Corel product for Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faffy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Corel product for Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hi!
I am looking for Corel Wordperfect and Photopaint and possibly Corel Draw for Gentoo linux. Is it possible to get them in ebuild format? Source would be ok too, I think.

Faffy
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh ... dont expect Corel to give out their sources. Not for CorelDraw at least! 8)
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is dead. But you can get CorelPhotopaint for linux in RPM format. It is *not* source code, but actualy M$ windows binaries running under a specialzied wine emulator. Just go to their website. Corel Photopaint is ``free'' as in no-charge (not free as you can view the source.... :( ).

I think you could probably use rpm2targz to convert the wine version and install CorelDraw 9 in the Linux Box...

I am going to give it a try. Wish me luck
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to gentoo suggestions.

--kurt
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free Photopaint wine isn't compiled against the most recent version of glibc... Because of that I was afraid to unpack the converted tar.gz into the root of the filesystem. Can one tell if there is more than one version of glibc installed.

Also Corel uses some strange font-server called fontastic . . . I don't want an extra service running that I don't need. (I thought XFree86 4.2 with Xft extensions took care of all the font niceities).

It assumes a standard init system as opposed to gentoo's rc-6 (I think that is what it is called)

Somone said that it worked with some newer distributions of wine (see http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=440&versionId=1095 ) but I can't get it to install with the default version of wine currently available in the portage tree. Perhaps I need an *actual* windows directory...?

Since this thread has been moved to the suggestion forum. I have a suggestion . . .

I was wondering if Gentoo could have a pseudo rpm facilities that takes, checks dependencies, and installs the rpm into the portage tree for easy removal. Perhaps it can even be done with a script. I personally *hate* RPMs, but many commercial apps ship with this detestible package manager.... (The script would probably depend on rpm2targz ??? )

I, personally, do not know how to check dependencies with portage, or I could, perhaps, write such a script myself....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: