View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerframil wrote:
Quote:
ACPI seems to be broken.

:lol: Why am I not in the least bit surprised. I would point out that "power-off-on-shutdown" support actually seems to work properly with APM in 2.6, so unless there is a specific need for ACPI, I still subscribe to the policy of avoidance! 2.4 kernels also work well with pci=noacpi as a compromise, but I'm not sure if that is the case in 2.6 at present.

Okay, I talked to wli - and it seems he changed the VM even more for this release so the combination of -wli and nvidia drivers ain't the best mix, ACPI just seems to hasten the downfall of my box.. looks like it's back to -mm for us.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame that wli is a no-go (and I use the nvidia drivers too)... mm seems so vanilla now. :)
EnormousTooth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these kernels, Love-sources has made my system a lot faster. Keep up the good work.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I know what's causing the problem - but changing it isn't trivial since the part it hooks into is in the closed driver. The problem basically is that wli killed pmd_offset infavor of another better way to handle this.

the wli based love kernel is FINE, it's smooth but without the nvidia module some of us are screwed. So unless we can make nVidia's engineers do a quick hack (haha - no chance in hell), we have to continue on -mm.... who feels like bitching to nVidia ? :)
Vagabond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those unemcumbered by a NVidia chip? (I ditched my nvidia card in favour of an ATI)

Vag
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagabond wrote:
How about those unemcumbered by a NVidia chip? (I ditched my nvidia card in favour of an ATI)

Vag

ATI's have closed drivers as well, and the drivers for Linux suck last I tried.. they would in all likelihood have the same problem..Anyways you are welcome to try out the kernel if you like, throw me an email and I'll send you a link to the dangerously untested patch.
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Vagabond wrote:

Vag

ATI's have closed drivers as well, and the drivers for Linux suck last I tried.. they would in all likelihood have the same problem..Anyways you are welcome to try out the kernel if you like, throw me an email and I'll send you a link to the dangerously untested patch.

Any chance you could post the link? If not plz shoot it to mstearn A@T@ hotmail.com. (i HATE spam spiders)

on the issue of schedulers, I heard something about AS being faster for compiling, is this still true, orhas this changed.

Also, anyone know if the neomagic fb issues have been fixxed? It has been on and off through-out 2.5/6. Sometime i just get occasional curuption, othertimes, it refues to reboot so i have to use unacceled vesa. :cry:
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-edit.

Link and post removed since people didn't seem to understand it was a completely broken beta release.

Last edited by Lovechild on Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm.. i use the nvidia-kernel, so i will not try it yet.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:
hm.. i use the nvidia-kernel, so i will not try it yet.

No worries, there's no way I'll put out a kernel that doesn't run the nvidia kernel module since I use that myself. DANGEROUS is only meant for those who really really wants to test something like the VM work, see the more users wli gets feedback from the better his work can get since this might be early inclusion 2.7 work I figured we might as well give it a spin since it's really really smooth.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd love to keep using the 2.6-kernel but all the problems with CPU-hogging (that started to affect the whole system, not just the sound) started to tick me off. So I'm back at using the 2.4-series again with 2.4.22-ck2. Now my system is useable again while emerging and XMMS doesnt slur or skip while loading other apps.

Don't know what the heck went wrong, but ATM I don't care. Just want a useable system.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently on 2.6.0-test7 and I see none of the CPU hogging people have been bitching about, futhermore it's completely impossible to figure out what's wrong without proper data to back it.

If there's a problem in the vanilla kernel that causes a CPU hogging behavior you should make a posting on lkml, whining to us certainly won't fix the bug.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Okay I found a way to release it..

I call this the DANGEROUS release...

http://userportal.iha.dk/~01876/brave.bz2

Don't use this patchset if you use any kind of closed source modules - like the nvidia and ATI drivers.. It will break and do strange stuff.. I promise you as much - you are using this at your own risk completely, if this patch blows up your house, gets your teenage daughter pregant and/or gets your dog abduted by aliens - I had nothing to do with it, and I'm not to blame !!

Also, it's wise to avoid the 4K stack option.

Is the kernel safe after a opengl-update xfree?
Or do we have to use "nv" instead of "nvidia"?
I ask because I can live without good opengl, but I can't go above 1024x768 with nv on here, and that's just not acceptable. ;)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

Don't use this patchset if you use any kind of closed source modules - like the nvidia and ATI drivers.. It will break and do strange stuff.. I promise you as much - you are using this at your own risk completely, if this patch blows up your house, gets your teenage daughter pregant and/or gets your dog abduted by aliens - I had nothing to do with it, and I'm not to blame !!

I ask because I can live without good opengl, but I can't go above 1024x768 with nv on here, and that's just not acceptable. ;)

as long as you don't load the nvidia kernel module it should be at least debugable.

opengl-update xfree and nvidia -> nv would be the only way to ensure it doesn't crap out with useless output.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
bssteph wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

as long as you don't load the nvidia kernel module it should be at least debugable.

opengl-update xfree and nvidia -> nv would be the only way to ensure it doesn't crap out with useless output.

Well then this machine is right out.
However my laptop's radeon is supported in the kernel's DRM, so I think I'll try it on there.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mind you if the drm module uses pmd_offset then you'll have to recode it so it conforms to the new interface, I think wli fixed the drivers shipped with the kernel but that's about it.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okidoki. getting it now and compiling it right after.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
mind you if the drm module uses pmd_offset then you'll have to recode it so it conforms to the new interface, I think wli fixed the drivers shipped with the kernel but that's about it.

Yeah, my driver ships with the kernel. Will let you know how kernel goes when it's all said and done.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:
okidoki. getting it now and compiling it right after.

I wouldn't do that if I was you, you just stated you used the nvidia kernel module... without the correct driver X sometimes acts strangely.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm.. i just compiled it and booted into it.
so far it seems to run fine, though i did
get some errors during compile.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is sweet. Things seem snappier loading into memory.. I didn't clock it but I'd say that the kernel's a bit faster in booting too. This is nice stuff. I enabled "Top-down vma allocation" too, since it said it'd conserve virtualspace. Maybe I'll try the 4K block thing later.
glxgears works fine too.

But interestingly, could it be that wli's vm is TOO good? Updating the portage cache was a lot faster but made the rest of the system nice and choppy until it finished.

PS OT:
Did anyone else freak out at make menuconfig before they realized that a lot of stuff was thrown into Device Drivers?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
Oh, this is sweet. Things seem snappier loading into memory.. I didn't clock it but I'd say that the kernel's a bit faster in booting too. This is nice stuff. I enabled "Top-down vma allocation" too, since it said it'd conserve virtualspace. Maybe I'll try the 4K block thing later.
glxgears works fine too.

But interestingly, could it be that wli's vm is TOO good? Updating the portage cache was a lot faster but made the rest of the system nice and choppy until it finished.

PS OT:
Did anyone else freak out at make menuconfig before they realized that a lot of stuff was thrown into Device Drivers?

Well the choppiness is likely to be a scheduler thing, not VM, I think Nicks scheduler might be unfair in a few areas (it's more simplistic in nature) - where Cons scheduler is technically correct.

Nicks scheduler fx. has no interactivity estimator.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
bssteph wrote:
glxgears works fine too.

PS OT:

Well the choppiness is likely to be a scheduler thing, not VM, I think Nicks scheduler might be unfair in a few areas (it's more simplistic in nature) - where Cons scheduler is technically correct.

Nicks scheduler fx. has no interactivity estimator.

I never had chop like that with nick's sched though. It was real bad. I thought xfree had locked or something for a while.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not put in the 4k thing, nor the vma thing.
so it's not that DANGEROUS over here. it runs
fine though. so far.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:
i did not put in the 4k thing, nor the vma thing.
so it's not that DANGEROUS over here. it runs
fine though. so far.

Yeah and as soon as you load the nvidia module and start some 3D it hits line 2252 in nv.c and BOOOM !

it's extremely unsafe with nvidia module, I mean it will run with the module loaded fine untill suddenly it reboots..

I'm pulling the binary in a few hours so people have had a chance to fuck up their boxes I do not want any kind of bugreports on that kernel you are using it knowingly that it can cause all kinds of problems, it changes the entire VM for crying out loud.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: