gentoo on Mini2440 ARM9 Board
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gucky_der_Mausbiber
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: gentoo on Mini2440 ARM9 Board Reply with quote

Hello,
last week i get this device http://www.friendlyarm.de/products/mini2440 including a 3,5 " Touchscreen. There was qtopia 2.2 running on the device, but i want to run a "normal" gentoo on this device (no embedded-version, only embedded if normal installation fails). so i want to know if someone here has gentoo running on an arm9, or better, if someone has gentoo running on a mini2440.
Don't know how to beginn the installation? Should I use crossdev? Which bootloader should i choose, etc...
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your questions regarding bootloader & co. should be answered here.
Gucky_der_Mausbiber
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
your questions regarding bootloader & co. should be answered here.

yes and no, this site is about embedded-gentoo and works with toolchain and crossdev, but i want to know if there is a possibilty to do a "nomal" gentoo installtion or if somebody has a "ready-to-go" gentoo image for this device.
armin76
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link alex.blackbit posted doesn't have nothing to do with crossdev and stuff. Its the ARM handbook, where you can do a normal gentoo installation. Yet you need to boot into a linux system first.

I'd suggest you come by #gentoo-embedded @ irc.freenode.net and talk with solar(US timezone), he probably has some ideas.
Gucky_der_Mausbiber
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back again.
first thanks again for tips, and i think starting with a boot-loader and a kernel would be enough for the first step. to do this i use 4 urls:

1. http://code.google.com/p/mini2440/wiki/MiniBringup
i used this to know how to connect to the serial console with picocom and i used this for various nand manipulations described in there

2. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mini2440
this site shows howto build u-boot.bin and how to upload it to the device, later on it shows the same to the kernel

3. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/index.xml?part=1&chap=1
here i followed the steps to build a toolchain with the "arm-unknown-linux-gnu" as cross compiler

4. http://www.friendlyarm.de/downloads
i used the kernel provided on this site

so, here is what i've been done:

the first thing was the toolchain, described in (3)
Code:
emerge crossdev

crossdev --target arm-unknown-linux-gnu

there was no error and it runs fine.
so next step was to compile the bootloader, i followed the steps show by site (2) to get u-boot from the git and compilation runs fine.
to get access to the device i used "picocom" showed by site (1). flashing u-boot runs fine too (i had to change the upload-size of u-boot.bin to 241305), upload works fine too.
so, now the porblems start. the howto shows on site 2 make a break at this point. after ulpoading flash they forget to tell how to start the new bootloader.
okay, no problem, i used the howto on site 1. later on this articel they tell to run u-boot with "go 0x33f80000" in the vivi-shell. i looked at the staring point of "my" u-boot, changed the adress an fine ... bootloader works, "i'm in".
now, i follow the howto from site 2.
Code:
MINI2440 # saveenv
MINI2440 # nand scrub
MINI2440 # nand createbbt
MINI2440 # saveenv

everything worked fine at this moment.
now the howto tell me the following
Quote:
Now power off the board, set the NOR switch back to off, and power on the board. We verify the version and then prepare config storage in flash

If i do this and try to connect to serial console, i get no connection. the devices seems to start, the display shows nothing and thats all. i dont't know how to connect.
okay, frusted from this i tried another way. I switched the NOR back to on and i doing the exact things i again from beginng, but i don't power off the device or switch the NOR.
because, if you looking at the howto on site 1, there is no power off. okay, from now i folled the howto on site 2 again, but without reboot.
i used the kernel from site 4, take the "config_N35"-config an renamed it to ".config" ... then i compiled the kernel with the arm as target ... everythings works fine.
i followed the step to build an image from the kernel-bin - works fine ... upload the kernel works, but when i reboot the device there is always the same result - nothing.
i think the error must be in the bootloader, but i'm absolut new to this way of installing software, so don't now what to do to find the problem.
another question ist how to config the bootloader, so that i can use the 2 GB sd-card as root-filesystem ... didn't find a howto for this.

perhaps somebody can help me?

PS: sorry for the bad english, i'm german and i rarely writing english.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: