's no income, and I doubt a philanthropist would be on these here forums...

Google summer of code is a similar idea - but google has money, and is improving their image by investing in OSS development. But you? what's in it for you?

plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
plisk wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

well, this is a great idea for a company - I'd work for you in a minute (if I wasn't still in high school)....

All i personally care about - so you have interest and passion in development of open source projects. All the rest almost don't matter for me - your education, background, age, nationality, experience and so on.

poly_poly-man wrote:
but still... where do you get the money? there's no income, and I doubt a philanthropist would be on these here forums...

Google summer of code is a similar idea - but google has money, and is improving their image by investing in OSS development. But you? what's in it for you?

Enough of this. This is my business where i'm getting money. All you should care about - you will be generously and stable be paid for your work.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:

My main intent for creating this company - to help humanity through technological development at the maximum possible speed in the area that i'm feeling myself knowledgeable and experienced - in open-source software development.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plisk wrote:
Enough of this. This is my business where i'm getting money. All you should care about - you will be generously and stable be paid for your work.
Well, I think I share the sentiments of others here - with the particular attitude you're taking, it's impossible that you either don't have a solid source of money, or it's an evil source of money. We just want to know how your business works...

plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
plisk wrote:

Well, I think I share the sentiments of others here - with the particular attitude you're taking, it's impossible that you either don't have a solid source of money, or it's an evil source of money. We just want to know how your business works...

I don't care about any of your sentiments or any sentiments of others. And i don't care about you or others wanting to know how my business works neither.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plisk wrote:
I don't care about any of your sentiments or any sentiments of others. And i don't care about you or others wanting to know how my business works neither.
If you don't care about people who are interested in working for you but want a little info, then you're gonna have a hard time finding workers. But of course, you don't care about my sentiments.

Further, the issue is that few people (if any) are gonna take on this job based on the fact that they want at least some guarantee that for job security and with a vague description of where money will come from, you don't get any of that.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
plisk wrote:

If you don't care about people who are interested in working for you

I do care about people who are going to work with me. What i don't care at all - their attitude, feelings and the rest they have about me, my company, my business etc.

slycordinator wrote:
but want a little info, then you're gonna have a hard time finding workers. But of course, you don't care about my sentiments.

You are so correct - i don't care at all about what do you think.

slycordinator wrote:
Further, the issue is that few people (if any) are gonna take on this job based on the fact that they want at least some guarantee that for job security and with a vague description of where money will come from, you don't get any of that.

I don't care about what do you think and in what do you believe or don't believe in.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
plisk wrote:
If you don't care about people who are interested in working for you but want a little info, then you're gonna have a hard time finding workers. But of course, you don't care about my sentiments.

And now, after we cleared everything up - show me your commits in OS projects you are taking part in, your roles in those projects etc.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
plisk wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:

well, this is a great idea for a company - I'd work for you in a minute (if I wasn't still in high school).... but still... where do you get the money? there's no income, and I doubt a philanthropist would be on these here forums...

The same goes and for you too - enough empty words and talks. Show me your commits in OS projects you are taking part in.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plisk wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
plisk wrote:

And now, after we cleared everything up - show me your commits in OS projects you are taking part in, your roles in those projects etc.
Where did I say "I'm applying for your job"?

Hint: Just because I explained why it's dumb to do hand-waving about job security explanations for your prospective employees doesn't mean I am a prospective employee.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
plisk wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
plisk wrote:

Where did I say "I'm applying for your job"?

Hint: Just because I explained why it's dumb to do hand-waving about job security explanations for your prospective employees doesn't mean I am a prospective employee.

Okay, then leave me alone.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plisk wrote:
What i don't care at all - their attitude, feelings and the rest they have about me, my company, my business etc.
You should. If someone doesn't feel like they can trust the boss/company, are they ever gonna become employees to begin with?

But since you've asked me to leave you alone, I'll leave it at this. Just trying to point this stuff out to you. If you're vague on how money will come in, you'll be unlikely to get any employees because they'll be more likely to work for someone who can be a little firm on the company status.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
plisk wrote:
What i don't care at all - their attitude, feelings and the rest they have about me, my company, my business etc.
You should. If someone doesn't feel like they can trust the boss/company, are they ever gonna become employees to begin with?

But since you've asked me to leave you alone, I'll leave it at this. Just trying to point this stuff out to you. If you're vague on how money will come in, you'll be unlikely to get any employees because they'll be more likely to work for someone who can be a little firm on the company status.

LEAVE ME ALONE. GO AWAY.
klixon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf?

no really, wtf?

I would never _ever_ work for someone with an attitude like yours... And i don't even care how much fun the job would be or how good it pays. I can't trust you with an attitude like yours and i won't work for someone i can't trust.

Thank you
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klixon wrote:
wtf?

no really, wtf?

I would never _ever_ work for someone with an attitude like yours... And i don't even care how much fun the job would be or how good it pays. I can't trust you with an attitude like yours and i won't work for someone i can't trust.

Thank you

I don't care about anything you said here.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
:lol:

:) http://imgur.com/fUtTP.gif
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In plisk's profile:

Quote:
Occupation: Lightworker, Keeper of Frequency, Spiritual mentor, Healer
Interests: Spirituality, 2012, Beauty, Energy, Freedom, Happiness, Health, Ideas, Japan, Love, Truth, Wisdom, future, balance, singularity, transhumanism

:?

This is joke.
plisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts wrote:
In plisk's profile:

Quote:
Occupation: Lightworker, Keeper of Frequency, Spiritual mentor, Healer
Interests: Spirituality, 2012, Beauty, Energy, Freedom, Happiness, Health, Ideas, Japan, Love, Truth, Wisdom, future, balance, singularity, transhumanism

:?

This is joke.

I don't care about your opinion about me, about who i am, about my company, my business etc. If you came just to say that - leave me alone. GO AWAY.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be hot babes working at the company too? Could you provide a sample?

I don't care about salary (as long as it is > 5x local poverty level), but I must have pussy. Or is this a question for the HR department? Is the HR chick hot? (I find the HR chick is often hot.)

Is there a fooseball table (table soccer)?

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
shash
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More "information" (essentially the same discussion) on reddit (found on his blog)... Of particular interest is this post...

It's either a pyramid scheme of some sort, or some psychology student's experiment. Looking at his "interests" and that post, I tend towards the former, but you never know with Poe's law...

EDIT: Also a post on Ubuntu forums...

@OP: If you're really serious about this, please consider: On every forum that you've addressed this to (at least, three that I know of now), you've been asked the same question, and given the same answer. The thread's gone in the same direction in all three forums. Ask yourself: Is it your attitude? Is it the fact that you don't have an explainable business model?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify: the pussy must be free (as in beer) and free (as in disease).

Also, what are the travel requirements (e.g. what percentage of travel is extraterrestrial)?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: