What about uClibc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rm-rf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: What about uClibc? Reply with quote

How about porting portage to a uClibc based distribution? It would be tiny and very fast, and better still, I think a lot of work and testing could be done with the root filesystem they provide on http://www.uclibc.org/ !
romaninsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I got obsessed by the same idea. Recently I found out about http://www.geocities.com/robm351/uclibc/index.html.

I am working on modified ebuilds for portage and uclibc to make patching easier on uclibc based system. There are still no easy way to build root with portage.
joshmccormack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: any more news? Reply with quote

I took a look at the page you listed below. Interesting. He's goal of getting more power from his hardware, very in line with the whole Gentoo thing, also looks like he's set up a workable environment for doing embedded work. Gentoo's compile from sources, and being able to compile for other architectures seems perfect. Have you made any progress in your use of uclibc?

Josh

romaninsh wrote:
Some time ago I got obsessed by the same idea. Recently I found out about http://www.geocities.com/robm351/uclibc/index.html

I am working on modified ebuilds for portage and uclibc to make patching easier on uclibc based system. There are still no easy way to build root with portage.
romaninsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you made any progress in your use of uclibc?

Nope, it get's too complex to compile KDE/QT/Gnome and all other applications i need for work, but posibility to get rid of old, bloated and unnefective glibc is more like the primary goal to me.

romans
indros
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on an endevour for this as well. The buildroot method is a really good start, but there are still issues. I kinda cheat to get stuff working, like an emerge -i ncurses, but it usually comes back to bite me in the end.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: