Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
newbie portage questions...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: newbie portage questions... Reply with quote

1) I want to install gtk+ 2.0.5 without gtk-doc because it depends on too many stuff. How do I do it? I tried to edit the ebuilds but all the gtk+ deps
(glib, pango, atk as well as gtk) have gtk-doc in their ebuilds in a section named depend:
Code:

DEPEND="{RDEPEND}
>=dev-util/pkgconfig-0.12.0
doc? ( >=dev/util/gtk-doc-0.9)"

I commented out the doc line in all the gtk ebuilds
Code:

DEPEND="{RDEPEND}
>=dev-util/pkgconfig-0.12.0
#doc? ( >=dev/util/gtk-doc-0.9)"

and it worked, gtk+ was emerged without gtk-doc
but is it normal? Is there a better way to do this?
According to the USE variable guide putting a "-doc"
in USE will disable extra documentation but I want the docs
of other programs, I just don't want to install gtk-doc.
Also, when I comment the doc line do I need to move
the " symbol?

2) I know there's another question in this forum about this subject
but it's not very clear, so, I wanted to ask where to place custom ebuild scripts and how to acces them. Do I need to follow the directory structure of the portage build tree (placing a mozilla ebuild script in net-www/mozilla in my custom ebuild dir for example)? Do I need to add the directory to the path? And, is the only way of installing custom ebuilds is going to the custom ebuild directory and typing emerge foo.ebuild?

3) When I type "emerge mozilla" portage tries to install mozilla-1.0-r3.
When I edited the file /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and uncommented mozilla 1.1b, "emerge mozilla" installs mozilla 1.1b.
My question is, how does portage knows which version of mozilla to install
(1.1b or 1.0-r3) and is there any way of unmasking packages other than editing package.mask?

Thanks
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) -- You can take many approaches to this question. First portage allows for many features via switches (emerge --help) one of them allows you to install a package without it's dependencies (no deps) and you could have accomplished this using the no deps switch. Also you mentioned a -doc variable for your USE settings as defined in your /etc/make.conf -- you can make one time effective changes to your use settings at runtime using export. You could have said:

Code:
export USE="-doc"
emerge gtk

This would have only disabled doc for any builds you ran in this console.

2) -- I have no idea what you are asking, are you talking about submitting ebuilds you made for others to use? Are you talking about ebuilds that you intend to never share, that you do not want to be destroyed using emerge rsync?

3) -- Unmasking a package is only done in the package.mask (that I know of). Portage automagically 'knows' which packages are the newest versions and will always install the newest version that is available and unmasked. So when you say emerge mozilla on a standard system you get 1.0-r3 but the instant you change the mask to include 1.1b then it becomes the newest unmasked version and is installed instead.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

-- I have no idea what you are asking, are you talking about submitting ebuilds you made for others to use? Are you talking about ebuilds that you intend to never share, that you do not want to be destroyed using emerge rsync?

Yes, I asked about ebuilds that I made for personal use.
Where should I put them?

Quote:

Portage automagically 'knows' which packages are the newest versions and will always install the newest version that is available and unmasked.

How does it know? What makes it decide that mozilla-1.1_beta.ebuild
is newer than mozilla-1.0-r3.ebuild?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Yes, I asked about ebuilds that I made for personal use.
Where should I put them?

If you're using a >2.0.20 version of portage, you can try putting them in any directory you like and specifying that directory in a PORTDIR_OVERLAY= statement in /etc/make.conf. Otherwise, put them in /usr/portage/wherever/ and keep copies around in case they get erased by rsync.

Quote:
How does it know? What makes it decide that mozilla-1.1_beta.ebuild
is newer than mozilla-1.0-r3.ebuild?

By lexical comparisons on the version number - described in more detail in the Gentoo development HOWTO.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: