console font / colors on Ultra 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pathwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: console font / colors on Ultra 5 Reply with quote

Hello,

Many thanks for Gentoo / SPARC. I spent the weekend liberating my old Ultra 5 from Solaris and it ROCKS.

My question is, when booting from the CD and doing the install, you can see the screen switchover from the crappy sun black on white background (that might have looked cool in 1986 or someting :D ) to the linux-ish white on black with higher resolution console fonts.

However, when I finished the install and booted the system as itself for the first time, the screen never changed and while it's still a kickass gentoo sparc box, it has that crappy sun black on white look. It's like the framebuffer is not enabled, or there's some config I need to do.

I'll never run X on this box anyhow -- it's just a web / email server for my home network -- so I don't *really* care what it looks like, but I'd like to fix this just the same. Is there a kernel module I need to enable or something?
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats OBP and you cant change the color.

I did it the other way round and changed the Virtual Terminal too black on white ;)

http://0x1337.net/pub/dscn0529.jpg

As you can see, I even added a SUN framebuffer logo ;)
pathwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's not quite true. OBP is not the issue, it's the final color when it's all done. When you boot from the cd, you get, at the end, a white-on-black fairly high resolution text mode console. The OPB is still white, it just changes very early in the boot process.

what I can't figure out is what's the difference between the livecd and my system. I think it's the kernel... a thread a little bit below points to the M64 driver, which I'll try later today when I'm at home.
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathwalker wrote:
Quote:

That's not quite true. OBP is not the issue, it's the final color when it's all done. When you boot from the cd, you get, at the end, a white-on-black fairly high resolution text mode console. The OPB is still white, it just changes very early in the boot process.

what I can't figure out is what's the difference between the livecd and my system. I think it's the kernel... a thread a little bit below points to the M64 driver, which I'll try later today when I'm at home.

Ah ok, I understood that wrong...
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathwalker wrote:
Quote:

If you're using the built-in video card, then in the kernel you have to select in the menuconfig:

Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->Support for frame buffer devices
Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->ATI Mach64 display support
Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->Mach 64 CT/VT/GT/LT (incl. 3D RAGE) support
Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->PCI framebuffers

After that, you'll get a frame buffer console.
pathwalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->Support for frame buffer devices
Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->Mach 64 CT/VT/GT/LT (incl. 3D RAGE) support
Console Drivers--->Frame-buffer support--->PCI framebuffers

that worked perfectly! Thanks, that kicks ass.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: